10.15 Ants AMPS 7.2

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Riin, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Riin

Riin Member

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

With those pops of green, glad you didn't start at vets recommendation.

How did you get that name for kitty.

Riin likes this.
  3. Riin

Riin Member

I know, right. If I had given blindly 3 units twice a day blindly without knowing his BG level.... I can not even imagine!

Initially he had a different name: Puuma (or in English Puma- one of the very few words that are similar in both English and Estonian). Because he reminded me of a black puma. But there was zero respond when I called him. One evening I started to test other names. I was like okay, pick your own name then. Ants was the only one he liked . Actually very common male name in Estonia and has nothing to do with insects. I was not thrilled about the name at first, because it’s quite an ancient name and most popular amongst older generation. But well whatever, he liked it and now I couldn’t imagine him with another name.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, you have done great with him! Looks like he may be bucking for a reduction to 1.25 with that 79 (4.4) in there.

Riin likes this.
  5. Riin

Riin Member

I think I have to reduce the dose a little bit to be on a safe side. Tomorrow starts a work week for me (had a couple of days off so it was easy to have my hawk eyes on him). Dosing 0.5 unit is hard enough. The space between the unit lines is ridiculous.

There wouldn’t be much of a problem if he would eat everything I offer. He has become annoyingly picky eater. He just watches what I offer and then leaves. The better the numbers are the less he wants to eat! Even the dry food (his usual favourite which I feed him 25% of what he is supposed to eat) does not interest him anymore. Most of the food is wasted, because I have to put out more than 1-2 choices for him. For example something that was delicious for him in the morning is absolutely disgusting for him in the evening . It’s like throwing away money. Quality low carb wet food is not as cheap here as it is in America.

I don’t know how some of you have done it for years! It’s exhausting! It’s like having a newborn in the house. Except that with a baby you can get more sleep . With a baby you don’t get up a hundret times at night to make sure he is still responding, breathing, not in a hypo, has eaten something, not have had diarrhea in places other that litter box etc. Okay I’m a night owl and I don’t need much sleep every night. But boy do I miss those morning off from work when I could sleep as much as I wanted to feel normal again. Now it is gone. Last year I worked with two jobs and I have to say even that was easier. Once a week I need to sleep!

Sorry, I feel a little bit frustrated right now because it seems like my sweet sugar boy’s new life goal is to keep me walking on egg shells and always keep me guessing which food he likes that day.

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

That is not abnormal, especially if he was eating a lot before getting insulin. The body needs time to adjust.

It is early yet and once you reconize his patterns it becomes easier. A rule of thumb is if the number is the same or below the PS number at +2 - that will be an active cycle! If it is higher...it should be a normal one. If you see a big drop....get the honey out and be prepared.

It is hard when you work, for sure.

Not that I am advocating doing this but some members here have done it for the 1.25u is get the 1.5 and push out a big drop of insulin. If you are consistent that can be your 1.25 dose if you want to take a bit of insulin out of the equation.

Once you drop you need to hold that dose for a bit unless Ants decides he wants another reduction. Lantus loves consistency, so you can move that dose around every day.

Riin likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Have you decided on with method to use? TR or SLGS?

8. Riin

Riin Member

Im doing TR as much I can. But well Im a beginner and live alone and nobody to watch him while Im at work, so I cant be too agressive for now.

I did the speadsheet to get more eyes on his numbers. You all have those detective eyes already . And Im still learning.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  9. Riin

Riin Member

PMPS was 6.9. He didnt eat after it. +2 hrs 3.1!!! He has 6 plates in front of him, just pick one and eat!! Luckily he went to eat some bites of Hills MD and wet food. Seems like a sleepless night ahead of me. Why doesn’t he eat??

10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Just wanted to mention,some people that totally stopped dry food had their kitty go into remission.
    (Riin is Beautiful! I love Black cats)
    I totally know what you mean about the 6 plates of food. My Ravan has never had dry food He was raised on a Raw meat diet. To my SHOCK he did get diabetes.
    His mom cat was feral had a litter in my garage & was hit by a car. I raised Ravan from the time he was 5 days old. He's never been sick all these years. He's 16 now.

Right now he does not want to eat. I'm doing the same thing. 6 different foods! It's so frustrating. He's usually a very good eater. It has something to do with the insulin & the diabetes.

Have you read the sticky yellow notes? Lots of info. The more you know the easier it will get ! ( I copied the info & put it into a folder I read some of it each day . I've been here since Feb . :) )
    I'm so glad you didn't follow the advice of your Vet. They all seem to be far behind in knowledge about the newer insulin like Lantus. It works very differently than the old insulin.

There are people here that work like you They get automatic feeders for the times they're at work.

He went down to 56 on this dose. You need someone to give you advice on the correct dose. Maybe @Wendy&Neko or @Chris & China They have a lot of experience.

Keep reading the info The more you learn the easier it will get! ( you can go to other posts (condos) & see the questions other people have & click on their SS (spread sheets)
    Hang in there you're doing good so far. It will get easier! :):bighug:

Riin likes this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I would say you need to take a reduction to 1.25 units. Under SLGS he would of earned the reductin with that 76 and under TR he is pretty close with that 56. He is not eating well, you will not be around to monitor or push the food options.

With lantus you have 2 hours before onset to give them food. If Jones is willing to eat a tsp at shot time I shot, if Ants isn't willing you may need to consider skipping a dose. You can always put up a post saying your stalling and ask for advice.

Was he always a picky eater or is this new since the dx of FD? If he was always on dry, the wet food might not be appetizing for him. Is there any other health issues at the moment?

Something to try. Put poarmesan cheese, bonito flakes, tuna or tuna water put on top. Maybe instead of the whole dry kibble-ground it up and put it on top. Try heating the food a little bit to see if you can get him interested with the smell.

Riin likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Please test again within 1/2 hour of that 3.1. We don't want him to go below 2.8 (50).

Riin likes this.
  13. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

May sound weird but a few times with garfie when he didn't want to eat I mixed 2 kinds together and added water to make it smoother and he ate it.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Riin like this.
  14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

He did a nice surf last night and not too big of a bounce this morning. For a kitty not eating he isn't doing too badly BG wise.

Riin likes this.
  15. Riin

Riin Member

I kind of forcefed him- smeared pate on his lips. But after the 3.1 (which freaked me out and I smered a little bit of honey on his lips) he went to eat. Not much, but still. Do they sense that BG is too low so they have to eat? Was it a coinsidence or is he a wise boy? :D

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

They will! In fact I know to test outside of the usual if I see him eating a whole bunch. He will, go back and back again. I will test then and see where he is headed.

In fact, if you are working and worried, leaving food out is one of the things we suggest to keep kitty safe.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  17. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

I think they know. Tonight garfie went to kitchen on his own and was crying which was odd. He ate supper at 5pm tonight and at 9 he was crying so I poked and he was 2.7 so I fed another meal of normal lc food and he ate and is now sleeping on kitchen table seems to be his new spot. I think he was telling me hey mom I need more food