? 12/7 Yum split large doses into 2 shots+no response to dose increases

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJW, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum is at 6 units a shot. Should I split that into two 3unit shots to get better behavior from the depot?

Her increase to 6 units looks just as disappointing or more so than her increase to 5.5 units.
    They both showed promise with pinks in the first cycle, then they both showed an anomalous jump to black shortly after the second shot. That's an odd pattern I've never seen before.

Her 3rd cycle at 6units looks awful at AMPS+3.
    Does anyone think she is bouncing?

She is active and happy. At least that.

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I have never heard of doing this. Curious what experienced peeps say.

Sorry Yum isn't responding. I think you will find her dose and see good numbers :bighug:
    Yes. That is important. Remember she is more than her numbers.

MJW likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Some higher dose human diabetics will split their dose and shoot into two different areas. According to this article it may provide better absorption with two different sites.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749825

I am not sure if 6 units would be considered a large dose. I shot 6 units at one point with my Tuxie (GA) and only used one injection site. Even the very high kitties are usually doing just one shot. Interesting idea though, but I can't find any studies done with kitties on using this method.

MJW likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cycle 2-3 are often when NDW shows up, maybe that's what you are seeing now.

As for spiltting shots, some higher high dose kitty parents have done that and some saw better response. Some didn't and went back to one syringe so less pokes. On my time here, can't say I have seen a dramatic difference when caregivers have split the dose, but the sample size is limited. Some have to split when they get over 30 units. Like Mary Ann, I wouldn't consider 6 units to be a really high dose worth doing the experiment at yet. Howeve, it is high enough that at some point you may want to consider a switch to Levemir. If Yum tests positive for IAA, you can see a strong reaction to the insulin change. Again ECID, not always. But many kitties seem to notice a sting at higher Lantus doses.

MJW likes this.
  5. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

The idea of spitting doses into 2 shots came to me when I read the depot sticky.
    "The variability in absorption is increased and net absorption is decreased with increasing size (number of units) injected."
    I was thinking that might mean physical size of the depot and not just total dose size.
    I'm not really sure what they mean by "absorption" in the sticky. I guess it means circulating insulin.
    Hmmm. I might experiment with it.

6. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I think , depending on where you give the shot and other factors, absorption of the insulin varies.

MJW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.