3/11 Tiger Insulin Question?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger(GA) and Ruth, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Previous Condo

Recap 3/11
    AMPS 281
    +1.5 = 402 :banghead:
    +5=328 :(
    +8=326 :arghh:

Sorry for the lack of participation, I've been doing a lot of reading up on Liver and other forums after our Ultrasound report came back. Marje and Elise if you are reading this, thanks so much for your input and support! Lots of unanswered questions, I just need time to sort it out.

My question: I broke out one of the new pens from Mark's Pharmacy 3/5/2015 AMPS. For Tiger, this had been a pretty good couple of cycles, except that after the new pen, the numbers have been increasing steadily and the only thing that did not occur to me until today was the possibility that the new pens are bad? I know you have all wondered from time to time, but in this case, I don't have any of the last good pen, I used it down to the last drop! :arghh: Do I have to buy a new pack at the Bartell's Pharmacy ($380 for 5 pens as opposed $$155) Thoughts??

P.S. Her last BW was good- urinalysis showed the UTI is gone, which is why I am now almost in a panic state, could she have yet another UTI this quickly? :nailbiting:

Sending continuing healing vines to all the kitties in need-and their humans! :bighug:

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

My first thought is that this is just a failed reduction

She came down pretty quickly from 4.5 to 4 and you only have 2 cycles at 4.25 so far

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

It's not on your spreadsheet, what happened last night? Could she be bouncing, she does seem to like a good bounce.

4. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Thanks guys. Last night should be updated, sorry:
    3/10/15

PMPS 233
    +2= 266
    +4=284
    +8=430 :arghh:

Tiger does like to bounce, it's true and she can't hold reductions, most likely because of other issues with her pancreas and tendency to UTI's. However, the numbers looked just high and flat right after the new pen, that is what had me wondering.

5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You still had greens four shots into the new pen I wouldn't be overly concerned about it being the insulin just yet. I think the more likely answer is Chris' - a failed reduction. I would wait and see for a bit before rushing out to buy more :bighug:

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth,
    You might try one of the other pens in the pack of 5. Does the insulin look clear with no floaties? It's probably ok, but if the bad numbers persist you might try to find a pharmacy that will sell you a single pen. (ask at a hospital pharmacy).

I hope you get all the liver info. straightened out. How is Tiger's belly fur growing back? Rusty will be off to his US in 2 weeks.

Thanks for visiting us,

Ella & Rusty

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

To me it looks like you went down and it failed. Now I don't think you have enough cycles with the increase. Just a hunch though. I'm on my first pen from Mark's now without issues. I would hate to see you buy more if this is either no dose wonkiness or just taking a little longer for the new dose to kick in. I'm glad the infection is gone.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  8. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Thanks Serryn and Ella.
    Ella, all 5 pens looked fine and still do look clear. I just wish I had saved one of the old pens for comparison., because this will bug me now until something happens. I know 9 times out of 10 it isn't the insulin, but she was on a roll for awhile. I will try to post another picture of Tiger's belly, the fur is slowly starting to grow back. Thank you for your input and have a great night!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I agree about the failed reduction. The idea with reductions is that the good numbers that caused the reduction - in her case, the 4 hours of green, including a 48, on 3/4, would have continued after you reduced the dose. As soon as she cleared the resulting bounce she only got to 86 once and then not again. At the point where you saw the 86, you could've gone back up to 4.25u with the next shot. That's the point you can be confident she's lost the 50's-70's she was having before.

You've gone back up to 4.25u but it might take going even higher to get control of things again. I'd give the 6 cycles on 4.25u and see what she can do with it, then re-evaluate and decide if you have to increase again at that point. Hang in there - you'll get her back into greens again!

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the increase - I hope it brings Tiger back into blues and greens again soon. Scritches to sweet Tiger from me.

How far is the border for you? You could always do a road trip when you need pens again.;)

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth. Your ss hasn't been updated and I wondered how Tiger is doing. Is she still high? Did you try a second pen? I hope it wasn't necessary.

12. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth :coffee::)

I would tend to agree: a failed reduction. Good luck with the increase. Sometimes it takes a while to get back on track. It always did with Mannie.

Hope your day has gone well today!

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I see you took the dose up and she had a great day. Hopefully as the dose settles in, you'll see some green.

:bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.