1/7 Akila AMPS 150, +2 124, +4 148, +6 148, +8 174, +10 274, PMPS 235

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by penni, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penni

penni Member

This is our first thread in this forum.

It's pretty early, so I'm trying to be patient, not draw any conclusions, and SLGS tells me to stay with this dose. But I do have a couple questions and I welcome course corrections if anyone is seeing something I am not so that I can improve for the future. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to do more frequent testing on weekdays than I've been doing, since I am home for so few hours each day. Also, FYI, I did two days of curves this weekend because Saturday was a "no steroid" day and Sunday was a "steroid" day. Nothing conclusive (or even barely informative to be honest) from that so far that I can see.

So one thing I realized is that I wasn't following SLGS properly! I thought the no-shoot BG was 90, but I obviously just realized today that I had mixed all that up and had been shooting at (slightly) under 150. It didn't result in any problems at all, but now I'm not sure what I'll do in the future when her PS is below 150.

And one question - isn't it weird that her +10 has been higher than her PS?

Otherwise, I've been just reading a ton of threads here and trying to absorb as much information and the lay of the land as possible. I've cried over old threads and others' spreadsheets I've reviewed and been amazed at the level of support here and the hard work others are doing. I wish this kind of resource existed for other things in life!

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Welcome! :bighug:

There’s lots to read, it can be overwhelming, but it will come together with a little time. Akila is adorable!

Curves are very useful to fill in the blanks when you can’t get extra tests during the day, it’s good that you are getting tests in the pm cycle too, the 2 cycles can look very different from each other.

Sometimes the preshot number is lower than a +10 because Lantus is known to have a double dip and that’s usually about where it happens. You can look at Asia’s SS and see she just had that happen today. It’s so helpful to view other SSs and it’s awesome that you are doing that. Ask all the questions you need to, this community is so helpful and supportive, Asia would be a mess if I hadn’t found this place and these amazing people. :cat:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. :bighug: Glad you've been reading, sounds like you are heading in the right direction with Akila's treatment. BTW, how did she get her name?

As far as shooting lower numbers, the goal is to eventually, as you gather data, shoot anything above 90. The part about not shooting 150 starts out as "in the beginning ...".

Akila's numbers look pretty good for a recently diagnosed kitty.

penni likes this.
  4. penni

penni Member

She's an Egyptian Mau - my former boyfriend and I adopted her because they are supposed to be hypo-allergenic and he was severely allergic...and it worked! Anyway, we decided to choose an Egyptian name and so we "Asked Jeeves" or "Alta Vista'd" (or something like that that was a Google precursor!) for a list of Egyptian names and we liked this one ;)

The hypo-allergenic thing worked so well that we adopted her younger brother a few months later. We didn't do an Egyptian name for him - my boyfriend dubbed him Dillinger and I hated it, but it stuck and our old vet tech used to say, "now don't go robbing any banks, little guy!" Sadly, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge a little over 3 years ago and Akila and I still miss him terribly. I wish he had gotten a disease like this one that we could have tried to manage, but it was cancer and too late when we discovered it. I'm getting all the chances with Akila to keep her around longer that I didn't get with him. And I do mean ALL the chances :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Lantus & Levemir Land, the nicest place you never wanted to be.

It's great that you're looking at other spreadsheet and threads - that's a great way to learn, as long as you remember ECID - Every Cat is Different.

Here is a link to a post we put together to help new members get acclimated to our Forum. Ask lots of questions - the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

We're glad you found us!

penni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.