22.08 PORTO, AMPS 79, +0,5 74, +1 70, +3 112, +10 393, PMPS 427, +4 374, +9 364

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Manu & Porto, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

yesterday

Low BG no shot. Went for a walk and it seems he has acid as he licks the floor and tries to eat every plant. Hope he calms down.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Porto, hope he feels better soon.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  3. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

@Tracey&Jones thank you!
    I wanted to ask you something, not sure if you can help, but any input would help me.
    He is betterwith the acid but his BG went up as result to the NS this am. Also maybe a bounce caused by those greens?
    Given that when we switched to 2,5 units, from 2, we also switched the food to wet lower carb, also he has 30 min of outdoor walking daily since then, should we go back to 2 units and see how that pans out? We got way better numbers with 2,5 and wouldnt want to lose that, as he is already high (almost 400 at +10) but with this drops (I suspect he had another one the other night, but I didnt test throught that night), I wonder if it is ok to back to 2 ud. I was going to play out the lower BG this morning, shoot a higher dose and give carbs, but having these changes made to diet, exercise and bude (lowered the dose from 0,5 to 0,4 in the last days and maybe it is helping with inflammation also), I got scared...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

With that 79 he earned a reduction on SLGS. Anything below 90 means a reduction. I see the 2.5 then a 2+, then a 2.25. With the food changes, exercise, lower bude...that all could attribute to a lower BG. Lots in the mix.

I would be tempted to stay to 2.25 units with the amount you test. With that NS and green he is going to bounce and that can up to 6 cycles to clear. If he earns another reduction to 2, then we drop then. We are trying to get to a dose that you can give consistently every 12 hours and get him into that green zone. It is funny because once you start to shoot lower numbers, the drops are not so dramatic.

Let's tag Wendy and see what she has to say? @Wendy&Neko

Manu & Porto likes this.
  5. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you so, so much!! I checked the board before the shot and went with 2.25. He got to 427. I feel so guilty now, for not shooting, I always feel this anxiety shooting low number and then the guilt, when his BG goes way up. Also, my bf is of influence, to some degree, he knows a bit less about diabetes but is with us here and and is afraid of shooting when low so he sort of convinces me it is better safe than sorry. He is afraid he will drop so fast that we wont have time to bring him up to stay in a safe level. Im not sure how quick he can drop, I guess even if the dose is high, the drop will have to still need a few hours to reach hipo. I think. But with these ideas he is adding to my doubts and anxiety. Not pointing fingers, just how things happen when shot time with low numbers.
    But I realize I will have to start shooting and giving hc if needed, to keep the dose. Or else I feel we will keep going back in circles.
    The good thing is he seems alright, a bit sleepy but right after shot was playful. Poor guy, probably used to having these high BG...
    I hope Jones is better, was looking for his condo last weekend and didnt see one and now Im a little behind on the progress, will check everything out in a bit when I get more pc time.
    Thank you again, we will stick with 2.25, for now I hope he comes down tonight!!

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

This is from yesterday's condo:
    We do sometimes tell people that are just starting treatment and are switching their cat to low carb from high carb to wait to start insulin for a day or two after the switch, in case the low carb food causes the numbers to drop dramatically, which can happen. Since you have already been giving insulin, I wouldn't apply this rule. Just be aware you need to monitor more closely during and after the transition, until you know how the change is affecting Porto's BG.

I'm glad you shot the 2.25. I agree with Tracey that Porto has had a lot of changes made in a short time and we need get him settled down to properly assess how he's doing. Picking a dose and sticking with it for a week (unless he drops below 90) is one of the best ways to start this.

Your BF is right that it is better to be safe than sorry, but as you learn more about how the food changes and the insulin (and other meds) are affecting Porto, you will become more confident and be able to make decisions about when it is safe to shoot. For now, keep asking for input and keep monitoring. You're doing great!

BTW, can you please go back to yesterday's condo and remove the 911? We ask that this only be used for emergencies, and be taken down as soon as the issue is resolved. It tends to give us heart palpitations when we see it! :eek: Thanks! :)

Manu & Porto likes this.
  7. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you so much, @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey! I hope we get back those nice numbers! I do have a question, when stalling a shot, for example, +1,5h into the normal shooting time, the next shot time should be at the usual shot time? Ofr do I change the next shot time in acordance with the late one? I could stall for better numbers but am in doubt with this particular issue.
    I will def. go and change the subject, I didnt know this matter about the question mark, sorry! And thank you, again!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Tracey and Tricia. Good luck with the new dose.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

When you stall, you will have to work back to your normal shot time. You can either go back by 15 minutes each cycle or 1/2 hour once a day. Anytime you shoot early it is like doing a dose increase and when you shoot late is like a dose decrease.

10. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you, Wendy!

Thank you, Tracey, now it is clear :)

11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I'm glad Tracey answered the question. I'm recovering from major surgery and not on the Board a lot at the moment.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  12. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Oh, no, no worries Tricia! Im greatful for your reply and help, especially given your state!! I hope your recovery is quick and with no issues!! Feel better! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.