2-17 Bear/AMPS 178/+2 132/+5 90/+6.75 146/+11 445/PMPS 427/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bear & Lora, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

Previous Day

I think I might need to recant yesterday's statements.
    Bear is leading the dance and I might have stepped on his foot with the decision not to take the reduction.
    Though it is only a .25 difference, if his BG continues to drop I might take the reduction this PM.
    The other possible scenario for PM is that he could go into another bounce from blue.

Bear's appetite is enormous this morning, with his AMPS and a in between snack he has eaten 3.5 ozs.
    (Side note: My DH-Jeff fed Bear & thought he should eat as much as he wanted since he is in blue level.
    Is this wise??? I have actually never had this issue come up.

Any thoughts or opinions?
    Anyone think I should grab a nap if I can, just in case? :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Giomax and Wally & Stefano like this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like Bear came out of that bounce PDQ maybe because of shooting through the bounce but his next move is anybody's guess. If you're going to catch a nap, I'd do it now! It's possible (fingers crossed) he will surprise you with a green a little later today. Reserving judgment on reduction until Bear shows his cards today!

3. Bear & Lora

What do you think about the food issue?
    Should Bear have as much food as he wants because his BG is lower (blue level)??

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice to see he has broken the bounce. This cycle or tonight's should show you his intentions about the reduction . Looks like you gave 14% to him and he came right up and then went into bounce mode the next cycle.

About the food, hmm, interesting that he would get more hungry with lower numbers, most kitties want to eat less in lower numbers. Is he underweight from the DKA in September? If so, I would probably let him eat a bit more while wanting to, but I would dole out his calories just more frequently to appease him unless he's really underweight, then I would let him have more.

How is he acting otherwise?

Bear & Lora likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

I found Menace was hungrier when either in high or lower mid range (blue) numbers than she was at very low range... sometimes even below 50. But then she didn't follow ANY rules! :woot:

Giomax and Bear & Lora like this.
  6. Bear & Lora

He is actually overweight, at 16lbs last time I weighed him.
    I probably should weigh him to stay current.

He is sleeping very peacefully right now. :D

Giomax likes this.
  7. Bear & Lora

A little off subject- Have you noticed that there is a lot of black cats on FDMB?
    I wonder if I just take notice more often when they are black cats? :rolleyes:

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

:woot:I think we just notice them more often. I had the impression there were less right now than there had been in the past but I could just be imaging that.

9. Bear & Lora

In reality after some thought, DH fed the curve.

Giomax likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No. Bear should have as much food as he needs to keep his weight where it should be. Or in his case, you want to make sure he doesn't gain more since he's overweight. You also never want to fill him up early in the cycle, just in case he dives later in the cycle and you need him to be hungry. Note that some cats will give you a heads up that they will be diving by being especially hungry.

Feeding the curve is fine, but 4 oz is overfeeding the curve. What is Bear's total amount of daily food/calories that he should get?

With a larger dose, hence a larger depot, caution can be key when it comes to reductions. An overfull larger depot can be a "bear" so to speak.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh looky........green! :joyful: Looks like you may have missed your opportunity for a nap! o_O

Bear & Lora likes this.
  12. Bear & Lora

I had read somewhere a while ago to maintain 16lbs Bear needed 370 calories, which at the time was important as he had just had DKA.
    Now I am not to certain how to portion or how many calories he needs.
    He is putting back on some muscle as his nueropathy has improved.
    Bear as of today weighs 16lbs 4ozs.

Do you know where I can read and get more info on calories.
    When I read Dr Pierson's website she stressed that you had to be very cautious with weight loss when dealing with a cat with diabetes.
    I am sure that I need to take into account Bear's DKA episode also.

I could definitely use some help and info to balance weight loss safely.

13. Bear & Lora

LOL! I will test him at +6.5 and see if this is a normal cycle with Nadir usually +5.
    I just wasn't tired at this point in my day. :(

14. Bear & Lora

Bear is grumpy this afternoon.
    Singing and petting him during his +5 test didn't bring about even a little purring.

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Dr. Lisa's site has a page on safe weight loss. She also has a formula for amount of calories to feed. But that is a bit ECID and a scale is your best friend. You can get a pet/baby scale and weigh regularly. Calories should be listed on each can but is also on the food chart. Has the vet given you and ideal weight for Bear?

16. Bear & Lora

No. Every time I have seen her there have been more pressing matters.
    I do have a baby scale, that is what I have been using.
    I think I haven't been using it enough. :rolleyes:

I measured Bear's length today to possibly compare for ideal weight.
    He is 21" nose to rear end.