1/23/20 Mr. Kitty AMPS 97 need dose & vacation advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-6-20-mr-kitty-amps-105-pmps-96.223957/#post-2505275

Hello everybody, it’s been a while since we’ve posted. Mr. Kitty‘s doing awesome so we thought it would be a great idea to stop insulin for 36 hours, but that was a bust. Can someone take a peek at our spreadsheet? I’d greatly appreciate the feedback. I think we should increase to 1.5U but my husband wants to stay at 1.25U. My patience pants are getting tight!

Also, we are leaving on vacation mid February and the pet sitter is only coming twice a day (no midday tests) so do we keep the dose the same or scale it back a bit while we are away?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Was there a reason you only did 1U for 3 cycles after your NS experiment?

Sorry...my vote is for hubby. I'd hold the 1.25 just a little longer.

We usually suggest dropping the dose a day before you leave. Cats don't always eat normally when their routine is different (and having you gone is different!) so letting them run a little higher is the safest way to go. Ask again when it's closer to the date you're leaving.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  3. Sara and Mr. Kitty

sounds like a solid plan. Thank you!!

4. Sara and Mr. Kitty

apparently I forgot how to type on my phone, so my apologies :/ my responses are in the feed somewhere.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just an FYI....before you try an OTJ trial, you want to slowly work the dose down to where you're only giving 1 drop. The longer you can safely keep him on insulin, the more time to let the pancreas heal. We want a strong remission, not a fast one.

If Mr. K stays in normal numbers for 7 days (50-120 with most under 100), you'd reduce by .25 and then hold that dose for another 7 days....if still in normal numbers, decrease another .25...etc.etc….until you're all the way down to 1 drop.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  6. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Thank you! I’m being overly impatient and need to slow it down so we can get him into remission safely. I appreciate the advice and encouragement!