10/13 Billie AMPS HI (bounce) +4 363 kidney issues

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deanna & Billie, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-25-billie-amps-303-4-151-pmps-289.203719/#post-2260089

Hi all,

Billie had been doing so, so well for quite a while, but over the past several days, things have gone downhill.

She got bloodwork back about two weeks ago, and it looked great (all things considered). Her liver values were still elevated, but not as high as they previously were. ALT had gone from 900 to 700. Her IM and I were happy with that, and Billie seemed very happy. Lots of purring, running, jumping, hunting her toys, and a stable appetite. Her kidney values were normal at that point.

Earlier this week, though, something seemed off. She was still eating but had thrown up liquid a couple times and I just had a bad feeling. Got bloodwork done again...liver values were actually even better. They had all come down even more. ALT around 500, all other values normal or only slightly elevated. Bilirubin normal. Unfortunately, though, her kidney values are bad. Creatinine 5.1, BUN 132, SDMA 50something. We are really, really, really hoping that she has a UTI/kidney infection and that with treatment, her kidneys will be okay. The vet sent a urine sample out for culture on Thursday but started her on antibiotics right away. She is not getting fluids due to her heart issues.

She did have her kidney values spike back in June (not quite as bad but close) which the vet suspected was due to either an infection or from being on Lasix after she went into congestive heart failure. She did test positive for a UTI at that point, and we stopped Lasix at the same time because her heart was in the clear. Her kidney values returned to normal within a month or so, and we were never sure if it was from the antibiotics or stopping the Lasix.

Regardless, she's not doing well now. She seems like she's in pain and she's barely eating on her own. A few bites yesterday, a few bites today. She even turned down rotisserie chicken. I have been syringe feeding baby food to get calories in her. The good news is that she's not vomiting, so she's keeping the baby food down. She's also drinking water on her own. She's taking Cerenia (PM), ondansetron (AM), cypro, Cannapet (which actually seems to be helping the most), and she's on amoxicillin, in addition to her usual meds (mycophenolate, denamarin, ursodiol, Keppra, insulin, inhaler). She seems lethargic but also has had moments of seeming energetic. She has gone up to DBF, meowed at him, and jumped up on his desk a few times including this morning.

I'm definitely shocked and confused that her kidney values went from normal to scary over the course of two weeks, and really hoping it is an infection and that her kidneys will be okay as the infection is treated. It would make sense for it to be an infection since she's on an immunosuppresant and has the increased risk from her diabetes.

Her blood sugar has also been really confusing. It was running high for days, which I know could be from infection. Then she was suddenly flat green for most of yesterday and the day before, even with a couple delayed shots and reduced doses due to her decreased appetite. Now she's bouncing from that.

I'll keep updating...I'm going to hope we can ride it out and she will start to feel better. Paws crossed.

Hugs and vines to everyone :bighug:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Billie. I hope it is just a kidney infection and things improve as she is treated. Sending prayers for you and Billie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Deanna & Billie likes this.
  3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the amoxicillin could be making her feel bad. It's usually not so easy on the stomach....

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending vines for Billie. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

The ondansetron only lasts about 8 hours. It can be dosed twice or three times a day. Neko was getting both it and Cerenia as she seemed to need both. And I agree with Rhiannon on the amoxicillin. It can harm the tummy flora. You might want to add a probiotic to the list, given a couple hours apart from the AB.