? 2/5 Kitty AMPS 256, went down to 70 at +5 last night

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie and Kitty, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Julie and Kitty

Julie and Kitty Member

Previous threads: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-1-kitty-pmps-198-to-shoot-or-no-1-176.225099/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-2-kitty-pmps-223-dosing-advice.225145

Kitty's full story: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-here-update-on-kitty.224044/

Kitty went down to 70 last night at +5 and at that point i gave her a handfull of HC treats and went back to sleep. at +7 it was heading back up. As per SLGS method, I reduced her insulin down to 1 u this morning (but maybe fur shot because she was really protesting her shot this morning and kept running away).

I also managed to get her to take a few bites of wet food (President's Choice Extra Meaty) the other day, but since then she hasn't wanted any more if it. Also seems like her appetite has decreased since yesterday morning. I had stopped giving her CBD oil for a day or 2 but will start giving it again in case it helps increase her appetite. I hope her pancreatitis hasn't flared up again. I planned to take her for a vet visit in a few weeks, after pay day, when they can test fructosamine and the IDEXX pancreatitis once again.

Any other thoughts on what's going on with her, or suggestions? Am I doing the right thing decreasing her insulin dose further? It seemed like she bounced again on the night of the 3rd.

Are these really low numbers typical if she's not eating a lot? I had been giving her lots of HC treats to bump up her calorie intake in the evening.

Thanks everyone for the help :) I'm pretty newbie to this and still grasping how the insulin is working with Kitty.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good catch on that 70, and good luck with the reduction. She earned it. She might have gone lower than she's used to on the 3rd, and might bounce again from last night, but that's OK. That's all part of the process and to be expected from a relatively recently diagnosed diabetic cat.

How is Kitty's weight doing? It could be that if she's spending more time in good numbers, her body doesn't need as much food as a diabetic constantly in high numbers. If you weigh her regularly, I'd be more concerned if her weight is going down.

If money is a concern, I would skip getting the fructosamine. It won't tell you much more than what your testing at home is doing. It's just a two week average.

What HC treats are you using? It would be better to find something else to up her calories. Maybe kitten wet food?

3. Julie and Kitty

Julie and Kitty Member

Thank you, good to know this is somewhat normal.

When I weighed Kitty a few days ago her weight was around 8.4 lbs. I will keep weighing every few days.

Good call on the fructosamine, the vet seems to be obsessed with it but i will decline and cite all the home testing I've been doing as sufficient. I think we'll still check the pancreatitis to see where it's at in a few weeks time, or if she's losing a bunch of weight or suddenly goes downhill ill take her in of course.

I'm giving her favourite treats, temptations and Purina Luv. I know they're bad but she turns away from any of the freeze dried treats I've offered. Ill try to find some different ones.

What are some acceptable kitten wet food brands?

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I second skipping the fructosamine test. Your meter will give you a weekly average and a monthly average. Maybe take it to the vet office or show him/her your SS.

Good luck on the reduction.

5. Julie and Kitty

Julie and Kitty Member

Oh really? I didn't know that about my meter, will take a look at that function. Thanks for the tip!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm not too familiar with which brands have kitten formula in Canada. I know in the shelter we fed Wellness kitten and it's low carb. I think in general you can look for foods with a bit more fat and higher calorie, but low carb count.

Have you see the Orijen treats? They are pure meats and come in different proteins and mixes of proteins. Some go crazy for the wild boar. Mine liked the Tundra. They are made in Alberta. Available in independent pet food stores and on line.

7. Julie and Kitty

Julie and Kitty Member

Thanks, I'll take a look for those! It looks like they have Wellness brand at Petsmart. I tried the Orijen 6 fish but maybe she would like the meat ones better. I'll pick some up.