3/15/18 - Luci - AMPS 69, 98, 2+83,3+73,4+79,5+82,7+126

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

HELP! This is the first time I've ever seen Luci's numbers this low in the AM. Please advise..DO I give her the AM dose of 2.25 or not? I'm holding until someone responds...
    Just fed her a tablespoon of HC FF (cheddar style).
    Thank you.

2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I think you're supposed to stall without feeding to see if the numbers come up on their own. How long since you fed? Can you wait until no longer food influenced?

3. Sue and Luci

Since no one responded to my 911 I tested again at 20 minutes after HC food - she was up to 98, so I went ahead with 2.25. Trying to shoot based on her Nadirs - which I'm still struggling to find out when/which that is exactly. Fed her HC + MC at 98...will watch her closely for a nosedive.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That 98 is most definitely food influenced with the high carb you gave her. You need to keep testing to make sure she is safe. Not many on the board this early in the am.

5. Sue and Luci

She ate HC - see my post. I went ahead and shot 2.25 - per her nadirs - struggling to get Luci to stay under 100 - it's a challenge.

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Exactly. You shot on a food influenced number. You're supposed to NOT feed and stall.

7. Sue and Luci

Uh oh...too late now...I was reviewing previous advice - shoot on nadirs - not on pre-shot numbers...
    Will check her again in 30 minutes.

8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You're right in that. Also in the fact that you're actually shooting the number she will be at onset (usually +2). I would test at +2 and see what that number is.

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

What was the +2?

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Julie is right. When you get a low number at PS, you stall and not feed. If the number keeps dropping, you either skip (if it's close to 50) or wait to shoot until the number comes up and adjust schedule as needed.

Since you fed at +11 and PS, get a +1 if you haven't, +2, etc to make sure Luci stays safe. Please do post often. We will be watching.

11. Sue and Luci

12. Sue and Luci

Luci is surfing in the lagoon - I'm just hoping just doesn't take a dive - she makes me nervous - but she acts like she's feeling terrific. Stretching and showing her tummy or running around...sauntering like a true queen...
    How often should I test today - this is such a new area for me - being under 100 - I know that's the goal - but it sure is nerve wracking when it's new ...

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  13. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would take another test in an hour after the BG83 read. If the numbers lowered a bit - offer a little LC food - no more than 1-2 teaspoon. Then retest in 60 min. She was low @+4 AM cycle few days back - definitely take the +4 today to see if it repeat itself. Even if she goes up from there - the data will you serve you well in the future.

I hope you both have nice, safe day at the lagoon!

14. Sue and Luci

I think Luci is enjoying the Lagoon! Unbelievably she's still there - 73 at 3+ - still making me nervous - but she's calm, cool, and collected. I'm going to have a heart attack! :) Joking...I hope...But this is sooooo stressful! Is it always like this? The first real day in the Lagoon? I don't know how you all do it! Every time I test I expect to see her flying...but so far she's just right there...surfing...treading water...whatever...I know I'll see this as a blessing at some point - but I've gotten so used to higher numbers...I'm just out of my element. Throw me a life preserver! :facepalm:

15. Tanya and Ducia

:D:D to the 73!

Did you offer small LC snack? It helps many cats to surf at the same level.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  16. Sue and Luci

Luci would say 'Are you kidding'?
    Her mantra is 'will work for food' - in other words, if mama bean pokes my ear and I hold still - I get to eat! YUM!

In all seriousness - Luci was given about a two teaspoon serving of her LC FF Tuna Feast Flaked - it's 9% carbs - I have all the cans marked now - so I know exactly which are the lowest of the low carbs and which tend to be a bit higher...and then of course the emergency drawer (gravy FF, etc.)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  17. Tanya and Ducia

It is often like that on the beginning - and then it gets better.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    When I first started to deal with drops and first green numbers I was terrorized, literally, out of my wits. :joyful::rolleyes:
    You are already doing so much better!
    I hanged on the Board for days - cycle after cycle - seeking help and support and also interpretation of the curves - it helped immensely.
    Then the more I learnt about Ducia's cycles the better I felt. In my case my fear was the heaviest luggage to carry - not the low numbers themselves - I simply didn't know what they meant and was frightened by the unknown.

Number wise you both fine and safe. In fact - wonderful cycle since last night's PMPS - all in healing low numbers. Think of green numbers as being therapeutically for Lucy - while there their pancreas heals.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Sue and Luci

Oh!!! Thank you so much for your kind supportive words! My hands are literally shaking - all morning - I'm so upset and nervous - and excited for Luci! :D:D:D:D
    I cannot believe she's taken this step so gently down to the lagoon! It's almost as if every time I 'pushed' she fought back - always zooming to the highest levels possible...and then she'd slide back down...

But then on the other hand, maybe it just took the dosage of 2.25 to finally introduce her little body to seeing how it all feels to not be loaded up with sugar? I'm in awe of this group and all the kind support! I did freak out this morning early - and posted a 911 - but no one was up - I just had to do what I thought was right 'shoot the nadirs' not the last number..and standby with the carbs and sweet stuff (Karo syrup) if needed. That girl has no idea how many grey hairs she's putting on my head...:bighug::bighug::bighug::rolleyes:

19. Tanya and Ducia

per my copy of Dr. Pierson's chart - Tuna Feast FF Flaked is 5%.
    When you take another test at +4 it'll tel you how well Luci surfs on that type of LC - I hope she will.

If today's testing will bring lowest number at +4 (again) you can start giving her small meal/snacks at +3 regularly - this way if she indeed likes to lower around +4 the fresh carbs fed at at +3 will make the decent milder.

20. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

This is awesome!! This is exactly what Luci needs to learn she doesn't need to bounce every time she sees a green! :D

Sue and Luci likes this.
  21. Sue and Luci

I'm not sure where Dr. Pierson's chart is - but I've been referring to this one: http://catinfo.org/docs/SortableCatFoodChartCatinfo.org2-22-13.htm Please note the FF Classic Tuna Feast is marked 9% carb -
    ancy Feast Flaked Tuna Feast 59 31 9 397 64 14 10 1.50 103 - is this chart inaccurate? If so, please post url for Dr. Pierson's chart - I'll re-mark my cans of FF.

22. Tanya and Ducia

Check out page 14 - FF Flaked Tuna Feast - is that the one you are feeding today?

Attached Files:

23. Tanya and Ducia

bouncing , surely is frustrating - Iv'e been dealing with it for over a year now.:banghead::(:mad::banghead::blackeye::coffee::cool: . *sigh*

I am trying to prevent Ducia's from dropping too many points in one hour and substitute it with gradual descend by food. It helped shortening the bounces a little. Thing might be different for Lucy - her bounces not as epic as what Ducia used to throw at me.
    I think Lucy likes her current dose. Let's see how it unfolds today.

Interesting to learn: a) what carbs% that FF Flaked Tuna is indeed?:confused: If we are talking about the same cans that I'd go with 5% per Dr. Pierson's.
    b) if it 5% and Lucy stays where yo u want her to be - wonderful! It's a huge step ahead to find out cat's response to a certain carbs level.

But if she lowers still by +4 you might want to experiment with feeding her slightly higher than %5 LC at +3 the next time. The day will tell.

I am very happy for Lucy - great numbers so far! Hang in tere - you both are safe, on the right track and going to learn a lot after today to help it in the future.

:):bighug: You are doing fantastic! See around the +4 test.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  24. Sue and Luci

I'm happy to change it to 5% - I thought that was kinda high for flaked tuna...thanks for the info: Here's a pic of my can of FF Tuna Feast Flaked: upload_2018-3-15_12-16-37.png
    She's at 79 now - woo hoo...still in the lagoon! :D:D:D

25. Tanya and Ducia

:D:D

I think it is safe to "assign" %5 value. Make a correction in your S Remark section from 9% at +4 to 5% at +4 for use in the future.ETA: the title line says 83 @+3 but the SS says 73 @+3, which one is it?
    If you 'd fed 9% she'd be much higher (most likely) by now, and you don't want it.
    The 79 at +4 is wonderfully Green and Flat - the best yo u are to wish for for Lucy!:cool:
    Hold on to the food (unless she is staving) and test @+6 - let's see how long she holds around these beautiful numbers without food.
    If she lower significantly by +6 - another Flaked Tuna snack 1-1 1/2 - 2 tsp and retest later. If the same or higher - no extra food until her regular eating time.

26. Sue and Luci

Uh oh...this could be a problem....Luci is a 'grazer' - she will not be a happy camper on the next poke - or any poke for that matter - without a treat to follow. How will I explain to her that she has to wait a couple of hours for a snack? Her regular feeding time is all the time. She used to have kibble in her bowl all day long and it was replenished twice a day - now, no more kibble - so mama bean has to plant a teaspoon or two in her dish after every poke - otherwise she sits and glares at me...I'm sure you're familiar with the 'glare'...she might settle for a piece or two of freeze dried chicken or salmon...but that's just a temporary fix...

I have to say that in one way it's a blessing - Luci will always eat herself out of hypoglycemia - never have to worry about this girl being finicky...she's all about the food...:cat::cat:

27. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Look at Luci go!!! :D:D:D

It’s fine to continue giving her a freeze dried treat or whatever for pokes, but you want to space the meals out as far as you can after nadir. I have to feed Asia after nadir (acid stomach barfing), but the meal is tiny, just enough to have something in her tummy.

Sue and Luci and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  28. Tanya and Ducia

I see. Well, I think small LC snack is all right, then. Just try not to feed by ounces at a time - little food works, too.

@Stacy & Asia put it better than I could!

agree 100% - it is a blessing - I've seen too many CG strugling to feed when a cat goes low, too stressful on eberyone.

Sue and Luci and Stacy & Asia like this.
  29. Sue and Luci

Well, Luci has left the lagoon...It was a good run though! I did not give her any food after her 5+ poke - she looked a bit insulted when I returned her to the sofa on the lanai - where I'd retrieved her from for the poke - but she seemed to get over it ok. After the 7+ poke, however she was having none of that - wanted her snack - so I gave her a couple of bits of freeze dried salmon - and she wolfed it down as if she hadn't eaten all day - then the glare - she'd like to have some more. Just to re-iterate - Luci never gets a full can of food - the biggest portion she gets is at AMPS and PMPS - might go up to half of a 3.5 ounce can. On most days we can stretch a 3.5 ounce can over at least half a day - a teaspoon or two at a time and she's usually happy enough - often at around my dinner time - she's glaring at me and wants her dinner too! And she's not referring to a snack..she's after a full dinner portion - up to half a can - but she has to wait until PMPS...and then she gets to eat her 'meal'...

So glad she didn't do anything too dramatic today - but then the day isn't over yet :):bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  30. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That was a great run indeed, hopefully a sign of many more to come! Please no bouncing, Luci, green is your friend! How is she acting in lower numbers? Is she still happiest in yellows, or is she starting to adjust a bit?

31. Tanya and Ducia

yes, it was, and many more to come I have no doubt!
    truly a blessing - makes it so much easier to control the curve and help them surf in healing numbers.

Imay be wrong but I think she is going to bounce for a little now and you might have a quiet evening.
    However, since she was low today for long and because Lantus makes some kitties do "double dip" late in the cycle I'd take a test at +9 or around it for future ref.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  32. Sue and Luci

That girl acts about the same in every color! She always astounds me because she acts playful and relaxed and like her usual self...stretches out when I walk into the room - miss long and relaxed or she plays 'kill the bird' (the fake one hanging on a stick/string affair)...to look at her you'd never know she was diabetic. She certainly doesn't display any adverse symptoms - except to me she seems to always be famished! Never refuses food - and when she's really hungry - she gets up on the kitchen counters prowling for people food - and has attacked a loaf of bread I had on the stove and a tomato tart that wasn't completely covered up - after the pastry crumbs! I caught her in the act - up there licking the pan - just the crumbs side - not interested in the tomato/cheese side.

But other than that she's sailing through all of this...me, however, I think I'm going to be the casualty here...losing sleep, exhausting poke sessions hourly or ever other hour...but if it will save her life, let's hope I have the stamina to get her to the OTJ finish line! To the Falls, Luci...to the Falls!

33. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Aren't you glad you shot this morning? Shoot low to stay low. :D:cool:

I had a bit of zero carb food around for Neko to snack on after nadir. It helped with her demand for food.

Once your question has been answered, go ahead and remove the ? prefix from your subject line, so that those of us looking who needs help will know that you got your answers.

34. Sue and Luci

Thanks so much! I have to admit it was a nerve-wracking day for me...Luci is just fine however! Glaring at me now - she wants her dinner! :)
    Luci is at 177 now...looks like a bit of a bounce coming... and YES, I'm so glad I went ahead and shot - I had read to follow the nadirs - not the Pre-Shot numbers for guidance...even though she was lower than I've ever seen her - I figured I was prepared - so I went ahead after waiting only briefly - she needs her insulin - after all this time to skip a dose - that wasn't going to help her at all.

Hoping for more visits to the lagoon soon :):bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's addictive. I liked shooting low, cause the cycles are flatter and more predictable.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  36. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I hope so too. Well deserved IMVHO. You did the biz.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  37. Sue and Luci

Luci after her long surf in the lagoon.. 2BB12DA3-B431-485A-9D49-8B55138B028F.jpeg

38. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

She's shiny. :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.