? 2 April - Radar - pretty blues last night - ? about late nadir cats

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's yesterday's post

Radar is doing well today and eating like a "normal" cat - I don't know quite what to do with that as it is pretty rare at our house to have a cat who eats when food is put out. :eek:

In looking over Radar's trends I'm wondering how one determines if a cat is a late nadir cat? It used to be that Radar's nadir was somewhere around +3 to +5 and he was fairly consistent. But recently he seems to be having his lowest point in the cycle much later.

So I would like to know what experience others have with figuring out if their cat is a late nadir cat. Are there testing routines I can adopt that will help me? or other experiments I can try? Thanks in advance for whatever information you can point me towards. :bookworm: @Bobbie And Bubba

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  2. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Jan, nice to see you :), I'm in the same boat, especially lately in the pm cycles. I used to find that the early nadirs were when Maverick was having a super active cycle, he'd drop right down quite early. The late nadirs have me honestly confused too ;)

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The nadir is the lowest point of any given cycle. Cats may or may not nadir at a consistent time. My Neko on Lantus would consistently nadir between +3.5 and +13, though most often in the +7 to +9 time frame. :p The only way to find the nadir is to test. Maybe start getting a few more +7 to +10 tests to see if he's going up at preshot, or still going down. Often cats will nadir later if they are breaking a bounce. On the 31st, it could be that Radar got lest stressed at home, so his numbers came down. Last night looks like a a bounce breaking cycle.

For the cycles that he was at the vet, could you put the dose they shot in the Units cell so we know there was insulin given? If it was the same dose, I suspect he needs an increase. You should know by tomorrow.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  4. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy for your insights. I will start getting more tests in the +7 to +10 range. That's a good idea. When Radar was at the vet I don't think they stuck to a 12 hour cycle when giving his shots so that would make the depot "unstable". For that reason it made sense to let things settle for a couple of days before I increased his dose.

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.