12/22/2019 Mowgli AMPS 173 +5 140 +8 117 PMPS 112 +1.5 79 +2.5 41 +3 50 +3.5 40

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Dec 22, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

12/20/2019

Good Afternoon!

Mowgli has been doing alright but I think it might be time for an increase. I think I would like to just do a half unit increase to 1u BID to kind of push Mowgli's numbers down a little bit... I want to do it this way because Mowgli seems to have an 'ideal dose' hidden somewhere between 1u and 0.75u. I find that when I push his dose up too far he builds a strong depot then we have to do a set of quick decreases which probably has us missing his ideal dose.

What do you guys think? should I nudge up his dose or should I do the full 0.25u?

Otherwise Mowgli has been doing really really well! His swelling has gone down, he's taking his antibiotics really well and he haven't had too bad of numbers, Tonight will be his last dose of Metacam.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday, we are just having a nice lunch and then venturing into town to wrap up our Christmas shopping... wish us luck ;)

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda. Glad to here that Mowgli is doing awesome. It's such a relief when they are feeling better! He's so handsome!

Question for you... didn't Mowgli earn a reduction on Dec. 17 with that 2.2 - I'm still learning by looking at other's spreadsheet so just wondering if I'm missing something?

AmandaE likes this.
  3. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck out there in the wild! Maybe pack a lunch and take extra blankets in case you get stranded, and of course, have a wonderful day!

AmandaE likes this.
  4. AmandaE

You aren't missing something, I follow a strategy where I let Mowgli have 3 events below 50 (2.8) before I reduce, this is because I find the depot of the previous dose that earned him a reduction in the first place affects the front end of his newly decreased doses action, which results in a set of rapid decreases which typically fail, and then I need to wait to build him back up to a good dose again. I personally considered the 49s (2.7s) on the day before the 18th as one event and a result from the 1u depot. I have a lot of data that leads me to follow that strategy, so if I was just starting out I would have definitely reduced with the 40(2.2)... does that make sense?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Reason for edit: sp
    Judy and Freckles likes this.
  5. AmandaE

HAAHAHA!! Thanks for the advice! I will take it!! Have an awesome day Sandra!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How much can you monitor in the next few days? Since he got to 31 on 1.0 recently, I would hesitate to go above that. And I would try to catch any big drops at +2 and give him a bit higher carbs so he can stay on that dose a little longer.

AmandaE likes this.
  7. AmandaE

I would say I won't really be able to monitor closely during the daytime until the 25th, do you think I should wait until then? I will be at home starting the 25th and then ill be home until the 2nd

8. Wendy&Neko

You did see a 61 yesterday. What do you think?

AmandaE likes this.
  9. AmandaE

I'll wait and see what happens in the next couple days, He usually is lower at night, which I am able to monitor but these blue surfs during the day had me kind of thinking it could be time to nudge him lower. I'll hold for the next couple days.

Ive picked up a couple of 6% carb and 8% carb options for Mowgli to try. Should I wait until +2 to slow the drop or start him off with it right at shot time?

10. Wendy&Neko

Carbs take about 20-30 minutes from the plate to the blood stream. You want them on board when he onsets, so about 1/2 hour before that.

AmandaE likes this.
  11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Mowgli is doing better and his swelling has gone down.

AmandaE likes this.
  12. AmandaE

+1.5 79 fed 2 tbsp MC; +2.5 41 fed 1 tbsp HC gravy, decrease tomorrow

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

The thought of a nudge did the trick, Amanda.

AmandaE likes this.
  14. AmandaE

LOL All I have to THINK it hahaha I guess I doubled down with actually mentioning it out loud :p

15. Wendy&Neko

Swelling/inflammation can raise BGs. Looks like you are seeing what happens when it goes away. :D

16. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Congrats with the reduction!!!:D:DGlad Mowgli is feeling so much better:)