11/16 Maggie AMBG=119 No Shot, PMPS=95, +1=72, +2.5=47, +3=70, +4=72, +5=109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-34-3-42-3-5-46-4-53-4-5-63-5-70-6-68.186740/

Maggie spent a couple hours with the sharks last night, going as low as 32 at one point. :eek: Marje said usually if a kitty dropped below 40 it was time for an OTJ trial, but Maggie's AMPS were too high. She suggested several options (trial, holding dose, doing less than a drop) and I decided to skip this AM's injection to see how she does today, with the intention of holding the current dose of a drop in the PM, sticking closely to the feedings schedule (especially the +9 snack), and feeding slightly higher carb LC food. Hopefully this will get her into the green for the AMPS.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what she does today with the skipped shot. I'm glad you finally got her to come back up last night.

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Glad she finally came up last night. I like that she may have forced your hand to try OTJ, it's funny to me that sometimes while we are sitting here hemming and hawing over the data, the cats just make decisions for us :joyful:

I truely hope that she's ready and her slightly higher AMPS is just her thing. Excited for you guys :)

4. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws crossed you can start a trial :D:D:D

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I missed out on all the excitement last night. :D:D

I hope Maggie shows you what she wants to do from this point on.

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I sure like that +2 :D, good luck and I hope Maggie keeps showing you those great numbers!

7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Nice +2 considering the no-shot! Surf it Maggie; show us what you can do!:D:D

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Better start today. Did you feed a +9 snack last night? The SS indicates +8.

One question I forgot to ask you is how you are drawing 1 drop? It’s possible there is a way to get a little less insulin unless you are already drawing it by pressing and holding the plunger in firmly, inserting the needle in the pen, and then letting the pressure off the plunger so it draws in one small drop.

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Yes, the snack was at +9, not +8.
    That is the way I draw a drop. My husband said to try to get less I should just push the plunger in halfway.

10. Marje and Gracie

Thanks for the response.

I think it would be a challenge to always be pressing the plunger in half way consistently so, if it were me, I’d stick to our original plan. If she drops below 40 again, we’ll have to do a trial. Paws crossed the +9 snack helps more and we can hold her at this dose a little longer and keep her safe.

Thanks, Alicia.

11. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Maggie's up to some exciting stuff!

Maybe you can get an afternoon nap? :)

12. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Oh, I doubt that... :smuggrin:

13. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

@Marje and Gracie What do you think is an appropriate carb percentage for this plan? Around 10%, less, more? She been eating 3-4%. Thanks!! :)

14. Marje and Gracie

I would not go higher than 10%. I don’t have a handle on how carb sensitive she is but you should. If she’s very carb sensitive, you might only need 6-8%. If she’s not carb sensitive, you might need 10%. I’ll have to let you experiment with that so you know what brings her up just a tad but does not send her out of green. We just want to flatten her in green and keep her above 40, if possible, not send her up into blue.

15. rawia

rawia Member

She looks good and i think that you should try an OTJ. If she starts high then goes low with no shot then i think it is ok, every cat is different.

16. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Beautiful numbers today Maggie!

17. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Wow, Maggie, look at those lovely greens with no shot. This must be really frustrating for you, Alicia - to be so close but not yet OTJ. I so hope things go well and that Miss Maggie will decide to finally let go of the tiny bit of insulin she's still on. Are any of her other meds holding her back, do you think?

Girlie has crossed her paws for Maggie, and I've crossed my fingers for you. :D

18. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thanks! I'm going to follow Marje's suggestion to go a little higher carb and stick with the drop for a while. I don't think any of her meds are holding her back. The pred is the only one that affects the BG, that I know of. We'll see what happens tonight.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  19. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:DWoweee!! Look at Maggie go. Can't wait to see what happens. I'm sure soon you won't even need that drop;)

:bighug:

20. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

+2.5 = 47. Here we go again...

21. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Starting at PMPS, I'm feeding her Halo Grain Free Turkey & Duck with 6.55% carbs as opposed to 4% in Fowl Ball.

22. Marje and Gracie

Good job getting her back up...let’s hope she stays there!

That might seem intuitive for starting a trial but we have a lot of empirical data from this forum that shows us remissions hold better if the kitty goes into them in predominantly green numbers.

If you haven’t seen this research on Predictors for Relapse of Remission, it’s worth the read. Cats with fasting clucosd concentrations of over 135 were more likely to fall out of remission.

23. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thanks! I thought she was more carb sensitive than this and thought she would be higher. This food is pate style, which she prefers.
    Forgot to mention she threw up her AM +9 snack (rehydrated liver treat). Going to find something else for the PM +9.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  24. Marje and Gracie

Poor girl! I might try a tsp of LC pate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.