3/13 Asia +8 45, +8.5 57, +9 64, PMPS 96

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-12-asia-amps-267-8-109-10-135-pmps-165.192464/

Made a big mistake this morning! I normally pull the dose out to a little over what is needed because air bubbles all day, every day and put the pen right back in the fridge. Then I measure with calipers and work the air bubbles out. Get other morning meds/supplements prepared and give those and shoot.

Well today I got distracted somehow with the other meds and forgot the caliper/air bubble bit and literally noticed my mistake the moment I pushed the plunger in (it was a tactile realization as I pushed the plunger further than usual). :banghead: I know it was no more than 1.5 (as measured with syringe markings, which can be quite off, thus using calipers) with an air bubble which was not particularly large this morning. I'm so upset with myself and my sleepy brain! I had intentionally staggered her meds out to not be the exact same as shot time for the very reason of getting distracted/preventing mistakes. I combined them back in the am because I have been having a lot of early appointments recently and wasn't here at +1 for several mornings to give her bupe and canna companion...and I'm the only one to give her meds to avoid mistakes like this one, or giving a double dose.

I wish I have thought quickly enough to measure the syringe after the fact and at least see where the 1.5 would measure on my calipers, but as per routine, I went and dropped it in the sharps container posthaste. I really hope it was a less wonky one and I didn't give her something closer to 2 units!!! The last few from this bag have been pretty close to accurate, hopefully this one was too. I've rearranged some things so I can be home all day today and monitor her. :nailbiting:

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Stacy,
    You are not the first person to make this kind of mistake! Don't beat yourself up. I recall a case where a petsitter gave 30 Units instead of 3.0 U! The cat survived. Asia will be fine, and you will be there to monitor today. So don't worry.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Thanks, Ella, I know she will be okay, I'm just so fastidious to prevent things like this from happening. I'm upset that I had a safety net in place with separating the meds and I circumvented it. Have to devise a new one.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's easy to do something like that when we are tired. Asia will be fine. Don't be hard on yourself.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

It's not an exact science, maybe Asia wanted just a tad more......

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

It happens to everyone. I went into full panic mode when I was driving to work and realized I had given Rex more than I planned to give. :nailbiting: It was towards the end of his free fall so he didn't need that extra juice. So I had to run home twice during work to check on him and feed him a snack, just to be safe. :blackeye:

0.25u more isn't nothing compared to the 30u versus 3u like Ella mentioned! :eek::eek:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That's why I prefill the morning shot the night before as I know I'd do the same. I spoke to a pharmacist and they said there is no danger of the insulin becoming ineffective and saw no reason why I could not prefill when I went for my vacation. The doses are so small there is not enough to break down.

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Asia will be fine!!! Don't beat yourself up!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  9. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

10. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Assuming a worst case scenario of no bubble at all, you would've only given her a quarter unit more than her scheduled dose. There's plenty of buffer at 183 to handle what amounts to a couple extra drops.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sure things will be fine. We all do this on ocassion.

One day I "pilled" Jones the treat on forgot the meds.

12. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Yikes! Don't beat yourself up. There's way worse to do in the department of sleepy brains.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Stacy & Asia

I know it’s not that big of a difference, but for her, it seems like when it’s too much insulin, she likes to slam down, not always easy to head that off. If she were on a bigger dose, not so much of a problem, but percentage wise, it’s a largish difference.

14. Stacy & Asia

Well, it seems like she is saving her drama for the pm cycle, lucky me! :confused: I hope it’s just a non issue entirely, more early appts tomorrow morning, two of them, and can’t reschedule these ones without an obscene hit to my wallet.

15. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Groggy? Oh, yes, how well I know that fog. I have done worse - a few days ago, I tested TiTi's BG, put tetracycline on her ear, and totally forgot to give her morning shot. It happens, and our cats get thru it just fine, as will Asia.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It is such a small amount over and maybe it'll be a good mistake. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  17. Stacy & Asia

Ive done that before as well (forgot the shot), but I have an "oh...poop" timer :joyful: set 10 minutes after shot time on my phone for just such instances. I turn it off when I know I gave her the shot, but it's there for me in case I forget.

18. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Good idea! Hmmm.

19. Stacy & Asia

+8 45, there it is!

She just cleaned her bowl of food right before I tested her, going to give her 15 minutes and test again before I go the Karo route, her food had pumpkin in it, so it might just be enough for this late in the cycle. Of course, she could just keep dropping since this cycle is pretty wonky.

Side note, she's happy and just went to sharpen her claws and explore the apartment. :rolleyes:

20. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

OK, that answers that question on dose this morning. :banghead: Big drop in a short period of time.

Time to pull up Asia!:eek:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  22. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Well hey, at least there's that! Never mind your stress and worry, at least someone's having a good time!

23. Stacy & Asia

+8.5 57, she came up a bit in 20ish minutes with pumpkin and radcat. I'm going see what her +9 is and make Karo decision then if she's dropping further vs surfing.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  24. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Surf it, Asia!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. Stacy & Asia

PMPS 96, I was afraid to give Karo so late in the cycle at +10, but at the same time, I didn't want her to go lower and have a food influenced number for PMPS. I decided to just give her 21% gravy and it seemed to do the trick. Back to 1.25 skinny, hopefully it will be a good dose again. I'm expecting more craziness tonight from the larger shot this morning. Hopefully not, but I'm prepared for it.

This has been a sad day for LL. :arghh: Thinking of Heidi and Myagi. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.