2/7 Gordy AMPS 297, +2.5=292 | PMPS 321, +2=290, +4.5=154

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gordy slides down and surfs for you. Sorry about the auditors.

3. CassAndGordy(GA)

+3.5=301

I guess he plans on surfing. I guess that's ok.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Come on back down Gordy. Good luck with the corporate stuff. :rolleyes:

5. CassAndGordy(GA)

PMPS 321

I am feeling very defeated lately.

Gordy has been on Lantus for over a year and I feel like he has made zero progress.... when should I consider other insulin options? I am so beyond drained doing this on my own (physically) and financially drained because I can't even contemplate getting a second job to help with bills because of his diabetes.

6. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Cass and Gordy, Titan's mom here. I don't have any expert advice to give regarding the insulin but I know
    that the FDMB has a wealth of info and someone will have a suggestion for Gordy. It is frustrating and draining emotionally, physically and financially. You are doing a great job for him. You will both be in our thoughts.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Gordy is definitely a bouncy boy. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I well remember how frustrating that can be. It took about a year and a half before Neko stopped bouncing to red. :rolleyes: One thing that really helped me was to look back at what Neko was like at the beginning of her FD journey. She had improved so much and was feeling so much better, that alone made it worth while. How is Gordy doing now compared to over a year ago? Cats are more than their numbers.

You might indeed want to consider trying Levemir. We say to give an insulin a good 6 months before switching. You've done that. Some, but not all, cats are flatter on Lev. Flatter makes life easier and more predictable, as much as a cat can be predictable. :cat: How much Lantus do you have left? I wouldn't consider a switch until you've got a few days you can monitor, as some cats respond strongly to the switch. Take a look at Phoebe's SS, she just switched on Sunday. Before switching, you do have to consider that the onset and nadir are later. Typical onset is +4, typical nadir is +8. Neko never liked being typical. But nadirs closer to shot time were easier for me than ones in the middle of the cycle.

8. CassAndGordy(GA)

Overall, he is doing better, and I am super grateful for that.

I just ordered a box of Lantus. :rolleyes: so I am not in a big rush right now, but switching to Lev is definitely a thought I am having. I have about 6 months of insulin now LOL

Its just starting to burn me out (this and my job), and I hate feeling this way. Makes me want to date just so I can convince someone to help :facepalm:

9. Wendy&Neko

Sorry - but LOL! :p I get it, FD is hard. You are doing a great job.:bighug:

Now that it's been over a year since Gordy's diagnosis, there are new guidelines for reductions. According to TR, the reduction point for long term diabetics is 40. Some people instead use the guidelines for kitties that don't hold reductions well, which is three times under 50 (or 1 under 40), on three separate days. That might give Gordy some more time in green, and that's what he needs now to help him get over being so bouncy. Oh, and he needs an increase too. Been 10 days and it was just a high green.

10. CassAndGordy(GA)

+2=290

I can increase, but due to my work schedule, the "3 times under 50" rule makes me uncomfortable, especially with him bouncing so much. Those times when I leave him in the AM and he is in high pinks, and I come home to greens. Its great to get green, but when I don't have the comfort to test during the days while I work, it makes me really really nervous. =/

11. Wendy&Neko

I get it. :bighug: It's kind of a catch 22. He needs more greens to stop being so bouncy but it's hard to get him to a dose with more greens cause he's not to be trusted. I started with doing 2 times below 50. Are you leaving lots of food out for him during the day? I much prefered shooting lower numbers, the cycle was much more predictable.

12. CassAndGordy(GA)

I use the PetSafe 5 for when I am gone, so he gets 4 snacks during each cycle. Though, sometimes he feels like just napping... :rolleyes:

I love shooting lower numbers.... when I can monitor LOL

13. CassAndGordy(GA)

+4.5=154

Well well well. Someone didnt like the "I" word being discussed...

Oh, this is a bummer because now he momentum and i have to skip tomorrow night because of work :arghh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.