11/21 Tina AMPS 68 +3 70 PMPS 51

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

November 19

Good day everyone - it is so beautiful around here - lots of red trees, mixed with all the fall colors. It is about to cool down again, so it's goodbye to the 70s and all that extra outdoor time. Who am I kidding? I'll be out there freezing, if Tina needs her "big" cage time. She needs a reminder that I spent many hours on her "senior" enclosure . . . :)

Tina is doing very well. This morning, I found her on top of a taller table she hasn't been on in months. There is a smaller table next to it she must have jumped on first. I'm so thankful to this forum for teaching me how to give her the best chance of recovery from neuropathy, and BG control of course. Plus help with every other health concern that has come up. I just haven't thanked everyone enough. Neuropathy will hopefully continue to improve, but if not, she's so much better already. DH saw her sprint past him in the yard yesterday - his first time to see her run!

The plan is to start our OTJ trial after just two more one drop injections - tonight, and in the morning.
    Still can hardly believe we got to this point. When my shock wears off, I'll be very excited!

I have to be gone for a few hours. My daddy:oops: needs prayers. His mind is failing him in terrible ways. Even worse with the pain meds (very light) after his fall. Shoulder and back hurt a lot; pain meds making dementia worse. Embarrassing stuff going on.

Love from me and Tina Marie:):cat:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

So exciting to hear Tina is doing so well. I'm sorry your dad is having problems with the pain meds making things worse. Sending prayers.

Here are the instructions for an OTJ Trail.

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

3. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Goooooooooooooo Tina! She certainly looks ready for her OTJ trial. We are all pulling for her and you. Tell her LT and Ittle are waiting for her at the falls.:woot::p:):bighug:

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Wonderful that Tina is doing so well! :D

Fingers crossed for the OTJ trial
    [​IMG]

5. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

So many things here!
    First, my thought for your dad, so sorry it's happening, please stay strong and patient with him :)
    Then, I am am so excited for your OTJ trial! This is so wonderful, you're almost there.
    Tina was diagnosed in July, but for how long had she been suffering from neuropathy prior to that? How long do you think she had diabetes for?

Winter lights are beautiful and brightening the house as I write this. I love winter!! :bighug:

6. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Love,Light and Healing to your Dad:bighug::bighug::bighug: Excited for you and Tina:):bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Great news about Tina but heartfelt news about your Dad. Sending prayers for your Dad and all of you.

It's an exciting time for Tina and yourself :bighug:

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh Tina! What a time you're having. Such great news about Tina! We all knew she was going to do it!! Can't wait for the countdown to begin! We'll all be there rooting you and Tina on!!!:D

So very sorry to hear about your dad...it's so sad isn't it? My dad died last June 16 from alzheimer's and now my mom is slowly becoming someone I hardly know with her dementia. It's very difficult to see this disease taking them slowly from who they were...to...what? It's hard to say...hard to describe...it's painful for everyone. Sending you warm hugs while you go thru this...:bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you:) I loved being with my dad. He lives 50 miles away right next to my brother & family, who has a new house they are all about to move into. My dad is the main reason I need to retire. Little bro is in over his head is what I believe in my heart.

Tina had a BG of over 500 in February. I failed to get the bloodwork myself; the vet called and said everything was fine :( We learned she had spinal arthritis, and a hip with a collapsed joint space. I kept complaining about her getting worse, and was left believing it was arthritis. In Sept 2018, her glucose was normal. So, the neuropathy started likely started the first part of this year. In July, the vet told me she had diabetes. When I confronted him about her BG in February, he said he thought it could have been stress. I've since let the whole practice know they should have followed up with me with a BG that high; I also will forever get the results emailed to me!

I really hope your baby boy can keep getting better too:)

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  10. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I wish I wasn't so busy. People are already starting to leave for the holidays, so I get busier! Debra, I know you, like so many, deal with really tough similar family situations. And mine is easier than most. Crazily, my sweet dad is taking my mind off the good thing that's happening with Tina!!! I get to be home most of the night -- a downpour just started after another 70s day. "Cool front" coming;) I did get to have a bit of outdoor time with my wonderful precious Tina. She sends Yo kisses.

Oh I'm getting nervous again, silly me. Preshot test in 9 minutes!!

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Hugs right back at you -- it is heartbreaking. Plus today is the anniversary of two major losses, one - my dear grandma just 5 years ago. All the women in my family have had A. I'm always "joking" that I'd be a danger to myself with insulin and A together. Have to laugh instead of cry. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. My mom is headed in that direction too. Just very early.

I am in awe at what is happening with Tina!!! Getting even more nervous - 4 minutes until BG check, Lol!!

12. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you so much Pamela - this place is a blessing to me; not just Tina:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    We iz excited!

13. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you so much and huge hugs for you - life is good:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  14. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Oh thank you so much dear Suzanne and our dear LT too!! I hope your life is a little bit easier now with LT being at the falls! Tina really wants to meet him there soon soon, soon we hope:)

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  15. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Oh dear, why do I semi doubt or panic? I fed her a lower carb food at +8 than normal (2 instead of almost 4%). Since I went auto-pilot, I just now fed her the normal 4%.
    Shoot? Yes, I did.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  16. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

So sorry about your dad! I’m sure it’s heartbreaking to watch the big strong man who you probably thought could do anything turn into someone different. Prayers for both of you!
    So very excited for you and Tina!!! Tina I will be watching you closely! You can do this! Scooter says go Tina!