? 3/11 Myagi amps 156, +2 193, +5 169, gag/spasm????, pmps 204, +3 224

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Myagi (GA) and Heidi, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

3/10/18 thread - meds all day & sub q, crf link, sub q video, Marje lab notes, except chicken no appy imprvmt, uncomfortable pm cycle

Amps 156, 0.1u, 2c bkfst & chicken, ate none, gave a little evo kibble which he ate. Syringed water x2. Antibiotic, appy and famotidine in pill pockets.

He seems so uncomfortable. Breathing a little rapid. Didn't purr all evening. Purrs this morning but only briefly. Fluids not fully absorbed yet. He peed but I couldn't test it. He outwardly looks so much better than other day, but other than being more alert and awake more, he isn't acting better. Still weak, laying one spot, not self feeding/ drinking, looking sad.

I almost feel like the iv fluids helped and the sub q fluids made something worse....
    It certainly seems like he's got plenty of cyproheptadine and famotidine in him that he should be eating.

I know I said yesterday I'd do 100ml sub q, but I may skip today altogether depending on how he does.

Hugs to everyone. Beautiful Sunday to you and your fur babies:bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  2. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+2 193, few pieces evo only won't touch food or chicken. Syringe water. Attaching video of weird way breathing. Ok. Tried repeatedly and can't do it.

3. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+5 169, syringe fed 20ml combo of turkey baby food, 2c and water. 2 syringes water also. He then ate several small pieces of chicken, a little mature and a little evo.

The syringe feeding was the worse yet, he was very distressed and combative. Calmed super fast after and doesn't mind syringe water. He is on closet pillow now but alert and appears less distressed than earlier (prior post about discomfort, breathing).

Unfortunately, as I said, I requested it because of his dehydration and not eating or drinking on his own. She felt it was good if I could do it and instructions were daily til he doesn't need it anymore. So if better, stop, if not, replace bag when done. She did the 200ml iv fluids there.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Myagi feels better soon and his appy picks up. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Catching up my end.

Was there a diagnosis Heidi or are you still waiting on that.

I think for video , you have to upload to you tube first and then link that to here.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

So sorry....I missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

7. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Just had weird cough/ choke/ spasms... unable to video while helping him. He was napping then started like gagging, choking, coughing simultaneously (very hard to describe, like he couldn't breathe but needed to vomit). I know I'm not describing well cause it was complex and weird. I brought him out and gave him small drops of water and tried to comfort, calm. He did at first then seemed to have another "spasm " and this time thought he'd actually vomit, but after a moment He relaxed and sat down. He sounds like he's rattling. He went back to closet pillow. Just coughed. Yesterday's fluids are still not completely absorbed. Any ideas what's going on? Should I try to help him vomit? I doubt I have anything appropriate anyway, but asking.

8. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

No dx for now. Vet concerned re cancer but based on his labs says see if better, improves first, then if doesn't improve, full body xrays to dx.
    Is it weird that I don't want to put anything on YouTube?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Reason for edit: Clarify
  9. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@PussCatPrince asked if Marje thought pancreatitis...

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

11. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you didn't get a diagnosis yet and he's still having trouble. :bighug: Come on, Myagi, time to perk up, buddy!

I don't want to alarm you, but some of those symptoms sound like heart things to me, coughing coupled with rapid heartbeat and fluids. I started noticing heart symptoms with Asia when we started fluids, they have a blood test that can test for heart disease and tell you if further tests are warranted. Tagging some people with heart experience to weigh in. @Doodles & Karen @Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie

12. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thanks Love. :bighug::bighug: the crf site made it sound like too much fluid could have heart impact that resolves if reduce the fluid (obviously only if caught soon enough). So hopefully this will pass for him. Prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Sigh....yes it could be a heart thing. Not eating, lethargy and the gagging/coughing. Doodles cardiologist told me cats with heart disease don't cough and I kept saying ..well Doodles does. There is a IDEXX test called CardioPet BNP which is about $200 and honestly the best way to DX heart/ CHF is an echocardiogram. X-rays sometimes will catch it. Hopefully this is not relevant and what ever is causing his issues resolves quickly. If he'll eat the EVO, let him...just my 2 cents. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Stacy & Asia

Odd that the cardiologist said that. Beenie also had a cough and it turned out to be heart problems.

There’s also a snap bnp, if your vet offers it, Heidi, it’s an in house lab, should be well less than $200 and is more like a yes/no to give you an indication if an echo is needed.

15. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Stacy & Asia @Doodles & Karen
    Just held him on My chest fur a bit and his little heart is definitely distressed. I still hope this is resolved once he moves past the fluids I gave yesterday.
    Yep, the syringe was so stressful to him, I just gave him ya mature and 13c. He ate about 1tbs of 13c, which is great. He ate quite a bit of ya mature. I know, "cats", but I really don't understand the food thing. He's clearly not completely off food due to dental or illness as he'll eat the dry, occasional chicken, tiny amounts of wet, and he has not vomited one time. Some of the syringe food he even seemed to like (before fluids). So if he's got appy pills and tummy pills and is ABLE to eat, why isn't he???? Btw, catnip, oregano, Bonita flakes, parmesan, etc have all been rejected 100% as ruining any chance of getting him to touch that portion of food!:confused: btw, Millie will probably weigh 2lbs more when Myagi finally feels better (because I pray He will), cause she is just running behind, hoovering everything he rejects:rolleyes:

16. Stacy & Asia

The only thing I can think of about the food is, were those all foods your were trying to get him to eat pre vet (besides or including the evo)? Sometimes they could associate a food to being the cause of whatever made them feel bad and avoid it? Have you tried any wet food recently that he hasn't had previously or didn't have while he was avoiding food pre nausea and appy meds?

Can't blame Millie for being an opportunist but Myagi, are you really going to let her steal your food like that?

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My civie Buster (GA) coughed in the weeks before his stromboembolism, turns out he had HCM. Unfortunately I thought it was a hairball but I learned the hard way it's something to watch out for. Neko's cardiologist also told me to bring her in right away if I heard coughing. She didn't. Neko had very mild HCM (enlarged heart) from her acromegaly, but no heart failure (fluid) for the longest time. It was starting fluids for her kidneys that set off her heart failure. Her initial symptom was inappetance. One good home test is the resting respiration rate or RR. Count the complete number breaths (in and out) per minutes, when he is resting. Ideally should be under 30.

Any chance he has nausea? That would be treated with either Cerenia or ondansetron. You don't want to give appy stims (cypro for example) to a cat with nausea, without treating nausea first. Or they can develop food adversions.

18. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Most were pre vet choices, today's 13c was new flavor (relatively speaking). The mature has been around as topper and Darnell just sent us some more evo. When I made the chicken, he yummed it up, now he'll only take little nibbles, he was excited about the baby food, now have to syringe it. I don't see association with vet as he started this prior, but maybe association with feeling unwell.

And yup, right now Myagi doesn't care what Millie does. He used to mimic her (being a grand dame and all) and drink water if she did, eat soup if she did, look at toys she plays with, eat from her dish... now nada...:( but we are not giving up hope!!!!:bighug:

19. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

:bighug: I can do that test!:bighug:

Could be. Didn't get discussed. He's never been a hairball cat and hasn't vomited so I don't know. I thought D was sending some ondanestron but she sent mertzipan (sp?) And cyproheptadine. Also miralax powder (for diarrhea??).

20. Stacy & Asia

Okay, I totally missed that, he's getting an appy stimulant and something else that isn't anti nausea. I thought it was appy and anti nausea. :facepalm:

That could be it for sure, if he's nauseated, the appy stimulant will make him hungry but he still won't want to eat if he's feeling sick. Have you noticed any lip licking? Or does he seem interested to eat the food, or tries, but then stops?

Miralax is for constipation, which could be another reason he isn't eating, if he's full of poo he might just feel uncomfortable and full.

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That's for constipati0n. You don't want to give miralax to a kitty when they have diarrhea.

22. Wendy&Neko

Mirtazapine (mirtz for short), is another appy stim. Don't give it and cypro together - one negates the effectiveness of the other.

23. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Ya Jenna told me both not to give together and also not to bother with mirtz anyway.

So we've never had nausea issues in our home to speak of. Diarrhea, yes. Nausea, no. Rare hang over would have been dealt with with dry toast. ;)
    Tore house apart, we have tums (toxic to cats right?) And 2 25mg diphenhydramine (which is supposed to help nausea). @Wendy&Neko will that work? Cut in quarters?

24. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

He has neither. Limited poop output seems directly correlated to limited food input. :confused:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  25. Wendy&Neko

I've never used it or heard of it being used for anti nausea. Side effects listed are inappetance. I would check with the vet before giving it, and also for dosing.

26. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Healing vines to Myagi and you. I don't have recommendations or a diagnosis.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

When we syringe-fed Leo, he stressed too. We used 10-12 paper towels each session, in addition to a towel. He didn't like it, but we were trying to get him healthy.

27. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

:bighug: thanks, Jeff:kiss::bighug: this breathing, heart stuff is scary so his stress is potentially less temporary in this instance. It's a difficult balancing act to be sure. I'm trying not to be hard on myself, but I'm the one who wanted fluids at home fur him (it made sense at time and for dehydration situation and inability to run him back and forth to vet) and I'm the one who gave him 200ml and now he's miserable and possibly harmed..... at least he doesn't mind the water via syringe and let's me keep loving on him. :cat:

JeffJ likes this.
  28. Marje and Gracie

All that coughing and gagging worries me, too, having had cats with heart issues. How are his respirations?

Sometimes too much fluid can overwhelm a healthy heart and cause contraction issues. I’ve not seen it resolve on its own. IMHO, if he does it again, I’d get him to the vet ASAP.

I would follow your gut and lay off the fluids.

JeffJ and Myagi (GA) and Heidi like this.
  29. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Speaking with Jenna and Chris the consensus was it wouldn't hurt to try (is used fur nausea) and Jenna said 1mg per lb, so half pill. Gave it a shot, tonight and tomorrow morning and see.

Pmps 204 :banghead:, 0.1u, 13c and evo and mature (if he felt good, he'd be in hog heaven!), hre only ate a tsp of wet but had a decent amount of kibble for insulin.
    Antibiotic, appy med, diphenhydramine in pill pockets. Fought the pills crazy tonight. Amazing how many times you can watch them swallow and they still spit it out!:eek: 3 syringed waters. Btw refused chicken :( miss Millie cleaned his plate!:p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    JeffJ likes this.
  30. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Stacy & Asia famotidine for upset tummy/ acid. He's not full of poo ;) he's not lip licking, but his interest in the food is varying. Some and still not eating and some followed by eating a little. o_O

@Marje and Gracie
    If I did the rr right he's pretty fast, about 60 @Wendy&Neko said Should be 30. But that's If I did it Right. He's definitely calmer and more comfortable than earlier. He is not whistling or rattling anymore. The fluids are still not completely absorbed. But he has no swelling in his legs or paws.
    For sure no more sub q!:oops: I can wish the doc had said less, but I still gave it.
    I'm heeding your middle comment.
    Thanks fur being here:bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ and Marje and Gracie like this.
  31. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome. I have taken cats to the ER for high RR when it didn’t come down when the cat was really at rest for a bit. The other thing is that if he is lethargic and just not interested in anything, I might see if the vet can see him in the morning and listen to his heart. Better to be cautious.

I know you are watching him closely.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.