29/01 - Gremlin - AMPS 61, +6 124, PMPS 148, +3 90, +7 88 (PICS) We're having a rough time

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Gremlin (GA), Jan 28, 2019.

1. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello all!

Thought I might update everyone of what's been happening with Gremlin recently. It's going pretty rough for us! I'm really struggling with it all, to be honest.

Gremlin's thyroid levels jumped up way too high and his medication was increased. The high dose of medication was no good for him so it was recommended he have a partial thyroidectomy. He isn't eligible for iodine treatment here due to his diabetes and early stage CKD.

Six days ago he had the surgery and he's still not recovering. His blood glucose is all over the place, most mornings he is twitchy and wobbly, he's got diarrhea, and he vomited this morning. He's gone SUPER fussy with food and I'm struggling to feed him. He would love the dry food my civvies get... Otherwise all he wants is the gravy like substance in the Dine trays which is fine for his diabetes but not great for his CKD. He's now refusing his FF and Wellness which are the only foods good for his diabetes and CKD that he would eat prior to surgery. He is also on a calcium supplement due to the twitching.

His spreadsheet has pretty much everything on it.

Any advice? Vines? I'm so stressed, I'm giving myself mouth ulcers!

2019 spreadsheet

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Laura! I am so sorry that Gremlin has had a rough go. I hope he continues to recover from the surgery.

I cant see any further than the end of 2018 so I can't comment on his numbers. I understand about stress and all the physical manifestations it can cause. I hope you and Gemlin are soon back in the saddle!

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Poor baby with the surgical site!!!

5. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you Bobbie!
    I had to put the link to his 2019 spreadsheet in the first post. They shortened signatures so I'll have to remove his 2018 one to fit his 2019 one.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many vines to dear Gremlin. Poor baby

7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

God bless this sweet boy ❤️ Sending many strong healing and restoring prayers to dear Gremlin and hugs and peace to you, Laura :bighug::bighug: What a precious face :bighug::bighug::bighug: Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers daily ❤️

8. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you Bron and Beth for the healing vines and prayers!

Beth 73 and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  9. BacardiTheGreat

BacardiTheGreat Member

Poor baby, get better soon!

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

I'm so sorry about the trouble poor Gremlin has been having.

Regarding the spreadsheet: You should be able to use one link for both if you simply combine the sheets. Just move the 2019 pages to the same "book" as the 2018. You'll notice it has multiple tabs. Take a look at Harvey's or Cinco's SS to see what I mean. If you don't know how to do that, send Marje a PM and I'm sure she'll help you.

I'm not familiar with Dine, but if the issue is the phosphorous level, what about adding a phosphorous binder to it? A lot of people here have had to do that because they couldn't get their kitties to eat a CKD friendly food.

What does his vet say about the issues he's having? Is there something he could give you to help with the diarrhea? Keep an eye on his hydration - he may need fluids to get him through this rough patch.

Sending tons of vines for Gremlin and :bighug:s for you. Please keep us posted.

11. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines
    Bella’s sister had to have that done as well and when we went for our last check up for it, there was a small tumor on her right one, so back on meds we had to go
    Hope he feels better soon

12. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thanks Tricia.

Dine is slightly higher in phosphorus than I'd like but he is still very early stage so I'm not too stressed as long as he starts eating the other food soon. He did eat some of his Salmon FF tonight thankfully!

I will look into phosphorus binders at some stage but I don't think it's necessary just yet.

I need to email the vet again and update them, though they have a link to his spreadsheet too. He had a fairly good day today so I'm considering reducing the calcium supplement and stopping it to see if it helps with the runs. He is still drinking heaps fortunately.

Tonight I gave the bare minimum of insulin. After waking up to 3.4 (61) this morning, I'm a bit wary of giving it to him at all! And the calcium supplement has glucose in it. It smells like sugar syrup. Without that, he may drop lower still.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella's sister had to go back on meds. Grem's other gland was normal when checked during surgery so fingers crossed! Thank you.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Would Gremlin eat some chicken breast poached gently in water. He might drink the juice from the chicken as well.

14. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

He LOVES chicken! Why do I keep forgetting the chicken!?! I will get some out of the freezer tonight. I'm pretty sure there's some in there.

My son has recently been diagnosed with Autism (he's 14) and I was recently diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so there's a lot going on and my brain is like sludge!

Thank you for the reminder Bron!!
    Serious face palm going on over here...

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry things are so rough right now. I hope Grem heals soon and starts eating more for you. It may just take time since it was a major surgery. Sending prayers.

Here are suggestions we give people who have cats that don't want to eat. Maybe something will help Grem.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m sorry you have so much going on at the moment. :bighug:

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  17. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your poor baby.

Sending vines and prayers for a speedy recovery. :bighug:

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

:bighug:to you, and Healing Vines and Eating Vines to Gremlin.[​IMG]
    If he's on antibiotics from the surgery that may cause the diarrhea and vomiting. If so, some probiotics may help him. Besides the surgery recovery, he may be feeling quite different now, going from a hyper state to a normal state as far as his thyroid is concerned. Maybe it takes some time getting used to.

19. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

That's an amazing list Carla!

He is still eating, he's just being fussy. I'm going to save that list though, it's fantastic!

Thanks Bron. We'll manage, we always do!

Thanks Sue and Dyana!
    No antibiotics, I think it's most likely from the calcium supplement he's on.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

You don't have any labs on the tab. What is his phosphorus level? Elevated phos can cause nausea.

Are you using Ondan, Cerenia and/or slippery elm bark for the nausea?

Poor baby. Prayers up for Gremlin (and you and DS).

:bighug::bighug:

21. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I don't have copies of his labs. His kidney disease is early stage and as far as I'm aware, his phos levels are okay at this point.

He's not showing symptoms of nausea, only fussiness and refusing food, particularly the food he was given after surgery at the vets. I don't give anything for nausea.

Thank you.

22. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

90 at +3... May have to try to drag myself out of bed to re-test at +6 :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: I'm not comfortable with how his BGL has been behaving lately!

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He has food left out for him, just in case you don't wake up?

24. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Hi Laura, good morning. First off- OMG what a cutie, the pic with him on black is priceless :), those big eyes are adorable :).
    Ok, question to you.- what do you mean... ...behaving lately?

25. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Know you are hopefully sound asleep but just checking in ❤️ Sending prayers and hugs to you , Laura :bighug:

26. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

27. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sending you a ton of healing vines. Poor Gremlin is coping with a lot right now - surgery, meds, kidney issues, etc. I'm not surprised his BGs are all over the map. Poor you as well! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Always Dyana! He just woke me up for a cuddle (his purr is loud and crazy since surgery) so I got up and tested him.

Kristina - for instance today when I woke up his BGL was 60. That is NOT normal. It's not even close to normal! And the evening before, it was 205! Up and down, all over the place! He's usually quite regular and predictable but not since surgery.

Thank you everyone for the vines!

29. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines. I hope his BG levels flatten out soon, and that he eats more readily.:bighug:

30. Kris & Teasel

FWIW, Teasel's BGs became much more erratic than usual as his May/June health crisis was brewing. It could have been a panc or IBD or both flare and instead of running higher as we'd expect I had to drop his dose repeatedly and he dove too low often. Once we got past all that (nightmarish!) his BGs stabilized - well, his version of stable anyway. I've learned that wild ups and downs in BG can be part of being unwell. If it's true for Teasel it could be true for other kitties.

31. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I give my cats PAWS CBD OIL by the stanley Bros. (my vet said it's a very reliable product) When they go off their food 5 -8 drops in a spoon of baby food gets them eating again in several hours. It always works great for all 3 of my Cats.
    If they don't want the baby food I mix it with a spoon of water & give it by syringe. ( some people are hesitant to use CBD oil but Cornell University is now studying it for cats. My vet uses it for his own dog.) It's good for inflammation & other problems also.

energy.jpg

32. Beth 73

Thyroid can mess big time with all their organs . I remember it took almost a month to get Elmo's BG regulated after he went off prescription food ( high carb ...possible cause of diabetes) for thyroid and switched to daily meds . I have to keep reminding myself that the thyroid is a thermostat that can mess with their BGs til thyroid settles down . I'm sure the same will be the case for Grem :bighug:❤️

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  33. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Gremlin woke me up during the night purring (which is super loud since surgery, louder than he already was) so I got up and fed and tested him. He woke me again half an hour before breakfast by purring in my face. He then ate a fair amount of breakfast! About half, yay! And his BGL was pretty good (though hopefully it doesn't drop really low while I'm at work) so I gave him a miniscule dose of insulin. After he went and meowed at the door to go out (haha, nope!).

Maybe, just maybe, he's finally starting to improve. Fingers and toes crossed!
    Thank you everyone for all the vines!

30/01 AMPS 124

34. Bobbie And Bubba

Here's hoping the recovery continues like today. Sounds like you are on the right path to getting there!

upload_2019-1-29_15-34-2.png

35. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you!

Hopefully he starts washing himself soon too... Grotty cat!

This is him on the bathroom bench purring right now. He just had a big drink or water from the tap. IMAG5526.jpg

36. Beth 73

Hugs to you , sweet Gremlin :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Beth 73

And to you , Laura :bighug::bighug::bighug:

38. Kris & Teasel

I wonder if his purr is louder right now because he had the fur shaved off his throat. Maybe that fur insulates the purr sound somewhat.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  39. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

Aw that's too much for one little kitty to bear! Only a great momma can take care of all that. You're doing amazing, I'm overwhelmed just reading about it! :bighug:

40. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Hahaha! That would be interesting!
    Apparently it's actually due to the swelling and trauma to the area around his throat and it should eventually settle.

He's doing much better today. It's a huge relief that he's starting to show signs of improvement. He is getting extremely vocal!

41. Bron and Sheba (GA)

So glad he is doing better.
    Love the latest photo! I want to hug him!

42. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

He's a very huggable cat :) I wrap my arms around him and snuggle my face into his neck, and he's happy!

43. Kris & Teasel

Keep us posted on his progress. :)

Krystina & Nelli and Beth 73 like this.
  44. Beth 73

Oh , Laura, such joyous news :):bighug::) Sending more prayers for continued healing/restoration to sweet Grem ❤️

45. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I'll start a new thread...