25.7 curve results and upcoming vet visit

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PercyCat, Nov 11, 2019.

1. PercyCat

PercyCat New Member

So I'm about to do Percy's first curve test (which is long overdue...I just literally have not had a day off work since he got diagnosed Oct. 14.)

How often should I test for a curve? My vet said every two hours, but I notice the spreadsheet is broken down into every hour, which made me second guess that....

(Also I plan on fixing my spreadsheet today. I previously deleted the US tab and someone has told me I shouldn't have...I just haven't had the time. So much to catch up on today!)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Every two hours for 12 hours, or every three hours for 18 hours, your choice, the first has more detail, the second gives you two cycles of data. If you see him going lower, you might want to test a little sooner than 2-3 hours apart. I think maybe for you, every two would be good. That will help you pinpoint his onset and nadir, which allows you to be more strategic about spot checks.

Good luck with the curve.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Reason for edit: typos
    Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. PercyCat

PercyCat New Member

Thanks!

4. PercyCat

PercyCat New Member

So I have my first follow up with my vet on Wednesday, and I also did my first curve for Percy today.

His blood glucose stayed in the mid-low 20s all day. I'm guessing this will mean my vet will want to up his dosage, which I'm fine with. I'm just wondering how that will work.

I've noticed some people saying that dosing should never be increased by a full unit...but I've got the pens and there's no partial unit capability for them. How would I be able to increase by a partial unit? Or is it not at all a possibility?

Also, are there any questions I should ask when I'm at the vet? This will be my first follow up visit and at the first appointment where they were telling me he has diabetes and explaining how to give him insulin I was so overwhelmed I didn't even know what I should be asking. Now I know a little bit more, but I'm still not 100 per cent on things I should ask my vet.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I know it seems a bit of a pain but we use US numbers in this forum so most members are not going to take the time to convert 25.7 or 20. We ask you use the US numbers please for those helping you :):) Thank you.

It’s vitally important that you always test before you give insulin. I cannot tell you how many times members have woken up to low numbers and if they hadn’t tested and, instead, shot blindly, their cat would have likely hypoed.

It’s also important, in addition to the preshots, to get a couple tests during each cycle. If you work, you could perhaps get a +2 and/or an “out-the-door” test and then an “in-the-door” test when you get home. At night after you test before the shot and then shoot, a +2 and before bed would be helpful.

Often, if a member has a little more data, a weekly curve can give us some idea of the BGs but if he dropped low somewhere and is bouncing on curve day, he just looks high and then everyone thinks the dose should go up. It’s always important to know how low a dose is taking the BG.

While it looks like he needs more insulin, I absolutely would not increase by more than 0.25u provided you can test a bit more.

I am not sure what to tell you to ask your vet since we feel we have found most vets are not well versed in FD. Many of us have not really gotten into conversations with our vets about FD as they tend to have different methods of dosing which we do not believe is best for the cat. I’m not disparaging vets; they see multiple species and are usually so busy that becoming well-versed in FD is just one thing they don’t have time for. In addition, many feel it is fine if the cat stays in the 200-300 range because it’s “safe”.

Perhaps you want to read through our stickys and maybe it will give you an idea of questions to ask.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can get the BD syringes with half unit markings in any human pharmacy, in Canada they are the BD Ultrafine II, elsewhere the BD Microfine. I would get those before you increase.