1/19 Cobb AMPS 59 +5 31, rt37 +7 34 +9 37 +11 39 PMBG 41 pm+1 60 ??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Cobb(GA), Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Yikes! I guess Cobb got the memo that I'm off today. I did shoot a reduced dose of 4 units. I probably should have sucked it up and shot a full dose, but I always like to err on the side of caution.

Cobb is currently sitting on the kitchen table.

Question...do you think it's a coincidence that we are getting these good numbers at the same time we switched food? I picked food that has the same amount of carbs (5%) that the other food did. Just curious...

~Suzanne

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Look at Cobb surfing green for so many hours!! That is wonderful. Which food were you using and what do you switch to and when?

3. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Hey Elise,

We changed Cobb's food Saturday night. So he was already seeing green but was popping above 100 as well. Since we switched, he's been under 100 the whole time.

He was eating Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets flavor, we switched him to grain free Wellness...chicke2n and turkey flavors.

It's probably a coincidence, a happy coincidence. :smuggrin:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Why did you switch? I've been feeding a combo of ff, trader joes'c for mc, and soulistitc for hc but started to use friskies again yesterday. Just curious.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne,
    I believe that Wellness Chicken and Wellness Turkey are both 4%, so you are feeding 1% fewer carbs. So, yes, it could make a difference. But it's also possible that Cobb metabolizes the foods differently. I feed Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets as one of the foods Rusty gets. It always used to spike his bgs, even though it is only supposed to be 3%. Now it no longer spikes his bgs!
    It is one of Rusty's staples, along with Wellness chicken and Wellness turkey. Both Wellness chicken and Wellness turkey have higher calories than most foods. This is good for maintaining weight, if that is a concern.

Have a great day,
    Ella & Rusty

Yo Cobb, I'm keeping my eye on you from the beach. Surf Safe!
    ~ Rusty, LagoonMeister

6. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

We switched because the smell of the food was really getting to us. It was turning my stomach every time I smelled it, and Matt felt like it was stinking up the whole house.

Looks like it's a good thing I'm home today. Looks like Cobb's depot got ahead of me again. Should I have given a reduced shot last night instead of this morning?

7. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Ella, you think that 1% could make this much of a difference? Dang. I had some 4 and 5% foods circled on my list...I figured they would be close enough to not make a huge difference! I guess I was wrong...

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Each cat is different ...

And remember: the food % calories from carbohydrate are a snapshot in time. They can change with every batch of food. Track the batch numbers, too, as sometimes major shifts in ingredients can set off GI and/or glucose upsets. We see this most in the fall, when the fall slaughter happens.

tiffmaxee and Suzanne & Cobb(GA) like this.
  9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi again, Suzanne, I really don't know. I think BJM's explanation is right on target. And we must not forget ECID!!! And also, ECCC (Every Cat Can Change)! (I just made that up:))

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yikes, Cobbham, I thought we'd had that discussion about surfing safely! :eek:

Depending on where he is at the end of the cycle today Suzanne, you might want to give him another depot reducing dose tonight so he'll be safe for you going to work tomorrow. Going below 40 automatically means a dose reduction. I'm wondering whether you should be trying 5.0U as the new dose.

As for sensibilities to differences in food %, it's also ECID. I feed Neko foods in the range of 3-5%, and even though I track it, I've yet to see any differences based on what food she's getting. And as BJ mentioned, there is seasonal sourcing in the mix. Manufacturers review their meat (and veggie) sources periodically and can change them for one reason or another, usually costs. Different farmers feed different foods, resulting in slightly different product. In winter animals get different feed than summer, at least those that have access to outdoors. All sorts of variables.

11. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

OK, Cobb. You win. Ease up. I'll wait for you so we can dose-e-doe together. No rush. ... Polly

Hmmmm, on all the food discussion. Somethings for me to think about. (And keep track of!)

Marilyn and Polly

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) likes this.
  12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

We have waterwings for deep-end surfers. You need a set, Cobb?
    ~ Rusty, LagoonMeister

Not the day you expected, Suzanne? Another good 5% food is Wellness Core Turkey & Duck.

Come on up, Cobb!

Ella

13. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Definitely not the day I was expecting! I had to run out on Cobb to get Matty from daycare...he apparently has the flu...awesome. But he doesn't act like he feels bad, so I'm confused.

Given where Cobb is right now, I'm thinking it might be a skip shot night.

Hey, Rusty! Throw me a set of those waterwings. I ventured too far and apparently need some help getting back! -Cobb

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  14. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Yowsa! :woot: Great job staying on top of everything, Suzanne! Many vines for Matty.
    Liz

15. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Thanks Liz! I'm really confused about Matty actually. I guess the Motrin brought his fever down, but he is running around, acting perfectly normal. If you saw him right now, you wouldn't think he is sick at all. So, I'm a little confused. Daycare called and said he had a slight fever (100.5) They said they had one child in the room with the flu, one with pneumonia. So I figured, go ahead and get him in to the Dr. About 30 minutes later, his fever was at 103.6. Since we all think today is the first day he's really been sick, they gave him some Tamiflu. We are hoping, since we caught it quick and got him on meds, it won't last as long. Fingers crossed.

Now...on to Mr. Cobb. He is being stubborn! I am skipping his shot tonight. I'd love some feedback on what I should have done differently to avoid today. My guess, reduced dose last night, not this morning. Any other thoughts??

Do I go with 5 units in the morning? Matt will be home with Matty because he can't go to daycare, but I know he won't be able to test all day.

My initial thought..if he's over 70, go with 5 units. If he's between 50-70, shoot 3 units. And, obviously no insulin under 50. Thoughts?

16. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Ok, so at +13 he is at 60...finally. Would you all agree to skip and let the depot drain a bit more tonight? I'm guessing he'll bounce tomorrow.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm a big chicken; I'd skip.

18. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

LOL. I'm clucking alongside you tonight! Skipping means sleep!

19. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Wow, Cobb. What ARE you up to? You making your own insulin now?

20. Wendy&Neko

That's a big YES on the skip! I suspect he went lowish last night as well. That depot is full to busting.:eek:

What could you have done differently? I can think of a few things. Would they have worked? Who knows. If Neko is lower at +3 than her preshot, I test more that cycle, given that her onset is after +3. Going lower after PS and before onset is a sign that the insulin has really long duration and the depot is getting full. Cobb is at an interesting stage right now. If he is acro, the tumor can wax and wane and sometimes suddenly. Kind of exciting, no? :D :confused: I think for the next little while you should do a depot draining reduced dose after he earns a reduction. FWIW, other than Cobb going very green, I don't think I would have guessed he had this in mind today.

If after a reduced dose today and a skip tonight, if he's over just over 70 in the morning, I wouldn't shoot 5.0U. I'd make sure he's well over 100. Then do the 3U if between 50 and 100.

Tons of vines for Matty. I hope he doesn't keep you up.

21. Wendy&Neko

One more thing, could you change your subject title to be PMBG 41 so people don't think you shot that.

22. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

@donaleen and Ozy you know Cobb isn't talking!!!

@Wendy&Neko title changed. I've never had to do that before!!! Exciting? I could think of a few other words! I should have known something was up at +3 last night. Matt has night duty with Matty tonight. I think he'll be fine as long as his fever doesn't spike overnight. Thanks for the thoughts, we can certainly use them right now!

23. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Indeed! Skip!! Get a good night's sleep so you don't catch Matty's flu.

Ella

Yo Cobb, I'll be here just in case you still need those waterwings.
    ~ Rusty

24. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Wow. Cobb is surely up to something! :D:D:D Very exciting! I don't have the slightest idea how to deal with dosing a higher dose kitty, but every time I read about what you're doing, it's obvious that you really get Cobb and have great instincts! Anti-sick vines headed your way.

25. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

another wow. i'm glad you skipped tonight. you know diabetic cats have phases - Cobb is in the serious going down the dose ladder phase. Once a cat is doing that, you're just hanging on by your fingernails. I agree with Wendy - i think when he earns a reduction, I'd follow that low numbers cycle with a 1/2 dose shot first before coming back with the newly reduced dose.

Were you giving him high carbs with all those 30's today? The only thing I'd suggest is that you not let him go more than 20 minutes in the 30's and 30 minutes in the 40's without testing and carbing so that he's not surfing in the 30's. That feels waaaayyyyyy too risky to me.

And if you were carbing him and he wasn't coming up, i'd say that he needs more of a dose reduction than just 0.5u. From the ss it looks like he spent 6 or more hours in the 30's.

26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cobb really likes dancing the limbo! Yikes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.