11/20 Paws AMPS 479 +6.5 346 +9 278 | PMPS 247 +3 122 +4 58 +5 47 +5.5 51 +6 42 +6.25 72

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MrPawsKitten, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Yesterday

After dropping to 55 last night, I got worried and gave Paws a few bites of HC dry food. This morning he's waaaay back up there. But he downed a full can of food this morning and is now snuggling on my lap.

Vet visit today for tests, curious what she'll have to say about the low numbers last night.

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning! Have you decided if you are following TR or SLGS? With TR, the reduction point is 50, but dry food has to be out of the picture. However, with SLGS, the reduction point is 90, and dry food could be part of the picture. If you were following SLGS, then 0.75u would have been given this morning.

Are you able to monitor this cycle?

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Paws is revolting from the greens, hope he gets used to them soon! :cat:

4. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Oh, what nice numbers, though, before Paws bounced. What a good reaction to the Lantus! :)

MrPawsKitten likes this.
  5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hope the vet visit went well.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

MrPawsKitten likes this.
  6. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Thanks so much everyone! Back from the vet and a couple other personal appointments... Vet visit went so well for Paws, he's gained 0.8 lbs back since his Dx! He has come to associate visits to the vet with love and attention from the vet techs, so he was a VERY happy kitty. Smokey, on the other hand, is always terrified, and whimpered the whole time. Poor guy. But we'll shortly know if either or both of them have CKD, so we can come up with a proper feeding plan.

With the bounce, Paws is once again back to not quite being his usual self... he just wants to sit on the couch and sleep, rather than try and sit in my lap or on my laptop while I'm trying to work.

@Mandy & Rex - Haven't officially decided on TR or SLGS yet - really just trying to get my head around all of this and make sure he's stable before actually doing anything. Was thinking of doing TR but since today is just one week after his initial diagnosis, I'm more just worried that my fur baby is ok, than thinking about pushing / managing the numbers. The greens were a complete shock to me, and caught me entirely off guard. And don't really want to do anything until I've had the chance to do the proper full curve this Thursday and talked it over with my vet.

Numbers have been falling most of the day, so I'm assuming my panic with the dry food is wearing off. Going to do a +9 then wait til PMPS; should be able to do a +3 and either a +5 or +6 this evening.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  7. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Looks like Paws's bounce is over, and he's back in low blues... PMPS was higher than last night, but +3 is lower -- I'm so confused! Guess I'd better get a +4 number, based on last night.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, a +4 may be wise. Looks like Paws is responding really well to Lantus. :)

The reason we ask about TR or SLGS is that if you were following SLGS, you should be shooting 0.75 units, not 1.0 units. And Paws may be telling you tonight what he thinks about this dose. Any progress on syringes with half unit markings? If not, another option some people use to measure smaller doses is digital calipers. Here is a post that talks abou it.

9. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Paws is mad at me, I think his ear hurts now. He's reluctantly sitting on my lap, and both purring and flicking his tail at me.
    +4 of 58. Stay tuned... Can't believe how quickly he's responded to Lantus.
    Since I was thinking of TR, guess it's time to decide that's the way I'm going... but also time to fully assemble the hypo kit... Wish I had more curve history before these greens...

10. Wendy&Neko

Regardless of TR or SLGS, Paws needs a reduction to 0.75 units. Have you given him some high carb food? Either canned high carb or syrup/honey/karo on his regular wet food. Just a couple tsps of food. You want to be able to eat later if you need to keep feeding. Test again 1/2 hour after that 47.

Up Paws!

11. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

+5 was just 47... was definitely a good sample
    He's seems quite happy ... but I just re-read the hypo page - it sounds like I should feed him?

12. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Ok... A little bit of canned FF Gravy it is... it's his fave, gonna be hard to just give him a few bites ;)

13. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

Up to 51, gonna give him a little more

14. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

And down to 42 - despite the food - just gave him a bunch more, and he's devouring it - at this point do I need to go to the karo / honey?

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What we usually suggest is that you pop the top on the Gravy Lovers, put it back down and "squeeze" the gravy into another bowl.....the gravy is where most of the carbs are and you can give a couple of teaspoons at a time without worrying too much about filling them up in case you need them to eat later.

If you just fed him again, I'd just test again in 30 minutes and see where he's at. 40's are still safe, but we don't want him to continue to drop

IF you do end up using Karo/honey/syrup at some point, you only give a few drops at a time

Looks like you're going to be having a PJ party tonight!! :coffee::coffee::coffee:

16. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

LOL yeah, definitely a PJ party...
    Gave him about 2 more Tbsp of the food at +6. I've never seen him go to town on any food as much as he just did.
    Tested at +6.25 = 72 - so we're headed the right direction - I hope. BC we're so new to all of this, we have no idea where his usual nadir is yet, so no idea if he's on the way up or down.

17. Wendy&Neko

The higher carb food can keep the number up,for a couple of hours, then wear off and the numbers might drop again. I am afraid you are going to have to be vigilant for a couple hours after feeding carbs. Next time, do tsps, not tbsps of food, so he has room if you need to keep feeding. If he's still above 50 in 30 minutes, you can feed a little bit of low carb food to see if it'll help him surf or maintain these healing numbers.

Paws REALLY wants less insulin.

18. Chris & China (GA)

OK....no more food unless it's low carb

Test again in another 30 minutes.....if he's still doing OK, test once more an hour later.....if he's still doing good, you can probably relax

We want to continue testing for at least 2 hours after the last time we had to intervene with high carb or Karo/honey/syrup to make sure they stay up without having to repeat.

If they drop below 50 again at any time during that 2 hour "clock", it starts over

19. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

+6.5 = 66
    He's one happy kitty right now, though... he got some of his most favoritest food ever, and lots of attention!
    Paws is definitely going to get less insulin in the AM... I have no idea how much less, though...

20. Wendy&Neko

For now, you may have to eyeball the reduced dose. See if you can fill a sample, used syringe with coloured liquid to use to compare against so you can try to draw consistent doses until you get new syringes. Maybe a dose with a consistent amount of light below the one unit mark?

21. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Come up, Paws!

He sure didn't waste any time putting you in the thick of it, but now you're a little more experienced for the next time.

22. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

No kidding! It's a good thing he's cute!
    Definitely good to have more experience, but not how I'd like it to happen! I need sleep!
    +7 = 93 - so we're probably good? I know I need to wait til +8 but I'm gonna relax a little.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  23. Chris & China (GA)

They all LOVE that gravy!!!

I can't stay any longer to watch for you, but I'm hoping @Gill & George (who live in Spain and are just now getting up) might be able to check in on you.

If you need it, make sure you have the sticky on Shooting and Handling low numbers handy in case you need to refer to it. (it's a good plan to have it printed out somewhere in case you lose internet or the board goes down)

24. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, probably, but you do want to get at least 1 more test in before calling it a night.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sleep deprivation....otherwise known as Feline Diabetes!! ;)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

+8 = 88 ... and I'm off to bed, thanks so much for the support, everyone!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  26. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't about earlier this morning.

Congrats on the reduction. Hope you can get hold of those new syringes soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.