10/17 Shmee

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Hi everyone, just checking in. Shmee is still extremely hungry and thirsty. I added a new tab to help me keep track of some things. Dr. McCue asked for an update of his water intake and weights today, waiting to hear back from him. The weights haven't been too crazy other than the first weight 15 pounds 15 ounces to 15 pounds 7 ounces two days later, but I put it might be user error, that was my first time using the baby scale and it is a little annoying to try to get an accurate weight. I am hoping he thinks the extreme hunger is just from the Pred. but also nervous about his answer since he will have to be on it the rest of his life. Hopefully he would get used to it and not be as hungry at some point. He has been SO thirsty too with this Desmopressin pill... it doesn't work nearly as good as the shot, but Dr. McCue said it might be ok and knows I would really prefer not to give him shots anymore since he started to attack me when I poked him. So he said he wanted to get the actual water intake measurement every 24 hours to determine if the pill will be ok for him. His behavior is better. Not as mean. Not himself, but hopefully getting there.

I think Shmee can officially be called OTJ? I need to get another BG test soon, maybe I will do that now. He never had a party, but I know I have been so negative I wasn't even thinking about a party... :( thanks to everyone that has put up with me. :bighug:

@Ana & Frosty @Beck and Grandpa (GA) thinking of you <3
    & vines to everyone in need of them!!

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like more progress. Good to hear he's not mean anymore.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Glad you posted an update. I actually went looking for one this morning. I don't get to spend as much time keeping up with everyone. I am glad to hear her eating is good, even ravenous. I weigh once a week and try and do it after his wet food AM cycle on Sundays. What are you feeding? Maybe a higher calorie food?

I think Shmee (and you) deserve a party :bighug::cat:.

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, OTJ is a big deal..get out the party hats! Great to hear every day he is getting closer & closer being back to himself

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Shmee's behavior is better. I hope you get good news when you talk to the vet. Sending prayers.

6. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for Shmee to continue heading toward normal, and from there to better-than-ever.

@Camille and Cyclone It sounds like Shmee (and Amanda) is feeling well enough to have a celebration.:)

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

OTJ for Shmee! Woo Hoo. That was the primary goal, along with removing the excess growth hormone. I think he will have a healthier life overall.

I'm glad Shmee is not as angry anymore. He is probably still getting used to his new hormones just like a teenage kid. Be happy that he is eating well, as that seems to plague many of our kittehs. Hugs to you.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

We definitely need an OTJ party for Shmee. He's earned it! A couple of Niptinis can do wonders. :p

Hugs and scritches,

9. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you all :bighug: His BG was 330 yesterday though :blackeye: but he gets quite a few pill pockets every day now for the cerenia and I added Denamarin (he had some left so I figured might as well since his liver levels are elevated), and the pill pockets used to make his BG skyrocket, so I hope that is what its from.

Dr. McCue has decreased his Pred. to .25 2x a day (down from .5 2x a day), to see if that is what's causing the extreme hunger. I said I was concerned doing that though since his cortisol levels are so low that cant even be measured... but he said "the low cortisol level doesn't dictate his dose fortunately. Its a screening test to see if his body starts to make the hormone on his own. If he is feeling well and no longer showing signs of pancreatitis his dose can be reduced." It scares me because its hard to tell if he's in pain. I think he is. I have him on .05 Bupe every 12 hours but I don't really know if that does much. he never really seems in a good mood, and doesn't like being picked up anymore, so I think he is still in some pain. I just ordered the Zofran because it comes in a liquid form so we wouldn't have to do the pill pockets, and I figured I would try and see if that helps him more.

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) LOL Niptinis, love it
    @LizzieInTexas he eats Fancy Feast, about 2.5 - 2.75 cans a day, in 5 meals. I don't know if he can tolerate less meals than that lol but I can look into it!

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

When Leo was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma last year, we started Pred. There was an immediate spike in hunger, followed by a pretty good appetite. So it would not surprise me if the pred is causing extreme hunger.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Amanda!!

Pred does increase appetite in humans so why not in animals?

Party time!!

Wez love a good partay! Formal or casual dress?? I can goes either way. Just don't forget to order some mouse tar tar for the menu.

Bubba

12. Amanda & Shmee

Casual! The only time I've been known to get fancy is for Christmas! :cat:

upload_2018-10-20_7-42-17.png

Unfortunately my second job didn't work out and I decided to switch companies, so I am trying to deal with that this weekend and my full time job wants overtime :( so I will get back to @Camille and Cyclone about an OTJ party asap!

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a cute photo!! Hope things work out in the job department. You sure have a lot going on!

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your second job didn't work out. Since it was so short, it should be quick to unwind from it...like "you get 10 more minutes of my time and I'm done" kinda thing.

Very cute pic of Shmee.