2/11 Benny, AMPS 291, +1 242, +2 161, +3 79, +4 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erin & Scott, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Previous

Grrrr . . . our little savage had himself an illicit feast last night. We had made cinnamon rolls for breakfast the other day, with icing. There were two leftover rolls in a ziploc bag on the counter; when we got up this morning, the bag was on the floor, having been torn open, and all the icing and the top of the rolls eaten.

I should have known better; we've had two other food theft incidents recently, both involving packaging being chewed through, though very little was actually eaten. This is entirely new behavior; other than having learned to cover the butter, we've never had issues with them stealing food as long as it was packaged. I guess we no longer leave anything edible within reach, since packaging is no longer an obstacle.

Just when he was doing so well! I hope his BG drops back into normal range without this causing too much of a setback. We maintained the same dose we've been giving him, as I'm a little bit worried about his numbers dropping after that little sugar glut. I thought cats didn't have a taste for sugar!

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sorry about the Cinnamon Bun Incident, don't worry about it all that sugar will be out of his system soon enough. He'll probably drop back down once this morning shot onsets and the sugar high has worn off. Caught my boy licking blueberry jelly of my toast:rolleyes:
    It's interesting that he stole the food last nigh, he had quite large drop by +2 (40pts) that would get my spidey sense working overtime a +2 that is significantly lower is often the firs indication of cycle that is going to be more active than normal. Did you feed something at +2 to bring him up to 90 by +3? or did he do that all on his own.
    If his cycle saw him drop lower than he's used to that might have triggered his hunger and he went on the hunt for a Cinnamon Bun.???

3. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

I had given him some food around 10 PM since he was clearly still hungry (after his usual 7:30 PM feed), so that may have been what brought him up to 90 at +3. I've been worried about him dropping overnight, and although we leave YA kibble for him, I don't think he actually eats it.

I think the night stalking began because we've been using the lower portion of the kitchen island for testing, so he's learned that sometimes it's okay for him to be on kitchen counters. The first incident happened when I had left a bag of freeze-dried duck treats on that particular counter. They were torn open, but very little had been eaten. The second incident was just Saturday night, when I had left a plate with the grand kids' leftover pancakes, with a silicone cover over it. When we got up, the cover had been chewed and a small bite taken out of a pancake, but nothing really had been eaten. The cinnamon rolls were on a different counter, but he hadn't found them yet.

So I'm sure it's a combination of being hungry during the night, and having learned to counter surf for yummies. I'm going to start freezing small portions of some of his favorites to leave for him overnight, hoping that will help with both the overnight BG lows and the counter surfing.

4. Gill & George

I use an automatic feeder, to supply a couple of evening snacks if I need to. They have a little icepack to keep the food fresh. Is that something that would work for Benny.
    It seems possible that he associated the counter with snacks/treats:rolleyes:

5. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

I'll look in to getting an auto feeder; not sure how it will work since we have two cats, so feeding is always a juggling act, but it may be an option.

6. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

79 @ +3; dropping fast after his sugar binge. He was fed at +2.5, and I will continue to monitor on the hour till he levels off. I was afraid of this, but at least I'm here and can monitor closely.

Auto feeder has been ordered, so he'll be able to get appropriate meals during the night!

ETA: 85 @ +4, so he's starting to level off. Whew!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Reason for edit: Update BG numbers.
  7. Gill & George

I had a feeling he would race back down, once the Cinnamon Bun Icing was out of his system

If you have problems with the right cat getting the food, there are a couple of options, you could separate them at night if that's possible, and there are autofeeders that operate by microchip and will only dispense food to the right cat. I also remember one member fashioning a feeding station it was a box, that the cat would access via a microchip catflap she would place the food for her cat in there so that the other kitties couldn't get to it.

Glad he got back to green even if it was a bit of a wild slide down.