2/12 Buzzy AMPS 251; 1U; PMPS 161/172; 1U; +2.5 98 ; +3.5 82; +4 82...think we're ok

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by toomanycats, Feb 12, 2020.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...91-1u-pmps-399-1u-finally-got-pee-lol.225508/

Another yellow start, a little lower than yesterday's.

I posted in the main forum about doing a curve on Friday then remembered...dur...we go to the vet Friday for the UTI; that'll throw his stress levels off. So, I guess I'll have to just do it Saturday even though that's my like ONE weekend day since last October that I'll be kid-free (my kiddo will be at her grandparents' house.) :\ sigh. Ah well.

At the office today as well, so no mid-day checks.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sonia & Leo and LilTurkey like this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a better start than yesterday! Hope he continues to improve these numbers.

I know how it goes with weekends - but now you've gotten yourself another 'kid' - or it sure seems like it to me :) Luci has changed many plans that I used to have...I swear I thought she was doing it on purpose...I'd be dressed and ready to go - and would check her BG just before leaving and it would be some crazy low number - put down purse, take off shoes, cancel plans :( Sheesh...work on getting her numbers up and her safely back to land...but somehow we got through it...unfortunately with FD there are no guarantees about any plans ... just gotta be flexible all the time...:rolleyes:

Have a great day!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

At least the 12 hours will be over at 5pm, so I can plan something for the evening. And I guess I'll just plan to do a lot of cooking at home vs. going anywhere; maybe get some freezer meals made for post-baby or something.
    Also had the epiphany that possibly I CAN teach DH to test on the PAWS. I was worried about him trying to aim on the ears, but there's less aiming in paw pads. So, I may teach him how to do that, although I'm weirdly squeamish about testing paw pads myself...never done it.

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci won't let me touch her feet under any circumstances...

But I love that you're thinking outside the box!

You know there's also the Freestyle Libre - some people here have used those with mixed results - has to be applied by your vet but it will monitor with phone app - so at least that's something else to consider while you're delivering your baby!

5. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I did think about that, but like...Buzzy will gnaw off those little vinyl claw caps...let alone a button monitor lol.
    He's used to me messing w/ his paws & is pretty tolerant at shot times bc he wants his foods (he's even getting better about his ears now, yay!), so maybe I'll give that a try during the curve to give his earsies a break (they look rather sad).

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. Starting both (paws and husband) now will make it easier.

7. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Heya! 161!
    I feel OK shooting but since we're under 200 thought I'd ask??

8. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Retested same prick spot at 172. I think I'm gonna go ahead and dose. I'm home all evening.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Yeah for blue.

10. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I'm thinking we're still OK? 98 is great right? I won't be able to keep testing tonight, unfortunately, but I am not worried. He did just eat a few nibbles of his typical LC wet food as a treat for testing.

11. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Can you grab a +3 and/or +4- anything in between maybe?
    (98) isn't bad, but it might be before the insulin onset happens so Buzzy could go lower still. I have to feed a LC/MC mixed teaspoon at +2 or +3 sometimes to sort of put the brakes on a dive when I want my guy to try and hold...especially when I don't think I can pull an all nighter. When he is down, he tends to be hard to carb up after the fact which makes for a long night.
    Can you give a snack before bed ?

12. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Can someone help me prep for decision-making tomorrow?

If he reads 150 tomorrow AM, it says in SLGS "don't give insulin"...Does that mean stall? Or skip? I'm so hesitant to totally skip after SO MANY skips only days ago... Could I give a half or quarter dose if that happens?

I guess technically I should've done a token dose or delayed dose this PM since he was between 150-200...oops...

13. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

He seems agreeable to a snack. I can try to grab a +3.5 probably and then feed him some more.

I know it seems selfish, but I'm just getting over the flu and am 22 weeks pregnant, and if I don't go to sleep shortly, there's no way I'll be up in time to do it all for him at 5am tomorrow before work. But I know I don't have a lot of history to fall back on here either -- the high doses earlier didn't seem to hit him til closer to sometime after +8... which is why I'm already nervous about what to do tomorrow morning :(

14. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Ugh actually yeah I guess I need to know if he falls below 90 at any point bc he'd drop 0.25u tomorrow, huh....
    ugh I'm not ready for sleep deprivation

15. Si am cat mom

As long as he can get some more food to help navigate a bit.
    I try and grab a +11 a little bit before the shot is due sometimes. This way, I can compare and see if he is on the way up or not. Even during the day sometimes, a +1 will show you if your cat continues to rise even after his shot is given. It makes you feel a bit better when you can " see" where they are likely headed. My guy usually doesn't show me movement until +2, so I know that if he is lower than I have shot before, he will likely be a bit higher before his insulin kicks in.

Not sure what to tell you about tomorrow with some of the information missing from the picture...I don't think you'll see a lower AMPS number after that (98) but who knows- ECID. My guy would bounce after numbers like that so early
    When in doubt a token dose with extra food available is always doable.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  16. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

lol +11 is at 4:20AM and that thought makes me want to cry. I know I know...I know it's important...sleep is a big triggery topic for me (I've been hospitalized for insomnia; took them 5 days to get me to sleep...sleep is pretty important for me).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he goes lower than the 98...but nor would I be surprised if he didn't...since we're so new and have so little data. Sigh.

Thanks for the help lol and for listening to me whine :)

17. Si am cat mom

Even +11.5 would give you something to compare. And it doesn't HAVE to be tomorrow, I just meant in general I would try and grab those test. This way, you would have a better idea of how to handle lower numbers than you were expecting and whether or not your cat continues to go up a little even after his shot. It helps with some of the dosing decisions, but you can also have time to post here if you notice at the +11 that the numbers are looking too low or are not going up in the future.

That's another reason for feeding a LC to MC option with the shot or around +2... to slow them down from going lower when you can't have eyes on them and hold on to a dose for a bit longer.

You'll figure it out :)

toomanycats likes this.
  18. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Thank you!
    First curve will be Saturday, and hopefully will provide some very valuable insights into his typical processing!

19. Si am cat mom

Hope you get some sleep and Mr. Buzzy Buzz stays safe and stays put around 90 tonight!

20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like action tonight! Stay safe Buzzy. Do you have an autofeeder or can you leave food out for him to eat later when you go to sleep? A big drop by +2 typically means a cycle where they drop a lot. You may have to leave out some higher carb food.

There are two parts to the SLGS method and shooting low numbers. One starts “in the beginning”, the other “with experience”. You are definitely the former as you don’t have the data to shoot lower yet.

21. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Well he's dropped to an 82.
    I've just given him a mix of about 1TBS Fancy Feast LC pate + 1 tsp of Fancy Feast cheddar/gravy (which I think now might actually be my high-carb food - it's 20% carb) ... I'm just screwing this all up, eh... but I imagine that should help....? I will probably give him a little more LC if he wants it to be honest.

And I imagine this means an immediate 0.25u drop whenever we do dose again

22. Wendy&Neko

Yes, that is definitely a reduction down to 0.75 units. Good catch!

23. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

24. Wendy&Neko

Depends how big the bubbles were... given that this is six cycles after his last green, and the resulting bounce can take six cycles to resolve, and the depot is finally building after six cycles at the same dose, tonight is not unexpected.

toomanycats likes this.
  25. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I'm going with that. That one makes me feel better lol.

26. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

OK he's still an 82 at +4.
    I gave him a little more LC wet, and I feel pretty OK going to bed now given the bit of HC he got 30 min ago.
    Tomorrow AM should be interesting

27. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Also, THANK YOU all - this is scary and those weren't even the REAL low numbers!

Wendy&Neko likes this.