? 11/18 Gizmo PMPS 469, +2=510, +3=406, +4=419

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

11/17

AMPS 271

This morning (about 45 min before getting up) Gimzo had diarrhea - well, maybe better to call it watery poo. He made it to his usual spot (just out side the litter box, which is normal for him and his poo). No other signs that he had any other episodes overnight.

I knew he wasn't feeling well last night. I suspect(ed) low potassium last night - still not sure what is going on. I mixed up a SEB slurry and added it to his AM food. He ate all. He ate his +3, +6 and freeze dry snack at +7 last night. Good appetite. No signs of dehydration.

I threw away the food from last night and mixed up a new batch. I talked about mixing in different FF food yesterday but I hadn't done it yet.

Any ideas? I see people here refer to "good poo" or "poo'd this am" and I always wondered why. Should I be concerned?

This is completely out of the norm for Gizmo. He has had diarrhea before but very, very rarely.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diarrhea. If it doesn't clear up, I'd be concerned. It's not normal for a cat to have diarrhea, but it can happen sometimes like with people. I use pumpkin for my cats. I just mix a teaspoon in their food. I hope the SEB helps. Sending prayers.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

I will watch it. He is currently laying upside down in the middle of the living room. Obviously not too traumatized :confused::rolleyes:.

I am going to back off testing as much today unless absolutely necessary. Give him a bit of a break.

Gill & George likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

+2 347

Not going to test until +5 unless someone think I need to.

5. carfurby (GA)

I think it's fine to wait until +5 to test. I hope his tummy settles down.

6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

My first thought was which new food did you try but toss that theory out. I agree with Carla and if it persists then worry. Doodles hasn't had poo issues in a long time but when he did a few doses of SEB cleared it up.

Also want to mention that Gizmo hit some lower numbers that he hasn't seen much. This can cause him to feel lethargic at first until his body gets use to the "normal" lower numbers. The analogy someone gave me was it's like if a person is use to drinking coffee and then stops they feel yucky, more tired etc. until their body adjusts to not having it. Maybe it's low potassium as your suspecting but maybe not.

Enjoy a bit less pokie break today. Glad he seems to be feeling good now.

LizzieInTexas and Gill & George like this.
  7. LizzieInTexas

@carfurby & @Doodles & Karen

Thanks. He ate his 3+ snack and is currently cleaning himself. I will just take it easy on him for now.

He has been known to get ahold of a wayward lizard so who knows. It sure did stink and looked like grey clay. Mama's worry ya know.

Taking this opportunity to get some hose cleaning done.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  8. LizzieInTexas

+5 390

Do you think something is wrong (like a trip to the vet wrong)? or is this just a bounce?

9. Doodles & Karen

How is he acting, does it seem something is wrong? If he has a tummy ache...liquid poo...that can also raise bg's. It could be a bounce as he did see a red 2 days ago after a run of blues.

10. LizzieInTexas

Like he doesn't feel good. Maybe pain? Maybe breathing a bit harder? Maybe from picking him up so often the last few days and his panc didn't like it?

Anyone know anything about Torbugesic? It is a liquid. It is the pain meds I have to give him. It really spaces him out - and that is with 1/4 of the regular dose. I don't think I have given it to him since dx of diabetes.

He is currently eating his +6 snack. I am going to go vacuum the upstairs and then give him a small dose of the pain meds unless someone can tell me if it has sugar or I shouldn't.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  11. carfurby (GA)

I've never heard of it. You should put it in your subject line so maybe someone who knows about it can answer you.

12. LizzieInTexas

:banghead:

Why didn't I think of that. Thanks. After he ate he spent about 25 min cleaning his paws. Every.single.one.of.them. SMH. He is resting now and doesn't seem to be breathing as hard? He isn't meatloafed. Just laying in his usual spot with his head on his paws, half curled up. I will change the title and wait a bit. He is eating. I haven't seen him drink water, but I put water in his AM food and an icecube (that melts by the time he eats) in is +3 and +6 snack so he has gotten water today. He has peed, but it was way earlier today.

13. Doodles & Karen

I'm not versed on medications and do everything to avoid giving any. I might call your vet and hopefully someone else has some info to share. Hope the little man feels better soon.

14. LizzieInTexas

Me too. I hate pancreatitis. Really, really hate it. Since he seems to be doing better I am going to wait it out (for now). I am going to test in about 40 min (+8) and go from there.

15. Doodles & Karen

I hope it's not a flair. @Carol & Murphy her Murphy gets it from time to time and might have some insight. :bighug::bighug:

16. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

When was the last time he had his pain meds?
    Has he used this since he has been on insulin?

17. LizzieInTexas

Maybe August? I really don't give it to him unless he is in very obvious pain.
    No.

18. Gill & George

I would probably double check with the vet before you use, just in case there is any interaction with it.
    BTW did you know that a side effect can be diarrhea ?

https://www.vetinfo.com/cat-pain-relief-torbutrol.html

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the pain med. Grey stinky stool could indicate some liver changes. When was the last time he had blood work done? Is his stomach distended? I think a vetty visit might be in order.

20. LizzieInTexas

21. LizzieInTexas

Ok, just talked with one of the techs. Dr. Pratt (vet) ok'ed the Torbogisic - I gave him 0.1mL (regular dose is .58mL). Tech took down all info and is going to discuss with vet when she gets out of surgery. He also followed me upstairs and peed just a min ago - but it was weird - it was almost like he was "spraying" and he didn't squat as much as normal - but I don't always stand around and watch him pee. I also had just cleaned the litter box and put fresh litter in it - so it is very "full".

He didn't hear his autofeeder go off with his 12 noon freeze dry treats - so after I gave him the meds I called him (and he came right away) and I showed them to him and he just finished those. He is cleaning his face right now.

22. LizzieInTexas

October 18. See attached.
    Not sure how to tell - but it doesn't feel or look bloated. I just went over to him and pushed on it all around with no reaction from him.

Attached Files:

23. LizzieInTexas

24. Gill & George

Sending vines for Gizmo:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Glad you spoke to the vet. How's he doing now you gave him his pain meds?
    Maybe once his pain meds kick in you may say BG come down, pain can make them go up.
    I don't think there is anything in the BW that you wouldn't expect to see in a CKD/fd kittie.(I'm no expert though)

25. LizzieInTexas

Well he is laying next to me. Getting lovings, purring. IDK.

Would a fur shot look like these numbers? I don't think it was but just trying to figure it out.

He eating, peeing, somewhat active (when he is really sick he won't move and definitely doesn't want to be around me).

26. LizzieInTexas

27. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

My guess is that he is bouncing from the 131 in yesterday's AM cycle. That is the lowest recorded number since 11/9 . The bounce could take 3 days to clear. And if you think that he isn't feeling well, that could be making his numbers higher as well. Sending you lots of vines. :bighug:

28. LizzieInTexas

For historical purposes
    AMPS 271, +2=347, +5=390, +8=439, +10=493, +11=446

PMPS 469

29. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, Neko got a lot of Torb the first part of this week. It's a sedative, so if he's relaxed, that might be why. I think @jayla-n-Drevon has given it to her cats too. As evidence by her BG, the Torb did NOT increase Neko's blood sugar.:rolleyes:

Gizmo is just bouncing from all the lovely blue he saw yesterday. That's the longest stretch of blue he's seen. Whenever you see a +2 that is quite a bit higher than the preshot, good chances you are seeing a bounce and can ease off the testing until the next preshot. If you are ever worried about a fur shot, you can sniff the injection site. A fur shot is pretty obvious - she says speaking from experience. :oops:

30. LizzieInTexas

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Could the bounce have caused the diarrhea?

I am probably freaking out for nothing but I am still freaking out. Vet hasn't called. She may still. If things take a turn at least they are open till midnight - though my vet won't be there - but they are all good - a couple of them are a bit quirky.

There might be something going on with his front paws. Not sure. He does NOT like his paws messed with at all. I mentioned ^^ up thread about him spending 30 min "cleaning/licking" them earlier today. Then I caught him sitting with one of them held up. I tried to look at them earlier and he got snappy with me. Hubby tried when he got home and same thing so it will be a fight to visually look if we choose to try. It is more his "wrists" than the actual paw. But he has no issues jumping down from a perch.

I am going to give him an hour or so before I mess with him more so his food can settle.

He is strictly an inside kitty but I am wondering if he got bit by something that made it inside. We have black widows, copperheads and coral snakes OUTSIDE. Anyway..

Thanks for all the support and suggestions EVERYONE.

31. Doodles & Karen

Not likely the reason otherwise most of the L&LL kitties would constantly have diarrhea. It's hard not to worry about them all the time. We're all mostly helicopter beans as we call it. I hope he didn't get bit and maybe he just needs a chill day.

32. Gill & George

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Glad he's relaxed, sending tummy settling and BG lowering vines:bighug::bighug::bighug:

33. LizzieInTexas

34. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi!!
    Yes I have used torb but it was for Rico who doesn't have FD but does have a heart condition. I do check him tho since Dre was DX and I did check him after the torb and it did not raise his BG--I give it to him a few times a week for comfort.:bighug:

35. LizzieInTexas

36. jayla-n-Drevon

thoughts and prayers coming from Chicago :bighug::bighug:

37. jayla-n-Drevon

PS... I know it is much easier said than done but try to remember it is just a number and if he is not acting sick it very likely can be a bounce.
    HUGS!:bighug:

38. LizzieInTexas

It's not hurting him? I just wish he would stop going up..

39. jayla-n-Drevon

does he get sq fluids?
    sq often will lower bg....also helps with excessive drinking when they have high bg.

40. carfurby (GA)

If something is bothering him that could be making his BG higher along with a bounce. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

41. LizzieInTexas

No. He has been drinking water but not in excess and I put water in his food.

42. LizzieInTexas

I need to go to bed. Is he ok with no more testing tonight? Hubby can probably get a +4 and maybe a +5 if I ask really nice.

+3 406

At least he came down out of the blacks.

43. carfurby (GA)

I think you're safe to go to sleep. It doesn't look like he's going to come down that fast. I'm glad he's coming back down.

44. LizzieInTexas

Thank you. I am sure ya'll will be glad to get rid of me for the night. :D:bighug::bighug:

I will get +4 in 15 min and then I am out.

45. LizzieInTexas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.