1/5 Champ AMPS 472, +1 470, +2 383, +3 334, +4.5 279, PMPS 426, +1.5 371, +3 292, +4 287

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patty & Champ, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Yesterday

I used six test strips before I was satisfied I had an accurate result. The first result said HI, the second 537, and the third 460. I have a new meter so I got that out and the first one with that meter said 97, the second 467, and the third 489. I then decided both meters needed to be tested with the control solution. Thank goodness I have a bottle that hasn't been opened and hasn't expired. My old meter said 96 and the new one 97. So...both meters are fine which means I either had too much or too little blood for accuracy on some of those strips. Because the majority of the results were in the 4oo's, I averaged the three of them and came up with 472. That's what I'm going with. Let me tell ya, that HI reading gave me a heart attack. `I think I'm going to think about giving him a second dose of R right around +7 or +8, if he's in the 300's. He just acts so poorly and it's wearing me down. I still have to hand feed him, but he does eat well when I do so I really don't think this is pancreatitis. He's had pancreatitis and he vomited and wouldn't eat at all, plus he was better within three days. He pees well so I don't think this is a UTI, and his urinalysis didn't show any bacteria. I need to get a copy of the labs that were done on Tuesday, but I think the white count was relatively normal. Can heart disease cause elevated blood glucose values? The vet termed it "early heart failure." She also said he had "increased densith in the lungs" and thought he might have pneumonia. He was put on Orbax for all the wrong reasons by his previous vet and this new vet said to just keep him on it until it's finished. If he had pneumonia, I would think the Orbax would have improved any pneumonia he might have and his numbers would start to improve, but nope. He's going back for a follow-up on Wednesday and she wants to get a second set of radiographs to look at his heart and lungs, etc. I'm wondering if an ultrasound might be a better idea since I would think you'd get more information that way. Unfortunately, they can't read an ultrasound anywhere in this town so it would have to be sent out to be read. This is all just so frustrating. I just wish Champ could tell me where it hurts so I can fix it for him!! I have a busy weekend coming up so I may not do a condo for Champ unless something seems more off than usual. I'll still test him hourly, but I'll be in and out of the house trying to get stuff done. I hope everyone is doing well!!

2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Champ. Sending feel better vines. :bighug: Hope the vet visit produces some answers for you.

Patty & Champ likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can get Champ feeling better and get a good plan for him at his upcoming vet visit. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for you Champ! Feel better soon, 'K? Paws crossed for him Patty.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I hated it when the meter greeted me in the morning - Hi!

It can be a type of insulin resistance. Neko's numbers went up when her heart was under stress and she was having trouble breathing. Then dropped back down when she had fluids drained.
    As long as he's heading back up at that point in the Lantus cycle, that's OK.

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

What a rude awakening! I would check the meters again. Try them on yourself. Do you have fresh batteries in the meters?

Hoping for the best with Champ's test results. Sending lots of vines his way.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If he’s heading up late in the cycle, I’d give another small dose of R to try and put him at a better number for his L onset. I always like a +10/+11 R shot (as long as the numbers were high) for a Lantus cat because by the time the R is just hitting it’s peak, the L will kick in and you can start the L from a lower number.

The goal is to catch him as he heads up; if he suddenly shoots up at +8, don’t wait until PMPS to give the R. But remember.....it is just as important to know when to not shoot R as when to shoot it.

The R working to bring down the L curve doesn’t happen overnight. You might see it drop it each cycle. But if you learn exactly when to give it, as the numbers really start up, you can keep the BG from getting too high. Each time, the R has the chance to bring the BG down lower for the L to grab onto. Over a few weeks, you could see the L curve coming down, as long as the R is given at the right times.

8. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

One of the meters was actually brand new! I did try it on myself along with the meter I use for myself (I'm diabetic) and they were within the same range. Before all this starting happening, I only tested Champ two to four times a day because he was so predictable and just never varied much. I usually buy ten boxes of strips at a time and those strips were from the ninth box. Maybe some of the strips just weren't good anymore, even though they weren't past their expiration date. Who knows why things happen in the wonky world of feline diabetes!!

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

As Lisa once said (@Lisa and Do Lou (GA) ), the only thing predictable about feline diabetes is that it is unpredictable.

Hang in there, Patty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.