1/9 Alley AMBG 66; +4 78; +7 72; PMBG 109; +4 74; +8 122

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dan & Alley, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

OK. +10 this morning is 66. I'm becoming very inclined toward believing that Alley's continued run of low numbers is not the result of an overfull depot, but rather the result of getting several weeks of dry dog food stealing out of her system. Her last 2.5U injection was around 8 cycles ago. Her last 1.75U injection was around 5 cycles ago. Then a couple 1.5U cycles and now a couple 1.0U cycles. There was a brief jump to 102 before the last 1.0U shot, but then Alley settled in at 66 (+4 and +10).

Down down down on the dose and GREEN GREEN GREEN on Alley's numbers.

So...

Alley's 66 at +10 is her AMBG for this morning because there won't be a shot. She gets zero until and unless I see her numbers jump.

Alley was very nicely on the wagon for a year and a half and the timing of her fish recipe dog food stealing and her BG shooting up are just too tightly wrapped to be a coincidence. I don't believe Alley's pancreas has a chance against 18% carb dry dog food, but against zero carb homemade, it works just fine.

If I'm right, she doesn't need insulin now that the carbs from the dog food are out of her reach (and apparently out of her system). If I'm wrong, I start shooting again.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I am inclined to agree with you, Dan, in thinking that the whole problem was the contraband. We'll be keeping our paws crossed that Alley maintains her lovely green BGs and stays away from forbidden fruit.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  3. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Tricia, I recall you mentioned a similar misadventure with Cinco and carbs that went off the rails after Cinco made it to the falls.

I'm still feeding Sophie the fish recipe. We used to put it out for her in the morning and she has always been very casual about dinner. She usually ignores her food until some random moment in the afternoon or even evening when Sophie will dig in. She never eats some and saves the rest for later; it's always gone in one sitting. Now, we wait till afternoon, and put the bowl down for her. If she's not interested, the bowl gets put away. After two or three offers, Sophie will decide it's time to get busy and finish it. Or, I can jump start Sophie's appetite by mixing in a tablespoon or so of Alley's homemade food... then Sophie is on her food like a fat guy on a doughnut.

Once the fish recipe is gone, we'll go back to the other non-fish Orijen recipes. Sophie doesn't seem to like them quite as much as the fish, but Alley has zero interest in these recipes. Another aspect, the wife and I both think the fish recipe is smelly, as in yuck.

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Speaking of the wife, how is she feeling? And you?

Dan & Alley likes this.
  5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes, but the difference is that it wasn't just one or two incidents. In my blissful ignorance, I had allowed Cinco to eat dry food repeatedly for weeks. Top that off with the fact that I got lazy about testing him and you have a recipe for disaster. Thankfully, you are wiser than I was.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  6. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

She is supposed to get out of the hospital today. But I can't see how she's going to do it without taking home an oxygen concentrator with her because her saturation is still pretty bad.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think Alley's problem was the contraband. Hopefully she stays back in remission now. I hope your wife keeps improving. Sending prayers.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  8. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Alley's got a 78 at +4 from AMBG. So far, so good on the "contraband cat" meme.

Oh.. my condition... I went in to the doctor yesterday morning. No pneumonia on the x-ray but I'm still chest congested and still have the waterworks going in my sinuses. Got some antibiotics in case an opportunistic bacterial infection snuck in on the heels of the flu and an inhaler to open things up down below.

Then on top of everything else, my wife called in tears this morning. The woman she has always considered her "2nd mother" passed away yesterday. Sometimes it rains, other times it pours. This goes under the "it pours" category.

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you figured out the issue with Alley's high BG numbers lately! Poor doggie, having to give up her favorite food, but when you have a diabetic in the house, everyone has to sacrifice, right?? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about your wife dealing with the death on top of her own health problems. However, it sounds like you have yourself taken care of now. :bighug::bighug:

Dan & Alley likes this.
  10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your wife is having to deal with that on top of being sick. Sending prayers.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  11. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

No insulin for 18 hours... now 72. :)

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  12. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

PMBG 109. One reading does not a trend make. Will be interesting to see how Alley holds after another 12 hours.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Test again in 3 hours, and see if she's brought it down. Go Alley!

Dan & Alley likes this.
  14. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

I waited 4 hours... 74. :cat:

Wendy&Neko and CassAndGordy(GA) like this.
  15. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

122 at +8, this is the highest recent number and also the highest since Alley went to 0.0U. I'm not going to make too much of it for a couple reasons. First, Alley had a PMBG of 109 and was down to 74 at +4 before going back up to 122 at +8. Second, Alley was generally in the 70s for the first year after she went OTJ in June 2016. Her numbers over the next six months leading up to her spiking very high were generally in the 90 - 125 range.

At any rate, I don't think it will take more than another day or two to see whether Alley continues green and blue or whether she spikes to much higher levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.