? 1/8 Yum AMPS 631 +5 560 +8 587 take her back to 6?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJW, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Well, I am giving up the split the shot experiment.
    I did an aggressive increase to 6.5 this morning.
    Should I take her back down to 6 this evening?
    What can I do to bring her down? Do R shots? Switch to Levemir?

She did gain weight yesterday but I will have to see if it sticks.
    My vet is still figuring out how to do the IAA and Acro tests.
    Her ears are bleeding more easily, which makes Cushing's come to mind.

And one of the civvies has been hiding and growling all day today. I need to grab her and take her in somewhere. We had a small tiff this morning but I think she must be in physical pain. Maybe a UTI?
    Too much stress...

2. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I will hold her at 6.5. Clearly she needs more insulin.
    I will give up the split shot test for now.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Remember than New Dose Wonkiness can give you ugly numbers for the first couple of cycles. Remember patience. Slow down and don't try so many new things at once. You only held the regular 6 unit dose for 3 cycles before playing with it. Pick a dose and stick with it.

If you print off the pages from MSU that show IGF-1/IAA tests, that should give your vet the info he/she needs. Having the answer as to whethere Yum has a high dose question will help you decide what to do next. If you are thinking Cushings, that test doesn't require she go to the vet, just her pee.

The link to yesterday's post for continuity.

MJW likes this.
  4. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Well, I spoke to the vet tech today when I took the civvie in for evaluation. The senior vet wasn't there, but it sounds like she doesn't believe in the tests.
    (I had already sent them the links.) Maybe the tech said Texas A&M doesn't believe in the tests. I'm not sure. The tech said something about referring me to a specialty vet. The senior vet will be in tomorrow. I probably need to talk to her. One step and one decision at a time. Deep breaths.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My vet consulted with her "IM vet expert" and said I didn't need to do the tests until I got to 10 units. We never did. I asked the vet to humour me and do the tests. Guess who was surprised when both came back positive. I gained a lot of respect when that happened.

Stacy & Asia, MJW and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Not sure about that, my vet is a graduate of A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and is well aware of high dose testing and conditions and highly promotes it, if necessary. Where are you located? Any chance you can find a vet that specializes in cats?

MJW likes this.
  7. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Vet Techs usually only have the briefest of on the job training. A few tech, very few, go through a 4 to 5 year program to become licensed veterinary technicians. The "on the job training" gals and guys are often a bit arrogant - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". So don't worry about it. If your vet refuses to do it, then worry. The argument I've used in similar situations is, "I know I sound, perhaps, misled, but please do these tests anyway? Humor me?

MJW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.