10/07 Ivana - Vet visit :-( (with some photos)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tara & Ivana (GA), Oct 7, 2018.

1. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Last post from 4 weeks ago

So my last post was from a month ago, when Ivana went for her usual 3-monthly check-up after a rough patch and her creatinine and phosphorous were sky-high. From that appointment, her new protocol was to double the amount of subcutaneous fluids we give her (now 200mL every night), and feed her even lower phosphorous foods (now <175mg/100kCal). We had a re-check yesterday, and sadly her creatinine and phosphorous are even higher than were last month :arghh: (results in Labs tab)

I've gotta say, it was a bit of a surprise getting these numbers - based on how Ivana is eating and behaving, she seems absolutely fine. We truly thought the extra things we were doing were helping based on this, so it was a massive blow to get these results yesterday. Obviously the CKD is progressing faster than we can stall it, but we are *trying* to be positive, and trying to focus on the fact that her blood chemistry is telling us one thing, but Ivana herself is telling us another, ie. she's still herself and don't give up on her yet.

Unfortunately our options for treatment are extremely limited now, vet basically said that the only thing we can really do is slightly increase the aluminium hydroxide on two of her four daily doses (that will be the maximum dose that she can have), so now we will add a bit more into the foods that are >150mg/100kCal. Nothing else we can do for the creatinine except keep giving 200mL of fluids daily (we have previously decided against hospitalising her for IV fluids), and of course keep on her other usual meds too.

She's been doing a lot of yowling lately, mostly at night, but has started doing it during the day too. We're quite certain it's the dementia, as she only ever does it when she's in a different room to us, and if we go to her she stops yowling as soon as she sees us and meows normally. So it doesn't seem like a pain thing based on that. I've ordered some transdermal CBD that should be arriving soon (assuming it makes it through customs! :nailbiting:) so hopefully that will help her chill out a bit more.

Not a real great update to be making, but fingers crossed she keeps on keeping on. Here she is yesterday, just after we got home from the vet:
    20181006_112722.jpg

The Princess about 5min after a not-so-great fluid session, complete with hissing and growling and almost-biting, but then sitting on my lap trying to look cute so I can't be mad:
    20180926_211533.jpg

Helping me make the bed :rolleyes::
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1538198598081.jpg_1538198601470.jpeg

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Tara, I am so sorry that the BW news was so disappointing. But, as you said, they are numbers and she is seemingly doing well.

My SIL's cat starting crying like that too when no one is in the room with him. Wonder if it is also dementia? I hope the CBD helps.

I like that she helps you make the bed. My Bubba helps me fold the freshly washed clothes. :rolleyes:

Tara & Ivana (GA) likes this.
  3. Tara & Ivana (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba Thank you for your kind words, it was not a good day in this household yesterday :-( Though we are feeling much more balanced about it now, and you're right they are just numbers. Well, screw the numbers! :stop: We actually decided not to take her back to the vet for any more general checkups unless something goes wrong, because there's nothing else left for us to do anyway, so no point - it only stresses her and upsets us to find out bad news, for no benefit.

So does Ivana!
    2013-10-06 15.26.20.jpg

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So sorry to see that news from the vet. I agree with you 100% about not going back unless there's a real need. Why get her all upset/stressed out at this point? Let her enjoy the bedmaking and laundry folding. Luci loves to help make the bed too...she seems to hear me coming up every week with the freshly laundered and dried sheets - I think she likes the warmth of them?? Wants me to make her right into the bed - and I usually go along with whatever she wants to do...as should we all...enjoy your beautiful girl...

Sending you prayers and healing vines across the ether today.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Ivana looks happy, that's what matters. Hopefully the CBD arrives safely. Bronx used to yowl too in the middle of the night but that stopped, maybe due to the CBD oil?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I say clinical signs trump numbers! The beautiful Empress Ivana looks wonderful and it seems she has good quality of life. Focus on that. I agree about avoiding needless vet visits - no need for that extra stress. For what it's worth, Teasel's brother has long had the habit of yowling when he's alone somewhere in my condo. He doesn't do it all the time but it's a common thing for him and he's only 8 years old.

7. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So sorry that her BW wasn't improved, but like others have said, as long as she is enjoying her life, she is happy and doing good! She is still as beautiful as always!

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

As long as she is enjoying life, numbers be damned. I have 2 who help make the bed. One who unfolds the folded laundry and growls at it (haven't figured this habit out yet). Olive is to stuck up to help with chores she thinks it's menial labor and avoids it at all costs.

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tara,
    I agree with the others: Ivana is being herself :cat: and doesn't care what her numbers are. You are certainly doing the right thing for your girl. I love her pictures. The Princess looks regal and wise. I hope the CBD will help.
    Keep on keeping on, Ivana!

Hugs and scritches

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I agree about no more general visits; I would be inclined to do just that myself.

And looks like she helps you fold clothes just about like Bubba does, the only difference is he sprawls out right in the middle of everything and if I try to remove the articles of clothing on the perimeter of his big lard butt, he swats at me!

11. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Yup, me too :bighug::cat::)

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, it is how she is feeling that is important. I hope you get the CBD and it helps. Love the pictures. Sending prayers.

13. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Give extra scritches and kisses for sweet Ivana for me. Glad to hear she's still being a good helper around the house. You're a great mama bean and know what's best for her. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Thankyou everyone, I knew you would all understand when we decided no more vet unless actually necessary - quality, not quantity. Ivana is currently sitting on my lap, wedged in between the laptop and my tummy, and has been reading all your replies and gives you all the royal paw wave to show her thanks for your good thoughts :bighug:

Yes!! This is our motto too :)

I'm so glad it's helpful. Fingers crossed it helps Ivana too, hubby and I would love a full night's sleep haha She was more yowly last night than usual, but I think that was because we forgot to leave the kitchen light on for her. Won't be forgetting that again in a hurry...

Haha classic! Olive has everyone else in the household well-trained, obviously ;)

She is earning her pocket money to help pay for her medical costs - we'll take all the help we can get :p

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry Ivana's numbers are not good. I wouldnt test any more either. If she seems well, then I would take that!
    She wouldn't be the first cat to prove a vet wrong;)
    Love the top photo of Ivana.....such a determined look on her face..........

16. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi there Tara,
    I've missed some of your latest updates. Sounds like she's perky and full of life, I agree with your decision, if there is nothing more the vet can do, then what's the point......
    I smile every time you talk about her sitting on your lap and being a lap cat.

We have help for the laundry here too, the three civies love to reorganize the clean towels and sheets in the laundry:rolleyes:

BFG sends his favorite girl headbumps.

And give her a tickle under the chin from me, she looks regal as ever.