12/31 Champ AMPS 532, +3 336, +9 214, PMPS 314, #3 371

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patty & Champ, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Yesterday

So Champ had a good night. He ate a bit on his own and drank water all on his own. He actually pooped a small amount this morning!! Yay!! I haven't been able to catch him peeing in order to check ketones, but I'll be as vigilant as possible. He started R last night, but it didn't do much. Honestly, though, 0.1 is such a small amount that, really, who knows exactly how much was in that syringe. I gave him the same amount this morning and I upped his insulin dose by .25. Even though he had only been on 1.5 for one day, his numbers are so high, and I'll be testing him regularly, I went ahead and increased. Since I've been at this for almost seven years with Champers, I'm very familiar with his "tells" when he's heading downward. At least I know he'll eat if he does go low, but since he's starting at 532, I doubt I'll have to worry. He's surprised me before, though, so I'll stay on my toes. I gave him one syringe of food and then let him eat a bit on his own. I had a bit of leftover prime rib and he gobbled that right up.

There's a note on his SS about a diffuser I received for Christmas and had been using. I've since found out that essential oils are toxic to cats so I'm concerned that's the cause for all this because his numbers skyrocketed right after I started using the diffuse. Anyone know if this is the case and, if so, how long it will take before the effects wear off, if they will wear off? I hope I haven't done him any permanent damage.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Reason for edit: add yesterday's condo
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Patty.. to link yesterday’s condo, copy the browser address from it, come back to your post above and hit “edit at the bottom”. Put the cursor at the top of the text box and then type “Yesterday” or whatever title you want and highlight it. Then click on the hyperlink icon(looks like a paperclip) above the text box. Paste the copied browser address in the box and click “insert”.

I know you’ve been at this a long time and you know Champ but increasing the dose so soon based on the PS isn’t a good idea. Lantus will not yank down those high numbers and that’s why you are using R. You might have found that he needs more Lantus and we might also find that he needs more R. But....I’d highly urge you to stick to the protocol.

Remember that you can increase every six cycles by 0.5u if his nadirs remain over 300. If nadirs are red and black, you are experienced enough to increase by 0.25u every four cycles. Let’s give the R a chance to work, though. :)

I’m thrilled he is eating.

3. Patty & Champ

Ugh.... okay. I've always been very impatient about this dance. Got your patience pants available? His last number is killing me, just killing me. Will I be able to give him more R during this cycle?

4. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Not all, but some. And probably not to the extent that diffusing some in one's living space will immediately do huge damage (or my neighbour's cats would all be long dead). Which essential oil (or mix) was it? Try googling it with "cat" and see if anything interesting comes up.

5. Patty & Champ

Thank you!!!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Patty & Champ

It's called "clear the air" and is a mix of peppermint, eucalyptus, Hyssop, and rosemary. I did google it and did read it was toxic to cats, though my daughter's cat isn't affected by it (she runs it in the evenings when she gets home from work, in her living/dining/kitchen area). However, I ran mine in a 12x12 room that I use as my office in my home (I've work from home for the past 26 years) and I ran it constantly while I was in there, usually 12 hours, but once overnight by accident. I'm going to do some more research to get more info.

7. Marje and Gracie

Deep breath...food spike. Let’s see what he’s doing this cycle. If he stays high, you could give it around +9 or +10 so maybe he will have a lower Lantus PMPS.

In the US, I am only familiar with a couple lines of essential oils that are specifically made to not affect cats. IMHO, it isn’t worth the risk. My vet, who is amazing, told me they’ve had cats come in with very elevated liver values after essential oils were used in a room. It isn’t worth it to me.

Patty....I doubt the oils are causing the BG increase but I’d just discontinue them if it were me and continue to observe him.

8. Patty & Champ

Okie doke, I'll let the insulin do its job and I'm not using a diffuser ever again!!

I'm so glad today is Sunday...FOOTBALL!!! I know the Cowboys are out of the running, but I'd still like to see them stomp the Eagles. And, really, any football is good football!!

9. Marje and Gracie

And sorry....I tossed all my patience pants!!!! :p

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I stand corrected!

11. Patty & Champ

My daughter’s cat hasn’t had any ill effects either, just like your neighbor. Maybe the size of the room and, therefore, the concentration of the essential oils in the room make a difference. And I used twice as much as it said to use on the bottle because I liked the smell. Nothing like killing your baby so your office smells good

12. Patty & Champ

Oh, darn. I loved those yellow skin tight ones that floated around so much.

13. Patty & Champ

Much better number!!

14. Marje and Gracie

Well, for you, I will root around and see if I kept those. They were very sexy.

Much better but a little bit bigger drop than we want to see but he also should be onsetting from Lantus. Let’s see how low it takes him and whether the Lantus can grab on.

15. Patty & Champ

Another 100 down. I’ll keep checking him every hour until he has two rising numbers in a row.

16. Marje and Gracie

Once you see he’s rising, you can give him a break until his normal Lantus nadir.

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Just for you Patty:

[​IMG]

18. Marje and Gracie

Thank you, Wendy!!! I was even searching the old board!

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  19. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see Champ had a good night...prayers that the trend continues!

I agree with Marje about discontinuing the oils. I started to get into it, bought a diffuser, and before actually using it decided to do some research (duh...you'd think after all this time I'd know to research before buying!). Some oils are supposedly OK (I do know specifically peppermint is NOT), but like Marje said, it's not worth the risk (even ones that are market for pets), because - as we know - ECID. So my diffuser sits unused in the basement....tossed the packaging before I woke up and researched. Oh well!

Prayers for continued recovery!!

20. Patty & Champ

Thank you, Wendy!!! They look as great as I remember!!

21. Patty & Champ

I fell asleep and missed +4 and +5. Crap!! I missed important information!,

22. Wendy&Neko

Nice to see Champ likes yellow now too. :)

23. Marje and Gracie

What a nice sunny number!

24. Patty & Champ

And he’s nice and flat right now.

25. Marje and Gracie

I would not shoot R again before PMPS unless he skyrockets at +11, if it were me.

26. Wendy&Neko

Agreed with Marje. Learning when not to shoot R is the trickiest part of using R.

OK Champ, blue floor is next.

27. Marje and Gracie

Just checking in. Also, I noticed you didn’t add that you shot R in the U cell this morning.

28. Patty & Champ

I thought I had...hmmm. I’ll give it a look. So, I shot Champ about 50 minutes ago, 1.5 units cuz I have my sexy yellow patience pants on. I gave him 24 ml of liquified food and some leftover prime rib. I’ll let him do some nibbling on his own, on some actual cat food, later on. The prime rib is the only food he eats with enthusiasm. I’m not sure if I should shoot the R or not. Advice wanted!

29. Marje and Gracie

Uhh....maybe you did and I just didn’t see it. Sorry if you had it in there. Some days how my mind works is God’s own mystery!

Also sorry to just see this......I recorded a ton of sappy Hallmark movies last weekend and am trying to finish them off before Mike gets home.

With a 314 at PMPS, yes, I would have given more R. You are likely coming up on +3 now so I wouldn’t give it or you risk the nadirs getting too close. If he’s high in the morning, you can give it again or if you are a really early riser and you are up by his +10 and he’s still in high yellow or pink, you could give it then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.