2/5 Meme AMPS 120 ( Vet visit update)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by rawia, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawia

rawia Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-31-meme-amps-170-pmps-152.190487/#post-2123249

Today was our Vet visit to see why her BG is too high, it was not stress as i thought. Her mouth was sore and infected from tooth extraction:(. I noticed little redness few days ago but did not thought it is that bad, today was very sore. I think because i stopped the antibiotic early because of her vomitting. The vet insisit again to give Metacam as she said it is the best drug for inflmation but i said No, she gave her long lasting antibiotic injection and send me home with buprenorphine for pain :arghh:, she said it happened and she will be fine and that for sure rised her BG.

Is that ok for a gum to inflame after tooth extraction or because i stopped the antibiotics early !! Or that because they did not use Metacam!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sometimes the gum will become inflamed after an extraction. Were there stitches at the extraction site? It shouldn't become infected, but that's usually why antibiotics are given. If kitty is sick from antibiotics, giving a probiotic may help. I've had a kitty be fine after extraction wtih no antibiotics. Not using Metacam did not cause the inflammation.

I hope Meme heals quickly now.

tiffmaxee and Stacy & Asia like this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good that you had her seen again. Often extraction sites do get infected. Possibly from stopping the antibiotic to early, but hard to know. Often times when a kitty is not doing well on one antibiotic the vet will switch it out to another one. Or if there is only a day or so left in the prescription that isn't sitting well with the kitty the vets will say to stop it. It's hard to say. But, I am so glad that you held your ground and would not let them give Metacam.

Hope Meme is good as new soon.

4. rawia

rawia Member

No there is no stitches, the vet removed the front tooth because it was cracked and she said it is much easies and less pain because this tooth has only one root and she will not use it to chew.

5. rawia

rawia Member

I have one question about the bup, she gave me three syringes for three days, the vet show me how to apply it but i did not focus.

She told me to put it from the side of her mouth, should i put on the gum or to give it to her like liquid medicine!!!

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be absorbed in the mouth, so try to put it between the teeth and the gums.

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Meme got an infection. Hope the new antibiotic helps her heal quickly.

8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

She’s not supposed to eat/swallow it. It is absorbed in to the cheek, so if you can squirt it in her cheek pouch or just generally aim for the cheek, it should be good enough. Don’t fret if it’s not perfect and she does swallow it, it’s just a tiny amount and any that comes in contact with her cheek should work. Hope the antibiotic injection clears it up quickly and that the pain meds help in the meantime. Healing vines to Meme. :bighug:

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

True about not swallowing but it does still get absorbed if that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.