19 Nov | Girlie AMPS 544; +7=365; PMPS 562 Awful numbers; nausea/no appy

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-4-259-tips-on-pureeing-creating-pate.186830/

Looks like she's still bouncing, poor thing. Also had nausea yesterday and still today. Gave 1/4 wafer Ondansetron (how do you get it ON their tongue?); then at am+11 1/4 tablet Cerenia. Then foolishly let her into the garden where she promptly ate grass and vomited - yay! Gave her another 1/4 tablet Cerenia this morning. She just wasn't keen on eating last night or today so far, poor thing.

Nights are tricky anyway re: food in general, because she'd rather sleep than eat. That's a challenge that I'll just have to figure a workaround for somehow.

Should you not give Ondansetron and Mirtazapine at the same time? I think it's okay, though, to give Ondanstron and Cerenia at the same time - is that right?

Flat out (busy) trying to do job search and household stuff. Hope all kitties surf safely and steadily tonight!

2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Girlie's not feeling well. :( Good luck on your job search, and I hope you get a chance to catch your breath soon! :)

Girlie's mom likes this.
  3. Girlie's mom

Unlikely, but I live in hope... So glad to see Miss Maggie doing her usual beautiful blue and green thing. Even if she's not OTJ - and I imagine it must be so frustrating to be so close but not quite there - it's a wonderful SS. I'd be over the moon if I had it! LOL :)

4. Girlie's mom

Solid black so far, and usually the Levemir kicks in at +4; but she's not keen on eating and I think she's still nauseated...poor Girlie...

I'm going to have to try to convince the vet to let me have some of the Humulin or Novolin/R...

AMPS 30.2
    +3= 581
    +4 = 580

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I believe you want to give the anti nausea first, then after a period of time (not sure how long) you give the Mirtazapine,(appy stimulant), as you want to give the nausea meds time to work, and avoid stimulating the appy while they are still nauseated.
    Don't know about the. Cerinia and Ondanstron.

I haven't used any of the no w, it's only what I remember reading here. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will stop by.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  6. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with her SS! :D But you're right, I'm impatient for OTJ... but I want it to be successful, so I'm willing to do what it takes. We always want a little more than we have, it seems. ;)

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Have your tried 1/4 tsp of Slippery Elm Bark mixed with 1/2 tsp of Georges's Aloe Vera Juice? Mix it up and offer it. If she won't eat it off your finger, you might have to syringe it into her. ( you might have to add some water to it to make it syringable , is that a word?)) It will help with the nausea and help to heal the GI tract.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sorry Girlie is queasy. I wish there was a clear reason why she insists on doing the rainbow dives, I know you must be frustrated, even still, I think the Lev looks like a better fit for her. Good luck with the job search. Come down now, Girlie, and stay that way for awhile, please?

Girlie's mom likes this.
  9. Girlie's mom

Rainbow dives - what a lovely way to express it, Stacy! It's tricky to try to steer her when she starts out in high blacks...sigh... poor thing; this can't feel good for her to be going up and down like that.
    But I agree: the Lev is way better for her so far. We'll see if she can just even out. If she's going to do these long patches of high numbers, though, part of me does wish she'd do them at night! But then if she dove to low greens, I'd be worried at work, so you can't win, eh? Not yet, at least... :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, cerenia and ondansetron can be given together, although I would try one first to see if it works and then try the other.
    I am not surprised Girlie is bouncing. She did some big dives yesterday morning. Are you feeding the curve on the Lev?

Girlie's mom likes this.
  11. Stacy & Asia

I know it will never happen in a million years, but it makes me wonder how different things would be for them with an insulin matched for cats. They are doing the best they can with something not made for them, bovine and porcine isn't made for them either (even if it is closer to what their bodies can use). I still think she needs some time to sort out the Lev, but I hope it will quell these dramatic bounces and dives eventually.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  12. Girlie's mom

I haven't tried it yet; I have to find some - not sure which is the right kind here in Oz. Unless it tastes like Liverwurst or vitamin E, I somehow doubt she'll eat it off my finger, but you never know!

I want to try to be cautious, as well, about introducing too many new things at once as I want to be able to figure out what's responsible if I get a negative reaction to something. Is all SEB equal? Do brands make a difference?

13. Girlie's mom

Yes, I'm trying to. I'm putting that info with the percentages on the US SS tab, for the most part. It's tricky, isn't it, though, because if she starts in such high blacks, then she almost has to do big dives to get down to decent numbers before the Lev loses duration and she starts to go back up. A conundrum...

Bron, how do you get Ondansetron ON a cat's tongue? I open her mouth and the tongue becomes a wild thing, so I have no idea how to get the Ondanestron on top of it! :) Any tips?

What brand of SEB do/did you use? Did you use a powder or a capsule? I'd rather get a brand that I know you used successfully, if possible. Ta, Bron!

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I actually would give the ondansetron and cerenia together because they address nausea from different modalities. I would wait at least an hour or two to give the Mirtz.

We will just have to wait out these bounces.

Please PM me if you get the R and I’ll post on your condo. Paws crossed.

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I just got the SEB powder at the local health food shop. No brand on it .....it was loose powder. Just make sure there is nothing else added. You can get NOW SEB powder from iherb
    https://au.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Slippery-Elm-Powder-4-oz-113-g/788

I don't know how I got it on Sheba's tongue....I just opened her mouth and put it in I think. As long as it goes in her mouth, it should be fine. Try it on her cheek. It will get absorbed quickly. I doubt she could spit it out as it will stick to moisture.
    Have fun!;)

Girlie's mom and Gill & George like this.
  16. Girlie's mom

Thanks @Bron and Sheba and thanks @Marje and Gracie

Poor Girlie - just awful numbers today. She was steady, for sure, but steady in high numbers. I gave her a 1/4 Cerenia @ AM+1 and another 1/4 tablet at PM +1. The PM Cerenia helped a bit and she ate, but she would only eat the CIK Fowl Ball (4%).

Now tonight she's done another deep dive at +4: same food as AM, almost same numbers, but tonight she dove. This cat! :banghead:

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I get it in powder form at my local health food store. Just make sure it is just Slippery Elm Bark with nothing else added to it. It has a sweet taste and odor and both my cats don't mind it at all right in their food.

For nausea the people at Foodfurlife say to mix 1/4 tsp o SEB with 1/2 tsp of George's Aloe Vera Juice and mix it up and make it into a paste and then place on the roof of the mouth of kitty a 1/2 hour prior to meals. I was unable to get it into Bubba that way, so I mixed it and quickly put it into a feeding syringe and squirted into his cheek.

18. Stacy & Asia

Oh no! You threatened an enema and she sorted herself out, threaten a dosecrease ;)

19. rawia

rawia Member

Nausea is awful and every time it happened with my cat it ends at bet clinic for some fluid and appetite simulation and anti nausea. I hate it and i think my cat have it today. Her Am BG was high which is unlikely and she had no appetite just taste little food before her PM shot :(, i am just afraid that it is a nausea

20. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Remember with Lev Onset is around +4, as opposed to +2 with Lantus, so that is kind of when you would expect to see the numbers drop, especially so if the cycle is going to be an active one. The morning cycle, a bounce cycle, is just high and flat, thats what you would expect to see in a bounce cycle.

Looks to me like she signaled her intention to start clearing the bounce with that +4.

Remember on an active lev cycle you are looking at onset at around +4 and a nadir of somewhere around +8-+10. (ECID)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  21. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

nice to finally see a yellow after that frustrating cycle

22. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Now that she’s on Lev, you have to totally rethink and experiment with the feeding again. Frontloading probably needs to occur at +2, +3, +4 with just a little food given at PS.

Gill & George and LizzieInTexas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.