2/16 Carbon AMPS 216/+6 578 PMPS "Hi" / +1 444

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mialia, Feb 16, 2019.

1. mialia

mialia Member

See my earlier post today. Just returned from vet. 1 IU was causing a lot of lows but he's high today on the same dose. He's on antibiotics plus stress which is likely rising it. Staying on 1 IU for now.

Still dealing with the lack of roommate / help with care situation which is a huge ball of stress. Interviewed who I thought was a great candidate today, he loves cats, but his fiance hates them... She's a nurse in training so I thought she'd be great. He also works 5 am to 2 pm and I'm worried what changing to 4 am and 4 pm shots will do... He's a good guy, I used to work with him and would trust him completely but there are two major red flags in there... I might get a fourth person in here to do the AM feedings and have him do the PM. His fiance could do AM but...

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can get your roommate situation sorted out.
    If 1 unit was causing lows at the vet you need to be testing often when he comes off the bounce as he could drop very low again. You may need to reduce to 0.75 unit to keep Carbon safe.
    ETA Carbon is probably in high numbers now because he dropped low at the vets. We call that ‘bouncing’ caused by low numbers or dropping too fast. . Bounces can last up to 6 cycles or only one.
    Now that he is on antibiotics for the UTI he could well drop low when he comes off the bounce. So be aware of that and watch for the drop in BSLs and test frequently to keep Carbon safe.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added info
    Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I agree with what Bron said to stay vigilant with testing when the bounce breaks. Infection and stress will cause higher numbers. It is hard to know what the 1 unit is doing as there is lot of missing data. Please always get a pre shot number to make sure it is safe to give insulin. I am not familiar with your situation but would you be able to test more at night ? A lot of kitties run lower in the PM cycle.

Looking at the SS, there are several times you gave insulin to really low numbers . Nothing under 50 with a human meter should be giving insulin . What you would do is stall and retest 20 minutes later to see if the BG come up.

Good luck with finding a suitable room mate.

4. mialia

mialia Member

Yeah I've learned the no insulin after a bounce. I know you are new to my situation so I should have posted the other thread. I am an airline pilot and have a roommate helping. She's moving out though. But loads of testing is hard. I no longer give insulin at lows - my first vet (now very fired) told me to always give it no matter what. The missing data is because of my travel and because he's been boarded a lot lately. The vet promised to send his numbers to me via email but I don't have them yet. I always do a preshot number. Testing at night is often not possible as if I am home, I'm leaving early and have 100 lives in the back of my plane. Being restful for work is critical. It's a poopy situation.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.