11/10 Sweet Pea AMPS 128 Going in wrong direction-need advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mom2SweetPea, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Hi there! Things with Sweet Pea had been (finally!!) going along great! She was in solid greens/really low blues for several days on just a drop on Lantus. I was feeling so hopeful! But now the numbers are creeping back up again, and I'm not sure what to do. Do I increase the dose? Stay at a drop? She definitely seems to be settling into something. I'm hoping her pancreas is healing and just needs a bit more time. I don't want to mess this up and do the wrong thing! TIA for any advice/thoughts. :)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's not uncommon to have to go back up in dose a bit as the pancreatic beta cycles try to heal and get tired. Giving insulin a little longer will help them heal, as long as it's safe to do so. Overall Sweet Pea is looking a lot better this month. :)

It's likely the depot of the 0.25 unit dose was what was helping to keep her green when you went to the drop dose. Typically we'll suggest going from 0.25 units to 0.1 units next then maybe a drop dose. I see the dose has also been changing around a bit lately. It's best to pick a dose, hold it for 6 cycles (if following TR, 1 week if following SLGS) and wait for the depot to stabilize and then evaluate the dose. I see different doses last night and this morning. I would stick with the 0.1 or whatever you are calling it, for a bit yet. Have you decided whether you are following TR or SLGS for dosing? I'm assuming TR based on the spreadsheet. If so, the next reduction is when she does either a week in mostly normal numbers, or drops below 50.

For history, here is your last post here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-25-sweet-peaamps-374-220-4-241-advice-needed.203696/

3. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Thanks for the reply, Wendy! :) Honestly, I don't really know what the actual dose is that she's getting. I *think* it's .125 but it might very well not be. The .125 and drop are pretty much the same thing as I'm measuring. My plan was to stick with the .125 but last night's preshot number of 142 made me panic a little and up it a smidge. I'm having a little trouble getting consistent doses with the drops being so teeny tiny! I'm not really following TR or SLGS because we don't fit neatly into either category. She's eating YAZC dry, so I guess that counts us out of TR, but SLGS isn't aggressive enough, so I've developed a middle ground between the two that has worked well enough so far. Sorry I forgot to post the link to last post. thanks for doing that!