? 11-03-19* help ASAP *lantus advice ! Need New dosage ? ASAP Salem AMPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Salem, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Hello everyone as some my know Salem gave us quiet a scare last night when he did very well all day in his numbers we have been giving 1.5 Units for the lsst three days he did Very well until last Night We are trying to decide if we should sho down on his dpse today to 1.25 units hes AMPS this morning is reading 411 should we go lower or just drop to 1.25 ? He will T/F/S at 7:00am need advise if we should drop from 1.5 u to 1.25 or go back to 1.00 ? I thinkwe should go with 1.25 he did well yesterday until he dropped to 75 then 32/66/ ?! It was hard trying to get him back up with honey and high carbs Very scarey he just got out if the hospital with DKA
    He is on Lantus
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...6-3-68-3-5-69-4-52.221187/page-2#post-2470892

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tina
    As @Sandy and Black Kitty said in yesterday's thread, you earned a reduction in dose to 1.25 units.
    I would not drop lower than 1.25 units as Salem is just recovering from DKA.
    Your SS is showing +10 as 411 not AMPS 411.
    Did you mean to say +10 is 411?

Have you managed to test another urine for ketones yet?

3. Tina and Salem

Oops i meant +10 Just fed but he T/F/S 11-03-19 @ 7 i will retest at 7 should i wait til then to ask for advise on dosage ? Is it too early. no keton test as of yet its hard to get salems urine im working on getting a ketone meter this week i know its very urgent to test for ketones especially after he just got out of the hospital with DKA

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Tina and Salem

Sorry i edit my post

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes do check at AMPS....always do that.
    Unless Salem drops lower under 200 which I doubt he would do, I would give the 1.25 units.
    If you feel more comfortable you can post the AMPS and see what others think.
    I'm heading to bed now but I will check in tomorrow.
    You are doing really well!

Tina and Salem likes this.
  6. Tina and Salem

Yes i always retest at AMPS Sandi says its ok to just fed then test at AMPS but i like to test before at feeding 2 hrs before especially after +3

7. Tina and Salem

Ok AMPS 436 T/F/S 1.25 U

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning, Tina!

Did you mean to post this in Lantus? We can have a moderator move it if so.

I agree, 1.25U for now. That 35 was scary, but you (and Sandi) handled it like a champ!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  9. Tina and Salem

No i meant to so i could get more people to see it . Lol . Since it was so early needed advise asap . I know we are not suppose to have no more than one thread per day but previously one night we hardly got any responses .
    Thank you

10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Gotcha! Just making sure.

Hopefully more of the DKA-familiar folks will see this and weigh in as the day goes on today, but I do think that 1.25U was good for this morning with him being so high. The general principle with DKA recovery is to get as much insulin into them as you can do safely to keep the ketones at bay, and he should be able to handle the 1.25U today.

Tina and Salem likes this.
  11. Nan & Amber (GA)

One thing you can do if you want to cast the net wide to a different forum, is to put a little post in another forum with: your question, a link to the main post of the day, and an invitation to come join the discussion.

The problem with having multiple threads going on the same topic in different places is that you might get conflicting advice because not everyone is seeing the same discussion with the same details and it can get confusing for everyone :confused: o_O :).

12. Tina and Salem

Thanks . Yes they discussed that with me in the rules of posting threads , i thought i Put a link to my post so everyone saw what was going on ? Thats what they told me also . First post of the day put a link to yesterday's thread or if i get help in another thread link it to the other. See the very first post i made it has a link to yesterdays thread . The lantus thread or forum

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  13. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, @Nan & Amber (GA). Right, Tina she is describing what I did last night where I created this post:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/911-in-l-l-got-help-now-thx.221214/

just to make sure that someone saw your 911 over in Lantus, it is only a pointer over in the other forum - not A place to have a separate conversation. You don’t want to have two separate conversations going in two places or it loses continuity. So originally my post over in the main forum simply had a link to the post in Lantus. Once I got to your house and saw that we were already getting help in Lantus, I edited the title over in Main so that people would know the situation was being addressed.

Just to be clear, as we’ve discussed:
    1. In the Lantus group, post one thread per day, and make sure that it reference the previous day’s thread in Lantus. You seem to have the hang of this.

2. For EVERY test you take during the day, record it in your spreadsheet, and edit the title to reflect the new test. If you run out of Space in the title, remove the oldest ones (and any extra comments that aren’t necessary any more) and add the new readings. Post #4 in http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...4-28-3-245-5-5-226-8-205.221145/#post-2470256 explains how to structure your title to convey the most information in the least amount of space. It is also explained in this document that you should have already read, but I am including it here for reference: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

3. It was a unique situation last night where I actually had to jump in the car right after we recognized that there was a potential 911. Normally what you would want to do is post your 911 in the Lantus forum, start following your instructions on handling low numbers, and then in a short amount of time, if you aren’t getting anyone to comment on your post in Lantus, then a few minutes later you can create a thread over in Main to point to the one in Lantus - but do not have a separate discussion there, it is just a way of saying “I have an emergency situation over in the Lantus forum, can you please head over there to see if you can help?”. The reason for putting a separate post in the main forum is that in an emergency situation, even people that do not use your same type of insulin (so they would never see your post in Lantus) can likely help you through your emergency. Does that make sense?

I hope that helps. If you have any questions about any of this, please feel free to ask here and any of us can help you. We know it’s all overwhelming, but all that matters is that we keep improving.

Please give Salem scratches on his head for me, and apologize to him for me poking the heck out of his ear last night!

:bighug::cat::bighug:

14. Tina and Salem

Hes doing ok +11=179 so tired thanks everyone !

15. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Tina, I strongly suggest that you quickly go over to your post in the Lantus forum, and change your title to reflect the 179 at AMPS+11 and ask for dosing help because you are due for a dose in about a half hour. I'll create a page there right now but cannot change your title. You should have edited the title over there when you got the 179 for the people that are helping you out and keeping an eye out for you.

You are looking at numbers that have been dropping all day, the 1.5 depot is still in effect even though you only shot 1.25 this morning, and both you and I are shot from last night's adventure. PLEASE post there for help before giving 1.25 units of insulin tonight to see what the opinions are. This is not a 911, but change it to indicate in the title that dosage help is needed.

And test again now and add that to PMPS.

16. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m locking this thread so all conversations can continue in the Lantus thread also created today.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.