12/11 PMPS 419 +1 214 +2 7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sushi, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Sushi

Sushi Member

I'll be testing him all night and I can get a +2 before work. I can do 0.75u just have to figure it out how to measure it out consistently.

It was a bit awkward at the vet office. The vet said she never had a cat on half units, only whole units in her practice. Had a vet tech bring over an insulin syringe that didn't have half unit measurements to show her how much I give. Showed her the picture of the ones I use.

The main reason for the visit was to check his red blood count. Sushi had a blood transfusion when he was hospitalized and thought it could be caused by infection, parasites, or cancer. Sushi gums are nice and pink today. Sushi is now 10.3 lbs.

The other cats are getting dry food. Just have to tell my mom to stop giving it to them and to give it the stray cat.

Last post 12/10

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

To get 0.75 units you need to draw up the insulin half way between the half unit line and the 1 unit line. Using a magnifying glass is helpful.

Most vets increase and decrease in 1 unit increments which is a lot for kitties. For example going from 0.5 to 1 unit is doubling the dose. Vets don’t get a lot of education on feline diabetes so you are probably helping to educate your vet.

It looks like Sushi is having a very active cycle.
    It would be good if you could swap all the cats over to low carb food. Better for their health and easier to manage Sushi if she sneaks food.

Sushi likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’d give him some food with that +5 84 as he has a way to go in the cycle yet

Sushi likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Sushi
    Looks like Sushi is bouncing after the green numbers yesterday. This is normal, especially in a newly diagnosed cat. When he comes off the bounce you will be able to see how the 0.75 units is working for him.
    Any results of the blood tests from the vet yet?

Sushi likes this.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Member

No results yet, but I'm expecting a call later today.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.