? 10/7 Osha- Proteinuria?? AMPS 96 +3 126 +7 51 +9 59

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Osha, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

9/23

Hi All,
    I finally took Osha into the vet for her check up. Most everything went really well. She doesn't even need a dental. However, when the urinalysis results came in, there was concern. The vet thinks she has proteninuria, where she is losing protein in her urine. She wants to do another test in a couple of weeks to confirm, and if it is the same to put her on Benazepril. I haven't had a discussion with the vet because I am waiting for the second test. However, I wondered if anyone has experience with this. I don't understand when everything is good, including her blood pressure, how this is happening. Her labs have been updated on the spread sheet and it looks almost identical to the blood work from last year with the exception of protein in her urine.

Also, is there a food I could switch her to that would help her with this?

@Marje and Gracie Marje, if you have time, could you look at Osha's lab results and let me know your thoughts please?

Thank you so much for your support!!

Amanda and Kitty Osha, The Empress

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One thought... Osha's albumin level has been teetering around the top limit. Albumin and globulin are the values that go into the total protein in the blood. If there are higher levels of blood protein, it can spill into the urine. It might be worth looking at the protein values in what you're feeding Osha and see if you can find a food she likes that's lower in protein. I'd also see if you can get more water into her. Are you adding water to her food? Some cats will drink more if you use a fountain vs a water bowl.

It looks like Osha's kidney and liver values are good. I would want to see the values repeated since it could be an off reading.

Osha likes this.
  3. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Thanks @Sienne and Gabby (GA) The food I am feeding now according to the chart is 37% protein and 1% carbs. It looks like Blue wilderness Turkey, chicken, salmon and duck are 28% protein and 3% carbs. Would that be good? Osha will eat anything I put in front of her. Osha LOVES her water fountain. I haven't been putting water in her food, but I will do that now. I will order new food today.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Osha likes this.
  6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Blue Wilderness has had SO many recalls, I'd personally stay far away from that. As you know, Leo has proteinuria but will only eat his primal raw :( I've been adding extra extra water and will have him retested in a month or so. Both his UPC tests confirmed proteinuria but I'm holding off on the meds.

Osha likes this.
  7. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Thanks Lizzie! I am feeling overwhelmed like I did in the beginning of the diabetes diagnosis. I want to purchase a better food for her today.

Ugh! So what food should I purchase today? I am just confused.

8. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

How about Newmans Own Organic Turkey....it's listed as 27% protein, 2% carbs and 225 phosphorous. Or, Organix turkey which is 27% proteiin, 5% carbs and 193 phosphorous. Or wild calling triple delight cat listed as 28% protein, 2% carbs and 246 phosphorous. :confused:

9. Doodles & Karen

I think those are better choices the Blue. You can go upto 9% carbs for a diabetic so look at those values too.

Osha likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda, I wish I could offer some advice , but I know nothing about proteinuria.

I am glad the rest of the BW looked fine. Hopefully some one will weigh in to offer a better food selection.

Hope y'all are doing well otherwise and that Sebastien is all better.

Osha likes this.
  11. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Thanks Bobbie. I am hanging in there. Sébastien is still waiting for results. Unfortunately yesterday was a bad day with 3 seizures. One day at a time...

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: And hugs for Sebastien also :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Osha likes this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can find a food that is lower in protein. Sending prayers for you, Osha and Sebastien. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Osha likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko had proteinuria. Your next test is probably the urine protein creatinine ratio test, or UPCR. We didn't get that done until Neko's urine was showing 2+, and I see Osha is only 1+. Proteinuria can be an early sign of chronic kidney disease. I see Osha's SDMA is on the higher side of normal, but has been for a while. Neko's kidney values didn't go out of range until six months or so after her proteinuria diagnosis. She was put on benazapril. Proteinuria can speed up the degradation of the kidneys, so you do want to control it.

Paws crossed on the UPCR results. I have seen some kitties here have urine protein 1+ and their UPCR be fine. I am glad her blood pressure is fine, Neko's was too.

Ana & Frosty (GA) and Osha like this.
  15. Doodles & Karen

She already had 1 done and it was 0.5 which is considered Proteinuria. However they like to do 3 of those tests within 2 weeks to confirm. We did 2 for Leo, both were positive so I went and had the ultrasound done. We're going to retest in a month or so before starting meds since he's so young.

16. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx had a 2+ protein and got the UPCR test and was normal at 0.3 (normal range is <0.5).

17. Bronx's dad (GA)

From that link:

Diet
    Feeding a reduced protein but high quality protein food may be of some use. Nutritional management of feline chronic kidney disease (2008) Elliott J, Elliott D Veterinary Focus 18(2) pp39-44 states that "protein restriction may "decrease proteinuria mediated by glomerular hyperfiltration, a mal-adaptive response to CKD which contributes to progressive renal injury. This is the reason for reducing protein intake in Stages 2 and 3 of CKD." However, the authors themselves admit that "The efficacy of reducing protein intake as a treatment for proteinuria is highly controversial in the cat and dog", adding that this may lead to malnutrition.

Omega 3 essential fatty acid supplements are of benefit to humans with proteinuria but it is not known if they have the same effect for cats. Proteinuria in dogs and cats (2012) Harley L & Langston C Canadian Veterinary Journal 53(6) pp631–638 states "High dose omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n3 PUFAs) in the form of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) have been shown to reduce proteinuria in humans with glomerular disease. It is also possible that renal eicosanoid production may be affected, reducing inflammation and vasoconstriction; the n3 PUFAs are renoprotective in the dog. Dogs consuming n3 PUFAs have lower mortality, increased renal function, and reduced proteinuria and cholesterol. The dose of n3 PUFAs is not known in dogs and cats and dosing is extrapolated from human data. Prescription renal diets, however, are often supplemented with n3 PUFAs."

There is as yet no evidence that these treatments will reduce proteinuria, but they are usually worth trying for a CKD cat for other reasons (see Nutritional Requirements), so I would speak to your vet about trying them.

Osha likes this.
  18. Bronx's dad (GA)

Whole Earth Farms Duck pate is 4% carb, phos 130, and 28% protein

Osha likes this.
  19. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! As Karen mentioned, I had the test done and it was 0.5:( Her recheck is on the 20th, but I wonder if I should push it out one more week because of changing the food.

I just ordered some Whole Earth Farms Duck pate. :cat:

20. Doodles & Karen

They want the retests done within a 2 week period so I'd go ahead and do it. I tried giving Leo different food in between and it didn't make a difference but he also wouldn't eat much of it :(

Osha likes this.
  21. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Ok, I will keep the appointment.
    :(

22. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

When Gizmo is feeling good he loves the duck.

23. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

So I personally wouldn’t change anything and just do the re check in 2 weeks first. As someone above said, it could be an off number. Don’t do anything until you’re sure there’s a problem. Then if the values are indeed true, discuss with vet if decreasing protein in food is the appropriate next step.