12/24 Quintus +11=63 +11.5=58 down to 49, ate well, slowly coming up, sticking with NS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Steph & Quintus & L & O, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...8-5-373-10-75-437-pmps-11-5-490-1-439.188463/

Quintus didn't eat well yesterday. Left a lot of his food in the morning, and also at night. This is usually a sign that something is afoot (he always has a good appetite). He has a mild eye ulcer that we went to the vet for yesterday midday. He's got antibiotic drops + vitamin A cream for that.

We stopped marbocyl a week ago. His convenia shot is possibly wearing off (something I've observed in the past) and the next one will be day after tomorrow.

During the night he felt very warm (but I've been having personal thermostat issues = night sweats too so it's hard to say). I don't have a thermometer to check his temperature (will buy one).

He just had a liquid poop, the kind he got when he was switched to the wet food too brutally. This tells me he probably ate mainly the LC wet food and not the HC kibble from his LC/HC food mix.

Now for the dosing: I've taken away his food and got a +11=63 after the +8=95 I got in the middle of the night.

I am thinking it might not be a great moment now to advance the time of the next dose. I'm also thinking I'm going to make extra sure he eats his food well (and if he doesn't seem better this might warrant a new trip to the vet today).

I don't know if I should change the dose or not, given that this low seems clearly due to him not eating enough.

Advice? Opinions? Thanks! (I have 45 minutes to go before "normal +12 shot time".

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A 63 on the AlphaTrak is a reduction in dose.....with him not eating normally on top of that, I might suggest dropping the dose a little more than .25 for today (like maybe do a 1.5U)

Better safe than sorry.....especially if you have any plans for the holiday

Usually he would have earned a reduction down to 2U, but only if he's eating pretty normally

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Yes, that's why I'm wondering about the dose reduction. So you'd reduce considering he might continue not eating normally today (which is wise). I am taking him to the chalet this afternoon for Christmas Eve, we're sleeping up there, and coming down tomorrow. It is possible it will mess with his appetite on its own, independently of him possibly being sick.

He's familiar with the chalet and OK there, but a pile of people (including small children) he is not used to will be there.

4. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Hmmm he's down to 58 half an hour later. Should I think of getting some food in him maybe?

5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Tested fifteen minutes later, same number. Giving him half of his usually shot ration, given he's not eating it all anyway, will give me a better view of what he is eating and prevent what's leftover from spoiling too much.

Going to see how well he eats it first.

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That's a tricky one. Given that he seems to still be coming down and he's not eating well, where can you go from there? I'd be afraid even a reduced dose he would keep dropping, especially without the food. Might not hurt to stall and see if you can get food in him before proceeding. I know it sucks to skip shots, but until you have a ton of data of what he does in situations like this, it's hard to make a call.

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He has eaten a good half of his "half dose", which is a reasonable portion for "first meal of the day".

So I'm thinking that a reduced dose should be OK, particularly if I feed him again in a couple of hours.

8. Steph & Quintus & L & O

+12.25 50
    Maybe time to get something sweet into him?

9. Stacy & Asia

Yes, I would

10. Stacy & Asia

Also, if you fed him 20 minutes ago, it may not show up just yet, for Asia it's 20-30 minutes, ECID

11. Chris & China (GA)

I think you will probably need to just skip today's shot.....enjoy your holiday and get back on track after he's eating better

You'd still reduce to 2U when you DO shoot next

It can take 20-30 minutes for food to get into the system, so I'd give him a few more minutes, but if you're not shooting today, it won't be as important (although you'll still want to test again to make sure he IS coming up)

12. Stacy & Asia

The problem with a reduced dose is this cycle just might play out like you gave him the larger dose anyway because of the depot. I did a few BCS doses and you can see on my SS that it didn't make much of a difference. :p Look at 11/01 pm cycle. If you are around to feed him and keep his numbers up, it's fine if you do, but it could be effortless or a lot of work.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  13. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He's eating the rest of his "half-breakfast". Going to test him in 5 minutes.

14. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Well, this morning I actually need to clean the flat, wrap a lot of presents, get ready for heading up to the chalet, drive there, and then get swept up in family stuff :)

So I'll be with Quintus but can't really give him all my attention... (not "a quiet day at home").

Plus, I have my own digestive issues (similar to Quintus's it seems!) still plaguing me... :-(

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He licked the plate clean! Going to prepare the next one.

LizzieInTexas and Stacy & Asia like this.
  16. Chris & China (GA)

I just wanted to let you know that I have to get off the computer for tonight.

I don't know how long @Stacy & Asia will be here

Being the holidays, the board is pretty quiet

I'd just skip today...test again in 30 minutes and again in an hour or so and as long as he's good, you can probably relax and enjoy your Christmas Eve day

17. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Still sliding slowly down (2.7, last reading was 2.8).

18. Stacy & Asia

Then skipping seems like your safest bet, he'll recover from it, and you'll be able to get your stuff done without worrying over him all day.

19. Steph & Quintus & L & O

@Chris & China thanks

I also think I'll skip. He's eating the next plate, I dribbled a tiny bit of honey on it (he got his tongue in it) to help with the immediate numbers.

20. Stacy & Asia

I'll be up for another 30 minutes, unless Asia drops again, then I will be up forever

21. Steph & Quintus & L & O

81, he's on his way up!

Now... Given he's eaten really well (three quarters of his normal daytime food allowance), I could imagine shooting, right?
    2ui? 1.5ui? shoot low to stay low, right? :D

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How late would the shot be if you shot now? That 81 could also be influenced by honey. You don't want to shoot a number that is higher than 68 only by virtue of the carbs. Cause then the carbs wear off and the Lantus kicks in with him low.

23. Steph & Quintus & L & O

True. If I shot now (in 10 minutes) I'd be 90 minutes late as per yesterday night's shot time, which was 30 minutes early as per last night's shot time, which was 2 hours late as per the morning's shot time. (Timings: Friday 6.30am 8.30pm Saturday 8.30am 8.00pm Today would be 9.30am)
    I didn't put much honey in there, but I have no idea how it might influence his numbers.

24. Wendy&Neko

I think all signs are pointing to a skip.

25. Steph & Quintus & L & O

How long does honey-high last?

26. Wendy&Neko

Honey can last up to two hours. Maybe a bit less. I never used it, but did use corn syrup with was just a bit under two hours in my cat.

27. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Oh! If I skip this morning, could I imagine shooting "early" tonight, around 7pm or 7.30, to get "back on schedule"? Ideally I'd like to be shooting at 7.00 or 7.30 for the next week or so.

28. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Ah, indeed. Yeah, probably wiser to skip *sigh*

29. Wendy&Neko

Yes if you skip this morning you can shoot at whatever time you want tonight, so effectively get back on schedule in one go.

30. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Now that's a winning argument :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  31. Steph & Quintus & L & O

And I'll lower the dose to 2ui (which is good as somebody else than me will be shooting tomorrow PM, easier to measure).

32. Steph & Quintus & L & O

94 @13.5 -- he isn't exactly soaring up. OK, I rest my case, stick to NS, test him again in 30 to make sure he's still going up, and then an hour after that, and if he's still going up, I can stop poking him for a bit. Sound good?

Tonight I'll shoot 2ui at whatever time fits best for the future.

33. Wendy&Neko

With him over 90, you could wait an hour if you want, before testing again.

Nice to be back on the syringe line again. :)

34. Steph & Quintus & L & O

OK, I'll let him rest and digest then!

Better than the syringe line, with 2ui I can actually use the pen needle (yes I know), which will make giving my stepmom instructions for the injections much simpler :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  35. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad he came up for you. Those numbers are scary on the alphatrack. Hope he behaves so that you can enjoy the holidays. Congrats on the reducie!

36. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Quintus was off his food. Sound like he's feeling better as the day progresses. Hope you have a great holiday with family!

37. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Thanks! We’re at the chalet, he ate again, looks generally ok and his BG is « nice and high » — shot time in an hour!

38. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Nice! :D A chalet in Switzerland - what a beautiful way to spend Christmas. Post us a picture if you can - you know, for us peeps stuck in sunny (albeit cool) Texas that are dreaming of mountains and snow :smuggrin:.

Hope Quintus behaves for you and you have a marvelous holiday :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.