12/18/2019 Mowgli AMPS 275 +2.5 268 +3.5 319 +7 214 - Crown Amputation

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Dec 18, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

12/17/2019

Dental day for Mowgli today! He had his insulin, breakfast and we will leave in around 9:30am to drop him off for the day... I think that will be the most stressful for him since his actual cleaning isn't until 1pm... I wonder why you have to drop them off so early? Hopefully he won't need any extractions and the cleaning goes well.

Have a great day :)

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending dental vines.

AmandaE likes this.
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

4. AmandaE

Thanks Carla! I just got back from dropping him off, they said he might need to spend the night, I was like: what about his diabetes! somehow they keep forgetting he's diabetic! She said he didn't realize and that they would try extra hard to have him home tonight :| He will be going in for his dental in 0.5 hrs... I hope it goes well!
    Thanks Joy!! I hope your Wednesday is wonderful too!!

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I have to tell my vet that EVERY SINGLE TIME! They say to me, no breakfast for Luci - drop her off between 7:30 and 8 and we should have her done by end of business... I'm like, well I'm not comfortable with that -she's a diabetic, so you're telling me that she can't have breakfast which means she can't have her insulin - and then I'm not comfortable with her being there all day with no one checking her BG's!

Next thing they say, oh, we'll have her ready to go by 10...now that's better...they do her first apparently - she cannot sit there and wait while they work on other kids...

Sometimes you just gotta speak up...and keep speaking up...they see so many pets and for whatever reason not one person ever seems to be able to write anything down or READ her record - but they can see the appointment info on their computer and they know why she's coming - no mention of her diabetes...it's beyond me...

Keep telling them Amanda! I'm sending dental vetty vines to you today! I hope everything else goes smoothly today and you can pick him up soon :)

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  6. AmandaE

Seriously!! he has literally been there 3 times in the last 1.5 months!! yes I said I wasn't comfortable, I was like: no one told me he might have to stay the night, I was told I could pick him up at the end of the day... and like... what about his insulin... 'oh? he's diabetic?" I mean ... come. on!

I hope I hear from them soon... he should be getting his X-rays right around now... thanks so much for the vet vines :)

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Same for Luci - and it's the same story every time...I've had her there three times since we've been in Florida - first week of November - and they still can't make a note somewhere that she's a diabetic - and her mom won't leave her for more than a few hours - and no she can't come in on an empty stomach...oh well...I'm assertive...and I'm not going to leave her there unless I'm sure they are aware of her diabetes... :)

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  8. AmandaE

The vet just let me know that Mowgli's upper and lower canines have pockets beneath them because they are in the process of being resorbed, they are also showing a small amount of infection. I was so surprised because they are his cleanest looking teeth! She said that because the teeth are already in the process of being resorbed that she is unable to do an extraction and she recommended at the very least we do a crown amputation on his lower k-9s in case they develop further problems down the road because there is less bone to work with on the lower jaw. I decided to go ahead with the lower canine crown amputation and to hold off on the upper canine crown amputation... the vet said she thought this would be a really good path forward too since Mowgli has been eating fine, the upper canines seemed stable, and Mowgli didn't seem to be in pain. She said that with the upper canines being stable that a course of antibiotics combined with a cleaning could give us quite a few more years with his teeth and that they might even resorb fine.

The vet told me that Mowgli was NOT being friendly haha,.. she said they will be removing his IV while he is still partially under... Can't wait to get him home

Hopefully getting rid of his low level infection will help stabilize his numbers a bit more

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Wow! Quite a day for both of you. Look forward to hearing that he is home and all is well.

AmandaE likes this.
  10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Happy to hear the dental is over and hopefully Mowgs will be home soon! Is there anyone who is friendly with dental procedures :nailbiting::stop::p???!!!

AmandaE likes this.
  11. AmandaE

He's home! all is well :);)
    hahaha! so true :woot:!

12. AmandaE

Mowgli's back, they are putting him on metacam for 3 days and a round of antibiotics to fight any remaining infection. Hopefully he won't have to go to the vet again for another year or so :)

13. Sherry and Blackie

Sherry and Blackie Member

Sending prayers for Mowgli.

AmandaE likes this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Mowgli. I'm glad he's home. Sending prayers for a quick recovery.

AmandaE likes this.
  15. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Aww poor sweetie, how's he doing? How are you doing? Thank goodness you brought him in when you did. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

What is causing the Absorption?

17. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Yay! So glad he is home :bighug:! Stressful day! I would have been like :eek:! Shiny new mouth for Christmas :D!

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m really glad all went well and he’s home.

Sorry I didn’t get back round last night but you might want to read this post on Reductions (this is for TR). Pls let me know if you have questions.

AmandaE likes this.
  19. AmandaE

Thanks a lot for the prayers, I hope he has a quick recovery too :)
    He’s really doing fine, he’s a little dopey and I think a little like WTH Happened to me today... where are my teeth? But otherwise he’s doing well :) I’m glad it didn’t turn into something worse!!
    The vet said it is really common, the bone from the jaw slowly starts to replace the tooth and turn it into bone, in the process the tooth leaves behind a void which can host infectious bacteria which is what was happening with Mowg. She could see it really easily with the X-ray and showed me exactly what it looked like. I could see exactly what she was talking to me about... you could see the root for all his other teeth but his k-9s didn’t show any root... it just looked like the bone phased into the tooth. Bizarre.
    Merry Christmas to Mowg!! I think that’s exactly whT he wrote to Santa for ;) :p

20. AmandaE

Thanks Marje it is definitely helpful! I think I’ll just be a little more needy when it comes to identifying failed reductions... Next time I’ll have to ask instead of trying myself :rolleyes:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  21. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You both have had quite the day. May tonight be simple.

AmandaE likes this.
  22. AmandaE

I think it was worse for Mowgli than me for sure. I feel so bad for them that they are stuck in such a stressful place before being put under. Hopefully you’re wishes for simplicity come true and he has an easy night tonight :)

thanks for the well wishes :)

23. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I hope he and you spend a good night :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad all went well and Mowgli is safely home with you again.
    I am really surprised that the vet needs reminding that Mowgli is a diabetic...... that is basic stuff and not something that should be forgotten.. diabetic cats having operations should get priority in the line up of cases.

AmandaE likes this.
  25. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hope Mowgli had a restful night and that everything is ok.
    Have a good day Amanda!!

AmandaE likes this.
  26. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Perfect. We will be glad to help but more important is that you reduce by 0.25u for numbers below 40. ;)

AmandaE likes this.