12/10 Mačka AMPS 321, +4 227 PMPS 314, +4 119, +5 88, +6 91, +8 77, +10 105- PJ party

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-103-6-102-pmps-210-no-greens-but-wow.222715/

Mačka is still down. I don't understand what's going on. Usually, he greets me at the door, comes to the kitchen whenever I go, just to make sure there's food for him... walks around the house. But in the last 3 days, he's been staying in his basket, sleeping. He eats, but will not come to his bowl. He had diarrhea for one day, but poops look normal now. I thought it could be the lower numbers, but today he is not that low anymore (dang).

His eyes and nose are slightly runny. I wonder if he caught something at the vet, when he went for his rabies booster? (5 days ago) I hope it's nothing more serious, not before we take the plane and go to France etc...

2. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

I gave this to Chanel:
    https://www.homeopet.com/product/feline-nose-relief/
    She was having some breathing issues and since the vet ruled out asthma, I was thinking maybe she caught some cold from sitting all day long on the floor. She was also sneezing, not every day, but still there was some sneezing going on and since we cannot say she was allergic to cat hair :))....She was very accepting, just 5 drops 3times/day in some little Fancy Feast and she does not seem to breath that hard now. But it took almost a week to see the results.
    Is he sneezing or coughing?

3. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you Laura! Actually, Macka is diabetic, but the runny nose is very different from his asthmatic symptoms.
    He does not sneeze at all. And no coughing.

I have to see my vet next Monday for a check up before we leave for France. It's a good and a bad thing: she'll be able to assess him if he is still feeling down but, imagine he catches something else!!

I just got home and again, he did not greet me. However, he purred when I approached him in his basket. But he went back to sleeping right away. He had a clear bubble on his nostril. Is this a cold?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like it could be an upper respiratory issue. You may want to call the vet and let them know before Monday. I hope he feels better soon. Sending prayers.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have any l-lysine? It can help the sniffles.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not leave it until next Monday to see the vet, because of your trip to France. If it is something that needs treating, it is better to get it started sooner rather than later
    . You don't want Macka unwell on the plane.

7. Penelope and Mačka

No, where can I buy it? Do you add it to the food?

8. Penelope and Mačka

Yeah, I am debating now. We leave on the 24th, and the 16th was to get his health certificate so he can enter France.
    He is vaccinated against upper respiratory viruses, so I don't understand.

9. Penelope and Mačka

Also wanted to add that his appetite is ok. And I mixed his food with extra water, he is hydrated

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I sure hope it's something simple and your vet can make a quick recommendation :)

11. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

It is a powder that you add to their food on a daily basis. You can get it through your vet. Not sure if you can find it through a pet pharmacy. It is just an amino acid supplement that helps to suppress viruses.

12. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Chanel is also diabetic and unfortunately the vet did not know how to deal with the breathing issue. So, I had to go to Petco and figure out something OTC and she got better. Her eyes were a little too wet for my taste. Now she is fine.
    I will pray for your baby to have a great day at the vet and a fast recovery. But please, take him sooner to the vet.:)

13. Wendy&Neko

L-lysine is available in most places that sell vitamins and supplements. Beans use it for cold sores. You can buy as powder or often as 500mg capsules. Split one for the AM and PM food, it’s tasteless,

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The other thing that may be helpful is to turn the shower on in your bathroom and get the bathroom steamy. Let Macka sit in the steamy room. It can help to break up and congestion.

15. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hope Macka feels better soon! I agree with others, I would call the vet tomorrow since you’re trying to travel.

16. Penelope and Mačka

Before I could read your replies, I went to the pet store and found Lysine bites. I also bought freeze dried treats.

I gave two of each to Macka and he loved it, the problem is, he barfed them all 20 minutes later, so now I don't know which treat made him barf... Hoping it's nothing else. Ahhhhh....

However, as I am writing these lines, he climbed on the sofa and is now purring on my lap, all very happy.... :banghead:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  17. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

I would give one of them tomorrow and wait to see if there is a reaction. If nothing then the following day give the other treat by itself and wait to see if there’s a reaction. If none, then the following day give one treat in the morning and the other treat at night. Hopefully you’ll be able to give both in one day with no adverse reactions!

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Could he have an allergy?
    Clover gets a very watery eye around our spring each year. If left untreated it becomes red and the area above it is swollen and red too.
    If I give her 1/2 Zyrtec each day it goes away. May be worth trying.

19. Penelope and Mačka

That could be. Also, and related, he's having asthma crises at the moment. The weather is rainy, and it happens to him with changes of air (dry>wet and warm>cold). The other thing I am thinking of is, I just put a Turkish rug in the living-room. It was shipped from Turkey, and maybe he's allergic to some Turkish plant? In France he used to have asthma all the time, but in Oregon, it happens very rarely.
    I have Albuterol at hand, but no Zyrtec. I'll ask the vet tomorrow.

20. Sherry and Blackie

Sherry and Blackie Member

Positive healthy vibes for Macka. :bighug:

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It could easily be the case with the Turkish rug. When Clover was living in an apartment (newly built) for a year about 1/2 hour away with my daughter she used to have the problem with her eye all the time. Each time she came to me she would get better. Now she’s here with me all the time she only gets it in spring for a short time.
    Zyrtec 10mg is a human drug you can get over the counter. Cats can have 1/2 tablet (5mg) once a day. You will just have to ask the vet if it interacts with any of Macka other meds.

22. Penelope and Mačka

PM +4 119! Here we go again. Sleeping on the couch. I'll take another test at +5, in an hour :confused:

23. Penelope and Mačka

When should I start giving MC? if under 100?

24. Penelope and Mačka

+5 88. It might not be necessary, but I gave 1 spoon of MC 14%.
    He is dropping about 40 points an hour.

25. Wendy&Neko

I would have done a couple tsps of LC. That can usually get them to surf. The last drop was 30 points, slowing down.

Surf safely Macka. :D

26. Penelope and Mačka

^^; I'm trying to stay calm
    How will I know I can go to bed?

27. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are testing so are in control Penelope.
    You will need to keep testing a bit longer. Let’s see what the BG in the next hour.

28. Penelope and Mačka

That can take 3 hours + :joyful: I don't know what to do with myself right now, I'm walking in circles but falling asleep at the same time. Macka is in his bed by the kitchen window. Very quiet.

29. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Agreed with Bron.

But as to what I do with Ming, I go to bed either when I get a rising number without food (usually 2 hours after food) or if I get a crazy high number which = bounce. But again, that’s with Ming. It also depends where in the cycle I encounter these higher or lower numbers. If it’s before what you believe is Macka’s nadir, I wouldn’t sleep just yet.

30. Penelope and Mačka

Can you go to sleep in between tests? Every hour a little nap?

His nadir is usually at +6 or +7, so that's in 1 and 2 hours. The food will still be effective though, I think. Actually, +6 is now in 15 minutes. I'm losing it.

31. Penelope and Mačka

PM +6= 91. Sooo, he's flat, but this number may also be food influenced. I think I'm going to try to sleep until next test in an hour.

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When I had PJ parties with Sheba which was often as she loved to bounce and dive, I used to go to sleep inbetween every test but I always woke with the alarm.

33. Penelope and Mačka

34. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He’s doing beautifully Penelope.
    How long since he’s eaten?

35. Penelope and Mačka

+8 = 77. Last time he ate was three hours ago.
    i just gave him another spoon of MC

it worries me hat he’s not coming back up yet

36. Penelope and Mačka

Also he’s very hungry. Should I give him more?

37. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s better to give low carb when they are surfing like he is. Reserve the MC and HC for under 50.
    Rejoice in the fact he is finally getting some lovely healing green numbers. Don’t worry that he is still surfing at +8 ... that’s great. Just not great that it is at night and you are awake:D

38. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If he’s hungry and you want to feed him another teaspoon.. make it low carb.

39. Penelope and Mačka

Ok I gave him a spoon of LC.
    Should I test again in 45 minutes? (+9).

in the eventuality his AMPS is green or blue, what should I do? If green, no shoot right? But even if it’s blue, after a night like this? Wouldn’t it be dangerous?

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Test again at +9
    Let’s see what he is at AMPS before deciding.
    I’d get a +11 and then at AMPS you can see if he’s rising still.
    When you get the AMPS post and ask advise. I’m just heading to bed but others will be up.
    Great cycle tonight. Well done Macka and Penelope!

41. Penelope and Mačka

I messed up my alarm and woke up at 5am.
    +10 = 105

Si am cat mom likes this.