11/01 Toby PMPS 295 **** NEVER SHOT THIS LOW****

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kate & Toby, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Evening all,
    Day 7 of Levemir having switched from prozinc, and I think its starting to work! We had some lovely blues day before yesterday and this is my first ever yellow pre shot.

Am I right in thinking I need to learn to shoot low to stay low? This is brand new territory for us so excuse my ignorance, I'm just getting to grips with a depot insulin.

Shooting soon.

Thanks for your help x

2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Congrats on a better preshot number! I am no advisor, but I don't believe anyone would say to withhold or lower your dose. Bumping this up!

Kate & Toby likes this.
  3. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks Tina!

4. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Can you monitor tonight?

295 is a safe number to shoot :) a pretty one too in comparison to all the others! I’d get a +2 and +3 like you normally would.

Forgive me, what method are you following or you haven’t decided?

5. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks Crista. I'm doing a combination of the 2 methods as needed to get Toby into better numbers quicker than SLGS will allow, but cant test enough for true TR, I test as much as I can and have trained my retired dad to test him too so he pops in most days to test and feed Toby. It's a good job Toby is so unbelievably good at being tested!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Rather than combining dosing methods, it is best to stick to one at a time. Each has their own safety methods built in. What you could do is follow TR for now, then switch over to SLGS when numbers are getting closer to where you want to slow down.

Fun fact about kitties on Levemir, their nadir is later than on other insulins. Sometimes that means nadiring near or at preshot time. So you have to get used to shooting lower. On up side, onset is later, so you have quite a few hours to feed and for the numbers to rise before next dose of insulin starts to lower the numbers again.

Having said all that, I hope you can get a before bed test in tonight. Looks like he might be coming down from a bounce.

7. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Thanks Wendy, I shot as normal, and yes I will get lots of tests in over the weekend, i think his nadir is about +7... we shall see! Thank you as always for your input

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Fabulous that you're finally seeing a better pre-shot number. Wait until you get a green pre-shot!! It's so exciting the first time...we don't get to shoot many greens...but I sure love seeing them!

Hoping to see some great numbers after this weekend's tests. :)

Kate & Toby likes this.