1/24 Asia +10 53 +11 54, +11.5 58 Vet update, mostly good stuff!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-23-asia-pmps-209-ultrasound-tomorrow.190066/

Ultrasound today, can’t come fast enough, I want to feed this poor girl so bad! I left her out a small dish with a wee bit of pumpkin, 1/2 tsp and a lot of water so at least I can feel like she has “food” if she’s that hungry, but she’s not having it, as per usual, if it’s not the food she wants, she’d rather not eat. :rolleyes:

Her numbers are dropping it seems, hesistent to pump her full of Karo since no shot today, she’s got to be on the rise at some point.

ETA: looks like more surfing, better than dropping. I just realized I’m down to 100 strips, freaked out and ordered 600 more. :joyful:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Asia darlin', no need to show how low you can go this AM! Go take a nice long nap instead of thinking about eating.
    At least you know she's not starving... :rolleyes: Sending u/s vines. :bighug:

3. Stacy & Asia

More like I know she will hunger strike until she gets her way! ;)

I take this as a good sign, she can’t be feeling that bad if she’s up to her usual stubborn cat ways, right? Besides being hungry, she is super happy this morning. :)

4. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy, hungry and stubborn , she's in a good place ;), sending vines for the ultrasound.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I hate fasting kitties....so stressful. U/S vines from us!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad she is happy this morning. I hope she keeps in safe numbers for you. Sending prayers for a good ultrasound. :bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending good-ultrasound vines!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

I ran to Walmart the other day to get more strips because I was so paranoid that my order wouldn't come in time. I got it the next day. And I still had about 85 strips left. :rolleyes:

Piling on more vetty vines!

9. Stacy & Asia

:joyful: Sounds about right! But you have 2 sugar cats, I’d freak out too! I’m glad to know last minute Walmart trips are an option, even if it would take me a taxi and a bus another taxi and at least an hour to get there...still faster than the mail sometime! :smuggrin:

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the u/s. At what + is that scheduled?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  11. Stacy & Asia

+3.5 onward, I don’t suspect ultrasound will be until +4.5

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck with the vet visit! Keep us informed!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Stacy & Asia

Happy to report, there is one less log of poo to clutter up the ultrasound :joyful:

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thinking of you. Sending good vetty vines for the U/S.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Stacy & Asia

Furry potato did very well and came home and chowed down! I gave her a double portion and she inhaled it all in one sitting. I want to give her more, but going to space it out a bit so she doesn't get sick!

First, really liked the vet, smart and very proactive, yet listened to me and would follow my lead regarding how proactive I wanted to be. She thought it would be good to get another cysto and culture it to rule out asymptomatic UTI and kidney infection. She said if either one of those things were going on it could explain the number spike and it may come down if that's the case and she gets antibiotics. Never thought I'd wish she'd have a UTI before, but I do hope she does, I don't think she does, but still hope that's why. She saw the video of Asia's near rapid breathing and said yes, that is not normal and would be a good idea to get the Bnp. She said it was a very good idea that I decided to split the fluids up to 50ml BID.

Vet was super impressed by Asia and said she had never seen a cat her age with such a good body score and also has never seen a cat with her kidney values with a lil bit of chub. She said it's obvious I take very good care of her because the numbers say she probably wouldn't be here otherwise. The receptionist said a bengal living to 21 is unheard of.

Ultrasound went very, very well. She was upside down in her little hotdog bun cushion and the burly vet tech that was there to keep her still quickly realized he wasn't necessary. I was able to sit right there at her face and pet her nose and forehead and keep her relaxed. She got a little grumbly at the end because she was done with being in that position and she had places to go and things to do! I thanked the tech for allowing me to be there and she said she thought it was a great call and that Asia did so much better because I was there. :)

Ultrasound results should be back today or tomorrow, but had some in house labs done, they have an IDEXX machine so hopefully values aren't too far off from the official lab. Phosphorous down to 5.9!!! Creatinine still ugly but 3.4 instead of 3.9!!! BUN down a tad to 128.

The bad news...did the yes/no in house Bnp, the results were firmly positive, not unexpected at her age of course, but still disappointing. She said we can get an echo and maybe wait a little bit for that, it would add to treatment but wouldn't change what we are doing now. Probably HCM. She said their cardiologist is rigid about letting people be in the room but she would make a case for me with him, should I decide to explore it! :)

She also stressed Asia is not her numbers and said she wouldn't know any of this is going on just by seeing her. Overall I'm quite pleased and hopefully nothing too alarming on the ultrasound results.

Thanks everybody here for all of your support, care and well wishes, I would feel so alone in all of this without this amazing community of awesome people! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

woohoo, glad it went so well!! :bighug::bighug::D:woot:

What is Bnp?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sounds like a great vet and I’m so happy for you!!! Only thing is that kidney infections don’t usually show up on a c&s but if she looked at her kidneys on u/s, it would have been obvious if she had a kidney infection. That’s usually the best way to dx.

I’m impressed they could do a snapBNP......many vets are not even aware of the one you send off for much less have the snap version. I’m sorry for that dx but the heart can get weakened with old age. An echo is a good idea to see exactly how her heart looks. Did she tell you to stop the fluids? I would be really cautious about fluids until you see the cardiologist.

I love that she said Asia is not her numbers!!!! That is really a good vet who recognizes that. Jumping for joy for you that you found this vet.

Good girl, Asia, being so sweet and eating your fuds.

18. Marje and Gracie

It refers to an enzyme, NTproBNP, released by the heart when it’s been under stress or stretch. The test is called Cardiopet proBNP and is the latest early diagnostic of heart issues which can be done with labwork. If it’s positive in a snap test or the test result in labs sent out is greater than 100, it’s indicative of heart disease and an echo should be done.

However, cats with hypertension or hyperthyroid can also have an elevated BNP and the heart still be normal. Thus, it is important to not dismiss doing an echo if the BNP is abnormal.

19. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad things went well and Asia stayed calm. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  21. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Gee, at that rate, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay $18+ for an overnight express delivery?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  22. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

So glad the visit went well and you are comfortable working with this Dr.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  23. Kathy and TiTi

This is all super news! Congratulations
    As to the creatinine score - I'm very impressed, because Asia's on minimal fluids, so this creatinine is a true reading rather than being influenced by a lot of fluids. Also, it's not that bad a reading. And as the vet says, Asia is not her numbers.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  24. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Clearly, Asia is 21 because of your meticulous care. Go Stacy and Asia!

Stacy & Asia and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  25. Stacy & Asia

Cheaper not to run out of strips in the first place, and touch wood, I'm on top of that and no major shipping delays thus far. ;)

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  26. Stacy & Asia

I have to digest it a bit and do some research before I proceed. Knowing she probably has heart stuff going on also makes all these vet visits, tests and stressors more of a precarious game, because I might hurt her in my efforts to help her, you know? She didn't say to stop fluids, she said she absolutely needs them, assuming her kidney values are not due to infection and that I split them up is very wise. She said heart stuff can turn suddenly.

I'm glad I found them too, not bad for throwing darts at the phone book, huh? She went to the same uni as DH, so that helps as well.

27. Stacy & Asia

Thank you, I think more than any supplement or medication, the amount of love she gets in this house has done very well for her health.

Speaking of that, off to rub that baldy tummy! ;)

28. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Asia clearly views herself as a warrior!!! Way to go tough mama! So pleased she was able to eat well once home! :bighug::bighug: these are for Asia's warrior mom! You're so amazing Stacy!
    525f5244a5ac7cf2a127d57c89a5a395.jpg

29. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome!

30. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear that it was mostly good news, and what sounds like a very good experience at the vet visit - no going to lie; I teared up a bit reading your post. Asia is so lucky to have you! Doing my job every day, I can tell you that the sad fact is most people, regardless of how much they love their pets, do not (or sometimes are not able) to take such great care of their pets as you do of Asia! We only see a handful of cats make it past the teens, and it's almost always down to the amazing love and care they receive at home! :cat::cat::cat:

Sorry for the possibility of HCM, but hoping that you get some answers if an echo is done. Asia is clearly in the best hands! :bighug::bighug:

31. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you liked the vet and more answers will be forthcoming! :bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  32. Stacy & Asia

Aw, thank you, Tasha! That's so sweet of you to say. I think this is an entire community of people who take exceptional care of their kitties and we learn a lot from each other and our cats are the beneficiaries of that, for sure! :bighug:

33. Stacy & Asia

Thank you, Heidi! That's a purrfect portrait and quote, she is pretty ferocious...ly adorable!

I think we've decided cerenia is going to be a daily thing, so hopefully appy stays good and nausea stays away!

34. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Around here, we like to see bald tummy pics, so share, please!

I'm so happy that this experience was a positive one, even if some of the news was not what you had hoped for. Sounds like you found an amazing vet, well worth keeping!
    Yup. Dr. Richard Nelson, who used to be head of Internal Medicine at UCDavisVMTH told me something very similar, and I think it's a part of this whole dance that is easy to lose sight of.

35. Bobbie And Bubba

Wow! Sounds like a great practice and Doc and so happy to hear that Asia did so well.

Here's hoping that you get good news on the U/S Fingers AND Paws crossed. :bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  36. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    So happy you found a vet you are happy with.

I second Tricia's request for bald tumm pics.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  37. Stacy & Asia

She's a little embarrassed over this naked tum tum business, but she consented, since we're all friends here. The girls were excited, they finally found her belly button! They had been searching for it since forever, and now they have found it! :joyful:

IMG_2746.JPG

38. Bobbie And Bubba

What a pin up girl! :cat: She doesn't look her age at all!

39. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Stacy, I was so happy to read this good report. How great that the vet turned out to be so good, knowledgeable, and kind. A keeper! Asia did so well. We are all proud of her. I hope everything will work out as you go forward in determining the best treatments.
    Lots of hugs and scritches,

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  40. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Stacy I’m trilled to read about this vet experience. You and Asia desered it:bighug:
    This thread warms my heart:cat:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  41. Kathy and TiTi

She's lovely, and what a sweet tummy.
    I suspect Bengals might be healthier than other breeds. They're closer to their roots, and the bit of wild is a helpful ingredient.

42. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love light and healing:bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  43. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness that face needs kisses. She's such a cutie!

I'd say that this vet visit went splendidly and I'm so happy for all of the, mostly, positive news! Way to go Asia!!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.