12/19 Boomer AMBG 103 PMBG 104, photo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    I was very nervous to test him this morning and was willing to shoot if I felt the number warranted it. But AMBG 103. I'm ok with that! Hoping for green tomorrow (will try to not test today lol).

Boomer didn't eat anything overnight. He ate a bit this morning while I held his dish for him. I've given cerenia and bupre. and will give mirtazapine in about 45 minutes.

Dr Larry wants to stick with the cerenia every other day.

Thank you to everyone who has sent vines, prayers, good wishes, and given advice, suggestions, stories, and hugs! I appreciate them all so very much!

Today's photo is a White-Breasted Nuthatch, taken a few days ago.

Attached Files:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice number this morning. I hope Boomer will eat for you today. Sending prayers. Great picture.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Good morning!! I’m glad Boomer is starting off with a nice number. Hopefully he’ll feel better and surf nicely for you today. Sending speedy healing vines!!

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending appy vines to Boomer, come on eat for mom
    Have a great day Judy

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Judy :bighug: Continued prayers for Boomer to walk the straight and insulin-less path ❤️

6. Judy and Boomer

Forgot to mention that DH has an oncologist appt this afternoon, has to go for b/w beforehand.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Caught up on yesterday, so is this Day 1 ?????

The FF kitten food I think is 8% so it's not bad, I don't know the phos though.

8. Judy and Boomer

There's a FF kitten food? I've never seen it. The kitten food he was eating was purrfect bistro but we did pick up two others yesterday as well.

9. Judy and Boomer

Gave mirtz. at 8:00 and it's almost 9:00, I took some food to him (he's currently laying on his desk, as per normal routine) but he's not interested. An hour since mirtz, he should be getting interested by now.

It doesn't seem that the IV fluids yesterday have made him feel any different so perhaps Dr Larry is right and there is something else going on. :(

10. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Best of luck Judy, I know I would have a hard time not testing. Too many "what if's" I hope Boomer will eat for you today.

Have a great day!

11. Olive & Paula

12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  13. Judy and Boomer

14. Red & Rover (GA)

According to Petsmart's website, the case is in stock (or low stock) at all their stores in your area. I had problems in the past with what they said was in stock.

15. Judy and Boomer

Well I gave cerenia and bupre. at 7:00 am and mirtz. at 8:00 am and it's now 10:00 and he's showing no signs of hunger. I did get him to eat a few pieces of chicken but that's it.
    I was expecting that the IV fluids would make him feel better rather quickly.....am I expecting too much? It certainly hasn't helped his appetite so far. Is this telling me that it's not the pancreatitis that's bothering him?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm sorry his appy is still on the fritz. It's hard to say if it's pancreatitis or something else. Fluids are one tool that help with treating p-titis, but I don't think they would produce instant results. Rather, it's the combination of tools (anti-nausea, pain meds, fluids, appy stimulants) to help with symptoms combined with time that help with p-titis. I would get the script for cypro from Dr Larry, and also ondansetron. The cerenia and mirtz just might not be the right combo for getting him back on track, if p-titis is the issue. Further testing is also probably a good idea at this point.

Many vines and prayers.....:bighug::bighug::bighug:....

17. Judy and Boomer

I've syringed some liver shake into him.
    Called Dr Larry and spoke with vet ass't. Told her I was putting details in an email and sending it to Dr Larry.

18. Judy and Boomer

He got up wandered around, was hoping he would eat. Used the litter then jumped up on our bed. So I got some fresh food and placed it in front of him and he did have a few bites.
    And I noticed earlier when he was standing that he was shaking a bit. I thought I had seen that before today but wasn't sure. But I noticed it seemed to be coming from his right front leg; I lifted the leg up and sure enough the shaking stopped. And of course that was his IV leg.

19. Amy&TrixieCat

Hopefully the shaking is just from the IV. Poor Boomer....and you :bighug::bighug::bighug:.

20. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

What has the Vet said might be wrong? Would subQ fluids help? I sure hope he feels better soon.
    upload_2019-12-19_11-35-7.jpeg

21. Red & Rover (GA)

Judy, are you keeping a log of exactly what Boomer eats? and are you weighing him? Going with glass half full, maybe he's eating more than you think.

22. Judy and Boomer

The vet believes that there is something other than the pancreatitis going on.
    Boomer spent the day at the vet's yesterday on IV fluids and got 305 ml. So dehydration is definitely not an issue today.

23. Judy and Boomer

I am weighing him a couple of times each week.
    No, no food log. I know I've gone through a lot of food but most of it is being thrown out. I keep giving him fresh stuff and different stuff hoping something will tempt him to eat.
    He does nibble on food occasionally but it's a plate of food I'm taking to him....he is not making any attempt to go to his normal eating spot.

24. Judy and Boomer

Wow I've passed two of his regular testing times, my reminder alarms rang, and I haven't tested. :smuggrin:
    Boomer has been in the litter two or three times but there's nothing in there. Well....a couple of very tiny poops but they could have been leftover from previous poops that DH missed scooping. So no poop in over 24 hours which I'm sure isn't helping him to feel better.

I've emailed Dr Larry with what's been going on, told him about the shaky leg, and also told him to go ahead and schedule the ultrasound.

25. Judy and Boomer

I gave him about 6 ml liver shake. DH and I are leaving for DH's appt shortly and will likely be gone a couple of hours.

26. Olive & Paula

Good luck with DH appt. Good idea to get u/s if something is suspected. Good luck there also.

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Vines and prayers for DH's appointment, too...

28. Judy and Boomer

We were gone for a bit over 2 hours and unfortunately he didn't eat when we were away. But I offered him some food when we got back and he came right out of his hidey-hole and ate a bit of it.
    And he just had a very wet poop.

29. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was a little constipated and the fluids helped him to pass it.

30. Judy and Boomer

I asked Dr Larry about antibiotics..... @Amy&TrixieCat indicated that her vet said about 50% of pancreatic issues were caused by infection. He has no problem giving antibiotics but did warn us that they sometimes mess with the appetite:rolleyes:. I've also asked for a script for cyproheptadine. I'm planning on giving mirtazapine tomorrow morning again (waiting for confirmation from Larry that I can give 2 days in a row) and if the mirtz. doesn't work tomorrow I will try cypro.

I gave him another 2-4 ml of liver shake. And he ate some chicken pieces right afterwards.

31. Judy and Boomer

Maybe. But he did have a good poop the day before yesterday.....biggest one he's had in quite a while according to DH.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  32. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Amy. The appt went ok but the doctor's assistant had told DH that the b/w could be done right before the appt. Well...the lab was backed up so of course the Dr did not get all the results prior to the appt. DH will call tomorrow

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  33. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that Boomer is still not quite back to his usual self. I sure hope he improves overall - gets that appetite back and gets back on the mend.

Beautiful bird photo - so clear you can see the layers of bark on that tree! Impressive!

Have a good evening Judy! Sending you more hugs - hope all goes well at the Oncologists for DH too!

34. Judy and Boomer

Decided to test 2x per day until he is feeling better....have to make sure levels don't go up because with the lack of insulin and the inappetence there is a threat of ketones.
    PMBG 104
    I offered him purrfect bistro kitten food. Not interested. I put some fortiflora on it. Not interested. I got out a new food, Friskies Cat Concoctions (salmon and chicken liver) and he did eat a few bites.

35. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes when they have an inflamed GIT they have a poor appetite. Maybe a little metronidazole??

36. Judy and Boomer

I'm picking up an antibiotic from Dr Larry tomorrow. Not sure which one.

37. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Judy,
    Sorry to hear Boomer is not feeling very well. It's good that he's still eating a tiny amount though. And wonderful news about him being off insulin!! Congrats!
    Sending healing vines!
    Laura and Gremlin.

38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending appy vines for Boomer. This for you Judy. :bighug::bighug:

Great pic, love the detail.

39. Judy and Boomer

Tried the Cat Concoctions again and he had a few bites. Then gave him a supplementary liver shake, about 5 ml.

I finally looked at the entire directions for the liver shake (because I had no idea what quantity to give him) and it says 10 ml 4-6 times a day.

So....if he eats a bit then I supplement with around 5 ml
    If he doesn't eat, I will give the 10 ml

40. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Wendy! I really need those hugs!

41. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh Judy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I can't find what I am looking for but maybe put it in your subject line tomorrow. I think I remember you need to wait between the two meds (Mirtz & Cypro).

Also, here is the link for all things appy enhancers on Tanya's site. Strangely it doesn't have cypro listed but I swear it used to be.
    http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Have you tried scrambled eggs?

42. Judy and Boomer

Around 10:00 pm he ate some more Cat Concoctions and then i gave 5-6 ml liver shake

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  43. Judy and Boomer

Yes, I was assuming I'd have to wait between mirtz and cypro; I was going to ask here tomorrow! Scrambled eggs? No, never thought of it. Maybe tomorrow. He is eating little bits now and with a bit more enthusiasm. Hopefully it will continue to improve tomorrow. Thanks for the link; I will definitely read tomorrow!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  44. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Rusty liked it.
    I hope Boomer will feel better very soon. Eat yer fuds, Deputy Boomer. A guy's gotta eat to keep up his strength.
    I hope the liver shake is to his taste.
    Sending vines and scritches.

Best of luck with your DH's b/w and appointment. :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you all.

Sonia & Leo and Judy and Boomer like this.