10/2 Quincy AMPS 384

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by April & Quincy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Morning all. I'll be doing a curve this weekend so find out what's going on but we are now 1 1/2 weeks into Basaglar injections and the numbers haven't moved much. I know I don't have many checks between shots and that's due to my schedule so I'm interested to see what happens in the curve this weekend.

I was concerned with the 504 - holy smokes, it shocked me! Then two cycles later down to 239? Is that considered a bounce? Or is it possible the Basaglar is just making it's way into his system? Lots of 300's...might need to up the dose after I do this curve this weekend.

Either way, the curve will be enlightening though he is really not liking his ears being poked and prodded anymore. Not sitting so good any more at all. :(

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Just checking in to say Hello April and Quincy. I can't advise on dosing, but I'm sure you will get input on that score. Are you giving Quincy treats before and after the tests? Lots of luvs and praise help too, at least here in this house. Keep on keeping on with the testing. It keeps him safe and you in the know.

AmandaE likes this.
  3. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Hello!! I am giving him treats after but I started to do before as well. And lots of cuddle and "good boy"'s and "such a good baby"'s. :) He loves all those things. Today was especially difficult; he kept trying to get up and I had to hold him in place...not fun. He also seems to hate having the prick in the right ear but is okay with the left?? o_O:blackeye: And the left seems to bleed easier. I don't know. Still the worst part of my day but I'm hoping I get used to it soon...

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good idea on the curve to figure out what is happening. Looks like lots of bouncing, the question is why. If you cannot test during the day, a before bed test every night is a really good idea. Lots of cats go lower at night, and even a +2 to +4 is very informative.

5. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I think he may have snuck some of his brother's food in the hour before I tested him last night so that could explain the bounce into the 500's. i can try for a before bed test as well...again, I'm hoping this curve will illuminate but after reading some other threads, maybe he's bouncing as his body gets used to the insulin???

6. Wendy&Neko

It should be a regular part of your routine before going to bed, if you can. Brush teeth, poke cat, turn out the light. Cats bounce from either going lower than they are used to, which may or may not be dangerously low, or from dropping too fast. Not because they are "getting used" to insulin. Lantus cycles are generally a curve downwards, with the high points at preshot. We determine how to change the dose based on the lows, which happen some point between the preshots, hence the need to get some mid cycle tests. It doesn't have to be the exact middle, any data, even as early as +2 is helpful. A curve will hopefully give you a better idea when Quincy likes to have his nadir or low point, though that can change from cycle to cycle.

7. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

But how do you stop a bounce? Even once I have the curve complete, how do you stop him from dropping too fast or too low?

8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

upload_2019-10-3_15-11-3.jpeg
    Rub the ear gently to warm it up or apply a warm cloth
    Try not to poke the vein It bleeds a lot.

9. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I've been holding an empty pill bottle with warmed up water to his ear for 20-30 seconds. One ear barely bleeds and the other bleeds like a siv.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Don't warm the ear that bleeds easy.

If it bleeds a LOT maybe you're nicking the vein?

11. Wendy&Neko

Bouncing is normal and a natural response, especially in newly diagnosed cats. If a cat is dropping fast (and we have no data to show that), then you can use multiple meals in the first part of the cycle to slow the drop. If they are going lower than they are used to, but still above hypo range, that's not a problem. The only way to get rid of that type of bounce is for them to spend enough time in normal blood sugar numbers than they get used to it again. The trick is making sure they aren't going too low, and the dose isn't too high. We find that out by testing mid cycle.

AmandaE likes this.
  12. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Only warm the ear that doesn't bleed easy?

13. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hey April!!

Still high numbers eh? I suspect that Quincy is in for an increase this weekend. Can’t wait to see what your curve shows us!!

It might seem kind of cruel but when I started testing I sat cross legged on the floor and totally trapped Mowgli under one of my legs so he couldn’t escape. He often liked it - I think he might have seen it as a big cuddle hug... with legs.

I’d drape him over my bottom leg and then put my upper leg over him to hold him in place, like this:
    67F25109-4E23-4292-A277-3D6C71B078BB.png
    It worked really well for me when I was starting. I would load the monitor with the strip but not push it in all the way, prepare the lancet and a cotton pad, sit down with Mowgli pinned and the monitor set down within easy reach. Then: poke the ear, grab the monitor and push the strip in, dip it in the blood.

BTW That’s an actual pic of what Mowgli and I look like on my kitchen floor :p

14. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

OMG! That's a cute drawing Amanda!!! You're very talented :)

AmandaE likes this.
  15. AmandaE

iPhone Notes app!! :cat::cat::cat:

ETA also... thanks :)

16. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

we need to keep that pic on file to show new members learning to test. Now, if I only could get down on the floor..and get back up again!

Sonia & Leo, Sue and Luci and AmandaE like this.
  17. AmandaE

Omg Lou!!! LOLOLOL

Idjit's mom likes this.
  18. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Awww cute!! I have no problems with him sitting next to me so I won't need such great pretzel-ish moves (hehe) except for that one time that he was trying to get up. Maybe he was just hungry??

AmandaE likes this.
  19. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I just looked at it again...hahaha awwww the black cat going through both ends. You are talented!