1/23 Tiger PMPS 81;+2=65;+4=47/42 Dosing Question for tomorrow????

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger(GA) and Ruth, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Last condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-13-tiger-amps-123-pmps-170.131440/

Yesterday was such a sad day in LL, my heart truly feels broken for the loss of Booger, Cobb and Tiki, even though I have never met them, we share the common bond of Feline Diabetes- we feel like they were family. Wendy put it so aptly, the Pacific Northwest skies were truly shedding tears today! Also sending healing vines for all the other kitties in need- and their humans! :bighug:

Tiger's BW came back yesterday- the good news is her BUN and Creatine went down, in fact almost all values were normal with exception of Glucose :)oops:) and Creatine Kinase, which was 723- almost twice the normal value! :nailbiting::nailbiting: I received the VM from our vet, naturally the office was closed, so I didn't sleep very well last night. Still waiting for urine labs, the culture did show bacteria but we need to know what bacteria. Then this morning I woke up to find blood in Tiger's urine, she was going to the LB yesterday, but by late morning, she seemed fine. Late this morning she got a Convenia shot, yes, I know, not the AB of choice, but she already looks better. With her current GI issues, I don't want to give pills if I don'thave to. She has lost almost a pound since her Dec vet visit, her morning appetite is not good so we are looking at an ultrasound pretty soon as her vomiting of foam would be continuing if I didn't give cerenia and pepcid. Hopefully tomorrow I will hear something on the urine results. Not to be a total Debbie Downer, for the most part, Tiger looks pretty good- (once the meds kic in) It's just me that is the wreck :rolleyes:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great numbers for Tiger today! :D Bummer it's because she's not eating much. And double bummer on the UTI. :arghh: Tons of healing vines going out for your little girl.

The skies are still crying hard tonight.

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Punkin had convenia at least once - also for a bladder infection, and it helped. fingers crossed that she perks up soon and it helps miss Tiger!

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth,
    It's good that Tiger's bloodwork was good except for Creatine Kinase (I don't know what that is). I hope you'll hear about the other labs today. The blood in her urine could have been from the needle used in the cycstocentesis. I think that is relatively common. If Tiger has had Convenia before without problems, she will probably be fine this time, too. I hear you on the pills!!
    Maybe Tiger and Rusty will have their ultrasounds at the same time and can get matching sweaters:).

Sending your girl healing vines tonight, and hoping that she will be feeling lots better soon.

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

p.s. thanks for visiting Rusty

5. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Thanks guys! I am sorry I come off sounding all whiny and wimpy :oops: That's why I was holding off posting...:rolleyes: We did convenia this past summer before I knew better. Luckily, it worked fine. This time I knew what I was doing, I just don't want to try and pill her when she might vomit.

Wendy and Julie- I did a big chicken $h$$ shot this morning and yesterday, is it okay to go back to up 4.25 tonight?

Ella, thanks, you know the vet did mention that, but she had the cysto done Tuesday, and it showed up today. It looks like Dyana found some cute sweaters at Walmart- I might go and look this weekend. Have a great night!

suki & crystal (GA) likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I do think convenia is not the bad drug people make it out to be. I just don't think it is the drug of choice for a UTI. Hopefully the culture will prove me wrong. I hear you on not wanting to upset the intestines with an oral antibiotic if you don't need one. Convenia won't mess with the BG either. Which lab does your vet use? I don't usually see creatinine listed in triple digits so it is a norm I am not familiar with at all. Just curious. The blood could be from the cysto or from infection. It isn't anything to be concerned about. I'm glad Tiger is acting fine. You likely caught the infection early. I hope so. :bighug:

And yes, I know we are all sad tonight.

7. Wendy&Neko

I think I'd decide Tiger's dose depending on her appy. If she's all for eating dinner tonight, I think you could go back to your old dose.

My civie Theo has had convenia before (when he was at the shelter). The problem with convenia is if the kitty is allergic to it you can't get it out. But since Tiger has had it before, I'd be less worried. The key is getting a urine C&S done to figure out if it's the right antibiotic to treat the infection.

8. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Ruth! That's what we mamabeans do when the kits are having a tough time with one or another health issues. So just be "whiny and wimpy" whenever you feel like it. You're talking our language!

My Spikey got Convenia once; I don't remember what for. Probably a UTI since he had those from time to time. And I don't remember if it helped. Helpful, right?

You and Tiger. Be on the lookout for a bushel of vines. From here to there.

Marilyn and Polly

9. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

@tiffmaxee Thanks Elise- I am embarassed but I don't see on the sheet which lab they sent the bloodwork to. I have never seen Creatine Kinase on any of the other panels either. It has something to do with muscle injury-I am praying it isn't heart damage or something! :nailbiting:

@Wendy&Neko Thanks Wendy- I figured I would use that as my guide. She ate okay tonight, but I have to hand feed to get her started most mornings-this is ever since the p-titis. I will go back to 4.25 tomorrow if she's still doing good. I am anxious to see what the Culture and Sensitivity shows!

@pollydoodle You're so sweet- that is the wonderful thing about this forum! :bighug: ...But I keep thinking about trying to keep my Big Girl Panties pulled up like everyone else here :smuggrin:

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Ruth)))

I'm so sorry Tiger hasn't been feeling 100% lately. I'm glad to hear her BUN and creat have improved but the elevated CK is puzzling. It isn't a number I see elevated very often so I hope the vets can address it.

I'm sorry she has a UTI. Poor baby....I'm sure it makes her feel bad and not want to eat. It's good you caught it so quickly. She has the best mama!!!! I also hope you can get the u/s done and see if there is a little inflammation or something that causes the foamy puke.

You are one of the most positive upbeat in the L/L Land forum. When our babies don't feel perfect or their lab isn't perfect, we get bummed. Never worry about that....it's why we are a "support group"

:bighug::bighug::bighug: and vines for Tiger.

Tiger(GA) and Ruth and tiffmaxee like this.
  11. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Thank you Marje- the vet mentioned that sometimes CK can be elevated due to vet stress and man-handling during blood draw and cysto(boy, that didn't make me feel much better! :eek:) I forgot to edit my post to also say, sodium and chloride were low-this could be due to vomiting-more reason for an US.

I do have a question- I gave a BCSS tonight of 3.5- and here little Tiger is tanking on me. This happened the last time she had a UTI and got Convenia. What should I do for her dose tomorrow? Go back to 4.0 or reduce from 3.5?

12. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth. I'm so sorry you are going through so much stress and Tiger is having these issues. I'm glad the Convenia seems to be helping. Several of my kitties have had it - long before I joined the board and learned of the concerns - and they have had no issues with it.

I'm NOT a dosing expert, but I believe that dip tonight earned a reduction. The fact that she wasn't eating, however, has to be taken into consideration. I hope someone smarter comes along to answer that for you. I think if it was me, I'd go by whether or not she's eating and whatever number I got at AMPS - if it's high, maybe go to 4.0 if she's eating. If it's low and/or she's not eating, another BCS may be in order. Really tough call.

Wow, that Creatine Kinase is HIGH. Harvey's was 204 yesterday, and the report says normal is 73-260. I hope stress, etc. is all it was. Sending tons of vines for good results and solid answers from the remaining tests. Most of all, I hope Tiger continues to feel better and better. Calming vines and hugs for you! :bighug:

13. Wendy&Neko

If she's still reluctant to eat in the morning, I'd be inclined to factor that into the equation, as I see Tricia just suggested. Maybe 3.75 if she's eating, 3.5 if not? There's probably still some of the 4.25U dose impacting tonight's cycle so an argument could be made for 4.0U if she was eating fine.

14. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hey Tiger I see you feel that a vetty visit needs to be rewarded with a pj party :D

Convenia isn't all bad, it's just as a couple of people have already said that if a kitty has a bad reaction you can't get it back out again. Sounds like Tiger is fine with it. Also sometimes vets give convenia when it's not the best AB to use for the particular problem because it's easier to administer. Hope the culture shows it's suitable for Tiger's issues and this is the end of it!

He he he on the big girl panties, we all lose them here and there ;)

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

16. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Tiger has a UTI! Were you given any bupe for Tiger? Tess gets UTIs and I've learned at the first sign to give her just a little bupe and then get her into the vet in the morning. UTIs can be very painful, but once she has the bupe she can relax and not try to pee every 5 minutes and there is something to draw w/ the cysto. Our vet has us using Orbax, it's a liquid, not a pill and it has never upset her and made her stop eating like Clavamox does. It would depend on what the C&S shows though, whether it would be the right AB. Tess usually get e-coli and it is very effective against that. So for us the drill is see the frequent peeing (often pinkish from blood), give the bupe, get to vet for cysto, start Orbax while waiting for the C&S results, change AB if necessary after results are in.

I don't know I've never seen blood in the urine after a cysto. There can be a trace that shows up in the labs, but we've never had enough to see it in her urine. We do see it before when she is peeing a lot though.

As for the Convenia, if she hasn't had a reaction yet Tiger is probably fine, but they can develop a sensitivity to it. Just because it was OK once or twice, doesn't mean it will be OK in the future, that's the problem w/ it. You never know until it's in the cat and too late, besides it is only recommended for skin infections. It was a member here who was instrumental in getting the black box warning on it. Her cat nearly died and had permanent organ damage from it.

17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Tiger has a UTI. I hope she gets over it quickly. I hope the other tests can help you figure out what is going on with her and help her feel better. Sending prayers and hugs. :bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.