2/6 Noodle AMPS 262 +2 295 +5.25 231 PMPS 164 (~.5U) +2 149 +4 145

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patricia & Noodle, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-5-noodle-amps-186-ns-pmps-342.132613/

Woah! After 2 cycles without insulin, Noodle's BG was down on her own this morning! AND she was SO GOOD letting me test her. I could cry happy tears! :)

She's due 1U. We have a vet appt at 11:30, so +5.5, they'll realistically test her blood around +6. She's eating well right now, I'm pacing her so she doesn't throw up again.

I think I'll give her the 1U, but just a smidge under the line? We discussed .75U yesterday, but after missing two doses in a row I don't know.

2. Patricia & Noodle

What's up with her BG going up after a dose? Normal?

3. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Did you feed her when you gave the shot? Some cats have a food spike. It's normal.

It's also really not that much higher. It's within the +20% meter variance.

4. Patricia & Noodle

She did eat a can of food before her shot. Good to know.

5. Patricia & Noodle

Looks like Miss Noodle will be staying high today, wanted to get a reading right before her appt. I'm nervous about facing the vet after I went rogue! I've never been one to not follow authority figures.

I'll have my Internet hooked up again tonight, finally! Will put together a spreadsheet then.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just remember...the vet works for you!

Good luck with the vet visit and don't let him/her shake you....we'll be here for you and Miss Noodle!

7. Patricia & Noodle

@Chris & China I was nervous for no reason!! Her vet is wonderful. She asked to see what values we've taken so far, took the glucose notes and the 5 page protocol tables from the Rand study to scan and put in Noodle's file. She's totally open to working with me on this and was fine with my choices yesterday, just doesn't have a grasp of the human meter numbers. I'll email her a special version of my spreadsheet with the estimated Alphatrak equivalents in a column next to my Relion readings just so she can glance at something in her "language" as she put it.

All in all, I'm very happy with my decision to make the practice at the VCA hospital where she was treated her regular vet. The tech recommended a really awesome doctor that was excited I want to be so hands on.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

WOO HOO!! All that worry for nothing!! It's great that she's willing to work with you and also that she's happy that you're being so involved with Noodle's care. I think a lot of vets think that if they even suggest doing what we do, people would choose to euthanize instead :(

If you left the protocol with her, there's information in it about the differences between the human and pet meters too.

9. Patricia & Noodle

Yep, she's thrilled with the improvement so far! We had a full pound of weight gain in the last 12 days! (She was 5.9 LB in ICU, 7.3 now! 2 lbs to go!) That's encouraging because that means she's actually absorbing nutrients in the 3-3oz cans of food she's wolfing down every day. We are tapering off to 1mg of Cypro once a day starting tomorrow.

10. Patricia & Noodle

So her number is way down tonight. I don't know whether or not to shoot but I have 15-20 mins to decide. She's eating now. Due 1U, prepared to reduce or skip. She didn't get insulin at all yesterday.

11. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Can you give me her numbers and doses for the last week - week and a half please. It's a shootable number but I remember she went low and I want to see what she's been doing.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

She earned a reduction to .75 units the other night. I'd go with that.

13. Patricia & Noodle

Only data I have:
    Wednesday Night---
    1U Lantus @6:30 pm

+3.5 - 49 (~1oz LC, 1tsp gravy)
    +4.5 - 52 (1tsp LC 1 tsp gravy)
    +5 - 54 (1tsp LC 1 tsp gravy)
    +5.5 - 61 (1tsp LC 1 tsp gravy)
    +6 - 69 (2 tsp LC)
    +6.5 - 81 (didn't eat)
    +7 - 84 (1 tsp LC)
    +8 - 74 (small bit of gravy)
    +8.5 - 139 (no food)
    +9 - 117 (~2 tsp LC and a little sleep)

Yesterday (No Shots)
    2/5 Noodle AMPS 186 NS, PMPS 342

14. Patricia & Noodle

Ok, not any less with the drop today despite no insulin yesterday?

15. Wendy&Neko

Can you monitor tonight? Do you have plenty of stirs and high carb food?

16. Wendy&Neko

If you are nervous, you could go with .5 units. Her numbers show she still needs some insulin.

17. Patricia & Noodle

I can, but I have a pretty big thing tomorrow from 8-12 that it would be best if I am rested for. I hate not dosing her when shes clearly responding though.

18. Patricia & Noodle

Maybe I'll do that, I feel a bit more comfortable that way.

19. Wendy&Neko

You can always give her high carb food to keep her higher.

20. Vyktors Mum

I can keep an eye on you today :)

21. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks @Vyktors Mum :)

I went ahead and eyeballed .5U, I only have 1U syringes right now, but clearly I'll need to get .5U ones if she's going to keep showing me shes responding.

I've got Karo and a new case of food, plus 2 cans of gravy FF. Lets see what she does.

Does this ever get less nerve wracking? I've felt like I'm making a life or death decision every day since she went to the hospital. My adrenaline feels like its never come down.

22. Vyktors Mum

Teeheehee it does - when you have your spreadsheet and plenty of data and you know what your cat is likely to do it gets less nerve wracking. How is Noodle going with the testing now?

23. Patricia & Noodle

She's not a fan if it takes to long for the blood to bead up or if I have to work it up with pressure, but she's not hiding from me yet!

24. Vyktors Mum

You're doing the treats yes?

We'll get a +2 to see if it looks like being an active cycle.

25. Patricia & Noodle

Yep, that's how I convince her to come to me! Nights like Wednesday it stopped working, but most of the time she will come for a treat even if she knows whats in store.

+2 sounds good. Gives me time to go grab my own dinner & set up the new modem. Our apartment is such a disaster from my roommates move, I can't even use the kitchen.

26. Vyktors Mum

Ok see you back here then.

27. Patricia & Noodle

We've got a +2 of 149, a kitty hiding under the bed, and a bean with a burger (and a new big fuzzy blanket from target for the kitty).

28. Vyktors Mum

Nice, that's not too much lower and really about the same with meter variance. How does a +4 sound?

29. Patricia & Noodle

Sounds good to me. I might try for a +3 first if shes not being too finicky, since that low number the other night was at +3.5.

30. Vyktors Mum

And you have a spreadsheet - fantastic! You can manually color the cells where you have more than one test by clicking on the arrow next to the icon that looks like a paint tin tipping and select the colour your want - those under 50s are a brighter green

31. Vyktors Mum

Extra tests are never a bad thing but don't forget you don't know where she started at the other night. I suspect she would have been pretty low when you shot.

32. Patricia & Noodle

Ahh good to know! I was wondering how to do that.

PS Noodle says hello, she came over for some head butts and kisses and started trying to type for me. :cat:

33. Vyktors Mum

Awwww hello Noodle you little cutie pie

34. Vyktors Mum

Was waiting for your +3 but guess you've decided to wait for +4 so I'm just nicking out to get the paper. Will be back by +4 :)

35. Patricia & Noodle

+4 - 145, steady!

36. Vyktors Mum

She's surfing nicely :)
    What time is it over there - in relation to bedtime?

37. Patricia & Noodle

It's 10:45pm here, I usually like to be lounging in bed by 11-11:30 on nights before a long run. (Wild & crazy 28 year old here...)

38. Vyktors Mum

If she were mine I'd take a cat nap and get up for a quick +6 since we don't know too much about how she works yet but I really think she'll be fine if that's not possible for you. If you can I'd leave low carb food down for her - if you don't have other critters and she doesn't hoover

Just got to test purrdy

39. Patricia & Noodle

She hoovers right now, but I've been giving her ~1.5 oz LC before I go to bed anyways. Just put that down and I'll try for a +6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.