1/9 Maggie AMPS=129, +2=74, Back from vet, PMPS=87, +2=78

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-8-maggie-amps-92-2-86-5-77-pmps-109.189301/

Maggie was agitated this morning and trying to dig her way out of the laundry room. We have pee pads down in her area, and they were all bunched up in the corners.
    We have a vet appointment at +3.5 today. My regular vet suggested seeing an internist when I asked her about proteinuria. Also going to have Maggie's BP checked and discuss her in-and-out box habits.

2. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Vetty vines :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good vetty vines.

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending more vetty vines!

5. rawia

rawia Member

More vetty vines for sweeet Maggie:bighug:

6. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's to Maggie feeling better and big Vetty vines for her.

7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Lots of vetty vines, I hope they help you sort Maggie! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Sending lot of vetty vines! ....and let us know how it goes and what the internist says.

9. Stacy & Asia

Alicia, which b12 vitamin do you give (brand)? I want to do the injectable, but since I’ve had luck hiding the b-right in Asia’s food, I want to get something started while I wait to hear from my vet and then wait further on the compounding pharmacy/shipping.

10. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  11. Stacy & Asia

I had to order some household supplies and realized you were probably at the vet right after I asked, I ended up picking this one because it didn’t have any extra ingredients I needed to search up and be concerned with:

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsu...15525969&sr=8-5&keywords=methylcobalamin&th=1

Oooh, cherry flavor! I didn’t even see the liquid ones when I was on there! I will keep all in the loop on my condo about how she does with, and I will of course taste it just to see how nasty it is! ;)

12. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Back from the internist; Maggie has emptied her bladder and calmed down finally. Tried to check BG, but she was having none of it.
    BP by Doppler was 168. Not bad considering the growling she was doing while we took it. :rolleyes:
    Her LB issues are probably interstitial cystitis, inflammation of the bladder or urinary tract for unknown reasons. I was told to reduce her stress level, add another box, try different box types, use Feliway, etc. Most of this I've done already, so I'm going to try the supplements discussed on some of the feline urinary tract groups on Facebook. She said an ultrasound might show stones that didn't show up on recent x-rays, but didn't think that was likely since Maggie wasn't showing other signs like discomfort with palpitation. So I'n holding off for now.
    Going to start benazepril for the proteinuria. Internist said we could go either way to take this or not, but thought it would also be helpful with her BP, so I'm doing it. Need to get some baseline blood work done before starting. Going to do it at my local vet because I think it's cheaper.
    The head pressing could be a number of things. The benazepril may help by lowering the BP. Since the head pressing has only happened a few times and Maggie didn't continue to do it, she wasn't overly concerned about it at this time.
    You should have seen the internist's face when we discussed insulin and I told her Maggie was on a drop! :D And again when I explained about TR and that the goal was to be routinely under 100! And that Maggie isn't on a prescription diet! Kinda like, "Oh, there's your problem, you crazy lady!" But after telling her where we started and what we did following TR and what her BG is now, the internist said I was doing a good job controlling the diabetes and the CKD. She said, "I think Maggie has gone into remission. You should take her off insulin for a week and see how she does." I explained Maggie wasn't quite there yet following TR. :smuggrin:
    So overall, no surprises, which is a good thing! Just a little lighter in the pocketbook. :rolleyes:

13. Stacy & Asia

Yay for a largely unremarkable vet visit! :bighug:

Will he bladder inflammation right itself? Good luck with the new med, I hope it helps and sorry you have to go to another vet visit to save some money on bloodwork.

That’s awesome she acknowledged you were handling the FD well, maybe she doesn’t think you’re so crazy after all and will go read the protocol, we can hope, right? ;)

Give Maggie some extra vet de-stressing loving from Asia and me! :bighug:

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

D-mannose is also good for interstitial cystitis. Gracie had it for a few years from kitten hood. Fortunately, my vet does Nutrition Response Testing and found she had high levels of aluminum, likely due to mom being overvaccinated. When she detoxed her, it went away.

That BP is borderline esp for a cat on amlodipine. I hope the benzapril helps with the BP and the proteinuria.

Sounds like a good visit, overall!!

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the benazapril. In Canada we can only get chewable (many $$$) - and I have yet to hear of a cat that actually thinks it's chewable. :rolleyes: Same form works for small dogs. Thankfully Neko would eat hers in a pill pocket for a while. It did help her proteinuria, which was UCR of 0.8, so higher than Maggie. Is the vet having you in for a quick check of the CREAT after she starts it? There can be an impact while on it. Neko had several bloodworks on an off benazapril around her second SRT, so I got to see the difference, which wasn't huge.
    Definitely!!

16. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

It can't be "cured," but can be managed for fewer problems.
    Aww, thanks! :bighug:
    Maggie's been on D-mannose since July when she had that UTI that wouldn't give up. Giving 1/4 tea. six times a day. Thanks!
    Thanks! Ugh... I haven't even tried to find a price yet. Yes, we'll do blood work again about 10 days after starting benazepril.

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad the vet visit went well overall. I hope the new med helps and Maggie has calmed down now. :bighug::bighug:

19. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I can't remember how much Trix's benazepril was, but I do remember that it was very reasonable - one of her cheaper meds for sure.

I don't have much experience with interstitial cystitis (Trix started having this issue a month or so before she crossed, so not a lot of time to figure it out), but I had heard that Adequan, which is primarily used for arthritis (and is amazing for it) can also be helpful in treating IC, so that could be something to look into as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.