11/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=201, +2=135, +3.5=107, +4.5=84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

11/17 (PM +4.5=88)

AMPS=234

He got a rehydrated chicken heart in this cycle this morning. I need to better document this. I seems that his numbers are better when it is in his cycle but right now it is just a gut feeling because I haven't documented which cycles he is getting it. I am NOT giving it every cycle - primarily because I don't know what I am doing - lol.

I talked with the compounding pharmacy yesterday. They do not have any formulas that do NOT include some sort of sugar. They do not have any of the FE to compound anyway. They have talked with Dr. P but no decision was made on what to do.:banghead:

Any suggestions on how to get iron into him? While doing a google search I did find some water that was enhanced with iron but it has been discontinued. pur-Absorb It was enhanced with Vit C and I don't know if he could have that anyway. Of course I wouldn't start anything without talking with his vet.

Happy Caturday :cat:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the chicken heart affects his BG once you start documenting it. Good luck figuring out how to get everything to help Gizmo. I hope he slides down today. Sending prayers.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm also curious to see how the chicken heart affects his BG. No advice about iron, sorry. Wishing you a blue-green day!

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

5. LizzieInTexas

That looks good. I found the list of ingredients

INGREDIENTS: Dried Animal Digest, Animal Liver, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Ferrous Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80, Caramel Color, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Anethole, Sodium Saccharin, Citric Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Propyl Paraben (preservative), Methyl Paraben (preservative), Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 supplement.

Anyone see any sugar? Is Sorbate sugar?
    Love that it as potassium also.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I wonder if a little bit of liver would help, I don't with the CKD and other issues how that works, but liver has a lot of iron and cats usually love to eat them.

7. LizzieInTexas

Liver is very high in phosphorus. Very bad for ckd kitties. Heart has less phosphorus and less Vit A that is why I am giving FD heart vs. liver. I have finally got his phos level down to normal and don't want to risk driving it back up.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Prayers for wisdom and direction on this issue, Lizzie :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. LizzieInTexas

This is what I got

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036VE3V2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First time I gave it to him I quartered the heart and rehydrated it and put 1/4 in each of him cycle bowls. He ate them but had to chew and chew. 2nd time I did it the same way and he promptly pulled out the 1/4 and put it on the floor beside his bowl and continued with his regular food - lol. Now I quarter and then sliver it before I rehydrate and add all (including the water) to his cycle food before I divide it up into the individual bowls.

I think it was more the texture than the flavor.

10. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

11. LizzieInTexas

:D

Well, I was pretty sure someone would:joyful:

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  12. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Are you feeding them primarily to increase iron, or are there other benefits as well?

13. LizzieInTexas

Yes, well to increase his RBC count, though I am sure there are other benefits.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used to cut about a quarter inch slice of chicken heart, and just feed that as is, without hydrating. It never spiked Neko's BG. Hearts are rich, so you don't want to feed too much at once.

As for the ingredient list above, yuck on the Xanthum gum. I try to avoid gums.

16. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

What about pureeing the heart (I'm still focused on pureeing everything in sight, if possible... LOL)... I wonder if that would solve the texture problem?

You're trying to juggle a lot of different balls with Gizmo and the different issues - not easy! :bighug:

17. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=201

History:
    AMPS=234, +2=196, +4=157, +6=152, +11=222
    Can I ask why? Just curious.

18. LizzieInTexas

It is more difficult trying to find things that work with everything else. On a positive note - he is feeling good and eating good.

Slivering the heart works, once rehydrated it is just bits mixed in with his regular food.

19. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I started Yum on B12 shots. Her bloodwork this week suggests it has boosted her hematocrit.
    Unfortunately she got a UTI and now she is out of remission, just in time for Thanksgiving. I will have to board her. Very upsetting.

20. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Not out of REMISSION, out of REGULATION. Wishful thinking there.

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Xanthum and other gums can cause GI upset in some kitties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.