1-8 Ozgood AMPS 288

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozgood, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-7-ozgood-am-2-170.131111/#post-1348695

Our insulin is from our vet, but it isn't repackaged. We've asked them about it. The vial has exp. date, lot number, and what looks like a manufacture date on it. Our vials are only 1ml. I want to see if we can get it cheaper somewhere. We're paying $80/vial right now.

Ozgood had a pretty good day again today. His weight is 10.7 lbs, down from 10.9 lbs on 12-29. I'm not too concerned because it's a small loss and he's been back in good BG numbers for only 2 days now. Our vet recommends decreasing his dose from 3u to 2.5u.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Interesting on the "vials" from your vet. At the pharmacy, they come in either 10ml vials or a pack of 5 3ml pens (or cartridges in Canada). Take a look at pictures in the Sticky on Storage and Handling of Lantus/Levemir. You can get vials/pens much cheaper from Canadian on line pharmacies. Take a look at the last post in this thread.

As for dose, Ozgood is looking good at 3U. I'd keep him there. Depending on whether you are using the TR or SLGS protocols, kitties don't earn dose reductions unless they go below 50 or 90 and Ozgood hasn't done that yet. He's actually looked great the last couple of days! :cool: Most vets aren't used to having people home test, so they get nervous when they see lower (but no where near dangerous) numbers. You do a great job testing so you can keep Ozgood safe. Spending time in the 50-120 zone is what is going to help Ozgood's pancreas heal.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think your insulin almost has to be repackaged since the manufacturer only makes 10ml vials and the 3ml pens

If you can get a written script from your vet, please look into Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada (the one Wendy's link tells you about)

They're $133.99 for 5 of the Lantus Solostar pens....that's 1500 units and from everyone I've heard that's ordered from them, they're good for over 2 years (if you don't use them up in that time)

Even if you continued needing 3 units, that would last you 250 days....so will save you a lot of money!

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yeah, something's fishy there. The reason that Lantus is so incredibly expensive is because they own the patent on it. It's not available in generic yet, and as Wendy and Chris have pointed out, Lantus doesn't sell in 1ml containers. Someone must be repackaging - might be the Wedgewood Pharmacy (do i have the right name of who it's coming from?), might be the vet. I don't know, but the last one they sold you wasn't good and it isn't available in that size.

And if you're paying $80 for 1ml, that's the equivalent of $800 for 10 ml of Lantus. The last time I bought a vial from a regular pharmacy it was $250ish. They are charging you 3-4x as much as the Lantus costs from a regular pharmacy. I suspect it's illegal to do what they are doing.

If i were you, I would insist on a paper prescription and take it where you want - to the Canadian pharmacy or somewhere local to you. Either way is going to save you a ton and you're going to get reliable insulin for Oz.

but moving forward, i'm glad that got figured out and Oz is back on track! woot!

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

oh, btw, i would not decrease his dose until you at least catch a nadir under 90 for SLGS or 50 for TRP. I think you're following the Tight Regulation dosing protocol, aren't you? He's just now making great progress - you want these long green cycles. These provide the opportunity for his pancreas to heal and hopefully, begin putting out some insulin again. Keeping him in good numbers like this also protects his body from the damage of high blood sugar.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I have to agree. The packaging should state that the manufacturer is Sanofi-Aventis. This is a link to a page on their website about prescribing. If you scroll down to the section on dosage and strength, they note that Lantus is available only in a 10 ml vial and 3 ml Solostar pen. This medication is still under patent. It can't legally be sold in any form other then how it's distributed by Sanofi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.