1/24 Mikey? PMPS 150, +1 162 +2 70, +2.5 43 Now what! Dose ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marycatmom, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

2. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Just beautiful. He might still bounce from those big drops at the beginning of the cycle (or just from being in blue for so long), but what a surf today! :)

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Who kidnapped Mikey and replaced him with this beautiful blue cat?

Sometimes a little more insulin can mean a bit more duration. Paws crossed for continuing flatness tonight.

4. Marycatmom

Not much of a food spike at +1, so I've got the 12% food on standby in case he starts his diving routine at +2. Please stay flat, Mikey.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I saw it and captured it!! I know where the real Mikey went!!
    [​IMG]

This imposted is "Pod-Mikey".....LOL

Looking great!!

Marycatmom and Laura&Chichi (GA) like this.
  6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Nice flat blue surf! What's in store for tonight, Mikey? The LagoonMeister says: surf safe!!!!!

Ella & Rusty

7. Marycatmom

I come see you in the Lagoon, oh LagoonMeister! You dare???? I brings chicken wings.

He's going touch too low to fast for me, so I have him 12% instead of 8% at +2. I'm going to test at +2.5. If he's still dropping I'll give more. Otherwise, his next scheduled feeding is at +3. Anyone think I should be doing anything differently?

8. Marycatmom

Hm, I think I might want to keep Pod-Mikey!

9. Marycatmom

Mikey, you holy terror! Why on earth did you earn a reduction???? OK, folks, what do I do now? 43 is clearly a reduction, but what to? I don't want go back to .5. I don't really want to reduce! Argh!!!!!

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I'd pull out the high carb and keep him up over 50.

11. Marycatmom

I gave MC at +2, HC at +2.5 and am giving HC now at +3, since he's only 44. Stink'ear. Don says he can measure a dose that's half way between .5 and .75, if necessary. Mikey is feeling great. Since starting Lantus, he hasn't had symptoms, but when he gets into blue, he gets extra perky and happy. These low numbers aren't bothering him at all. He's cuddle, happy, and a little dozy as usual. Testing again at 3.5. We need to shovel now!

12. julie & punkin (ga)

I think getting a dose between 0.75 and 1.0 units is a great option. Then do whatever it takes to keep him over 50 for a couple of cycles.

stop messing with us Mikey!!:D

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's my thinking. The German Lantus board uses a different set of criteria for reducing the dose:
    • numbers drop below 40;
    • the cat is in normal numbers for a week;
    • there are three drops into the 40 - 50 range on separate days.
    I would encourage you to try this strategy. In other words, hold the dose and the drop into the 40s tonight is the first of three drops into the 40s.

14. Marycatmom

He's 54 at 3.5, so I fed a little 12%.

15. Marycatmom

That's not really an option for us, because no one is here to test during the day on weekdays. My goal is for him to stay in high green or low blue. I keep telling him that 100 would be perfect, but he's not getting the message. I feel guilty that I can't test during the day and let him run lower, but I'm telling myself to get over that. I listen almost as well as Mikey does. Guess we're two of a kind. :)

16. Marycatmom

I'm guessing you mean between .5 and .75, yes? I'm going to try that, although if he bounces, we'll shoot through the bounce in the morning. We may get a blizzard here this week, which may give me more time at home. The question is, how am I going to keep him safe while I'm at work? If he's still bouncing on Monday, and it looks like Tuesday will be a snowday, maybe I should hold the dose for a few more cycles as Sienne suggested. I do have the two compartment timed feeder, and I'm still home t +1, so using MC or HC foods at those times are possibilities. Any and all thoughts appreciated! Shooting through the bounce in the morning is a given, so I guess we start there. Which could make him not bounce, right??? :banghead:

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One option may be to feed a higher carb food when you're not there to monitor.

FWIW, while I don't use those exact guidelines, I try to prevent Gabby from dropping into the range where she'd get a reduction. In practical terms, it probably amounts to the "3 times into the 40 - 50 range" approach or she tosses me a number in the 30s. I'm not home during the day, either. I get early tests in and if it looks like her numbers are dropping, she gets some HC until I have to leave and then a big dollop of HC before I'm out the door.

Using the approach I noted has helped to flatten out Gabby's curve. (Go back to our early days and you'll see what I mean.)

18. julie & punkin (ga)

Mary, I think Sienne's suggestion is a better strategy. I would go this direction instead of reducing his dose. She has first-hand experience at doing this while working full-time. And you never know how long it will take - there are cats that respond quickly to that little bit more insulin.

What do you think about it?

19. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Awesome day, Mikey. Looking good.

I hope you will get some rest tonight, Mary. Mikey looks great this dose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.